Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,557 times

Advertisements

Boone,NC sounds a lot like what you are looking for. Just make sure you have a job first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
If you want hunting and fishing, you're going to have snakes and bugs.

A Nebraska small town isn't a bad place for all your other criteria but yes, we have snakes and bugs.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Portland, Maine seems to fit the bill but Burlington Vermont may be even better. Also check out Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Each has fresh air, beautiful scenery, low crime and very little flagrant racism.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Hmmmm... no crime, no racism, no pollutants in the water or air, and no bugs OR snakes.

I believe you just described two places - one would be "Xanadu", and the other would be "Heaven". One is fictional, and the other (if you're religious in beliefs) can only be reached once you die.

Not making light of your question, but I mean, really.
If you loosen that criteria just a bit and give maybe some more realistic details such as if you prefer a complete rural area or small Mayberry type town, or, if you want a homogeneous type of neighborhood or one that is more mixed with a variety of people, folks might be able to give you more ideas.

Just keep in mind that as long as there are PEOPLE there - there WILL be some crime, pollution, racism, and bugs. Only if you live among the wolves or something will you completely escape those things.
I notice that on this forum too. So many people come on here and make post like the following:

Hi all I need a new place. Here is the criteria

1)no crime at all. Everybody must be friendly and nice, and not weird.
2)everybody that is single must be good looking, and willing to hook up with me.
2)It must be 72 degrees everyday, except on Christmas. The only day it can't be 72 is Christmas, and on that day it must snow.
3)It can never rain, but water must be abundant so I can water my grass and flush my toilets.
4)The population must be between 74,000 - 76,000.
5) I want some Asians, but I don't want a China town!
6) This place must have major mountains for skiing, the ocean, and a major river all within 10 miles.
7) No bugs. None at all. If I even see a lady bug I will freak!
8) Must have major museums and theaters comparable to N.Y. I know it is only 76,000, but this criteria is a must.

Can this be done?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 56,081 times
this is so true. no place is perfect, you take the bad with the good and prioritize accordingly.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM

30 posts, read 102,899 times
In all my travels there is a place I have been that:

(1) Was as unpolluted as possible (including completely nuclear free)
(2) As crime-free as possible
(3) Where racism wasn't an issue in daily life
(4) Where there are no native snake species (or any reptiles)
(5) Where there are virtually no bugs (and definitely no poisonous ones)
(6) Where the weather is much milder than Wisconsin, but four-seasoned
(7) That is relatively unpopulated and you can still get land for very cheap
(8) While having a few cities that will suffice for any amenities you would need
(9) And is still English-speaking and culturally Western

I am sorry to say, that place does not exist in our beloved home country. Get your immigration papers ready...

The South Island of New Zealand is the closest you can get to your description.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Ithaca, NY. It has a relatively big Asian population at around 15%, a lot of land just outside of the city, known for being very "liberal" and has good schools in the area. I understood what the OP was getting at, but it is funny how odd some of the posts are at times.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I was so set up until the sick of the Mid West thing came along. Maybe Denver, Cheyenne, WY or Billings Montana.
I don't think Denver would work. Oh, the weather criteria can be met, but there's crime here, not much, but enough that Denver and every suburban city has a police force. Denver's air is notorious (though there haven't been any major alerts this winter). There are many good school systems here (is anyone looking for a bad one?), and there is little overt racism. A 3-4 BR home on 5 acres of wooded land is a pipe dream. The cost would be more like $1million. Sorry, we'd love for you to join us here, but I think you'll have to keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca, NY. It has a relatively big Asian population at around 15%, a lot of land just outside of the city, known for being very "liberal" and has good schools in the area. I understood what the OP was getting at, but it is funny how odd some of the posts are at times.
I don't think Ithaca is any warmer than Wisconsin, on average.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I have suggested this to many people with simaler refrences. Syracuse and metro sounds perfect for what your looking for, though i think it gets cold if not colder than WI. and it gets A LOT of snow.

So if you want warmer, i would say Shelton, CT and anything east or north of new haven. It's not warm in the winter, but not unbearable i would say. CT has a beautiful landscape, it's very expensive once you go west of New Haven as you get closer to NYC.
Syracuse is not colder than any area in Wisconsin. Syracuse is a borderline USDA Zone 6. All of Wisconsin is in either Zone 3, 4 or 5.

The Arbor Day Foundation

Syracuse's average winter temperatures are warmer than Chicago. So I doubt, since Wisconsin is north of Chicago, that any place there averages warmer temperatures than Syracuse.

The Syracuse area does get much more snow than Wisconsin since Syracuse is on the leeward side of a Great Lake. The prevailing winds move from west to east. So Syracuse gets lake effect.... while Wisconsin does not.... since Lake Michigan is located east of Wisconsin... so all the lake effect hits Michigan instead.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,938,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Boone,NC sounds a lot like what you are looking for. Just make sure you have a job first!
Do you get snow in Boone??? What about leaf change there? My brother lives near there and he says the colors are nothing like home in Ohio and most trees are of the pine variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.