Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And as it is, as concerns the institution in the United States, the South has nothing to feel guilty about vis a vis the North..
Uh, OK, cool. Should we move the conversation on to Jim Crow?

BTW, why isn't this discussion in the history forum?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.

You don't know if it's okay to buy and sell people as if they were animals? Not sure on that one? A little hazy for you?
People are bought and sold all the time even now. Some people sold themselves for a few years to come to America. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so good, but there are a lot of things that happen that don't seem to be right. It is definitely wrong to mistreat other people, but I see it done all the time. People take advantage of others just because they can. Like a person running for president with the idea that he will take from the rich and give to the poor under the name of taxes. It is happening too. That is just as bad as the greedy CEO's taking advantage of their employees. There is a big difference between someone giving something to charity and the government taking it from them, just because it can. That will not prosper because that kind of greed is not right. I don't care if Robin Hood did do it.

I am not the person that started this thread about something that happened more than 100 year ago, but I am not going to let my ancestors who are dead and cannot defend themselves be badmouthed without comment. None of us were there then and I have learned that you really can't trust history. It is just as true or false as the person writing it. If slavery was wrong, then the South has paid for it over and over and over again. It seems to always be our job to pay.

I don't mind the paying as much as having my hard earned money being used to do something that I consider being worse than Hitler did. Tax dollars of Christian people should never be allowed to be used to murder innocent babies. I know how you feel about me saying I don't know whether slavery is wrong or right because that is how I felt when Obama said he didn't know if abortion was wrong or right. I think they are probably both wrong. I guess that makes Obama just about the same as the slave owners.

Last edited by NCN; 02-20-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, OK, cool. Should we move the conversation on to Jim Crow?
Why not? Go for it. The North didn't have a "name" for it...but we can certainly discuss the reality of it. What part of it would you like to talk about? Segregation as in fact? Race riots? Which were worst? North or South?

Quote:
BTW, why isn't this discussion in the history forum?
LOL Hell, that is what I have been wondering about the whole time!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-20-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
People are bought and sold all the time even now. Some people sold themselves for a few years to come to America. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so good, but there are a lot of things that happen that don't seem to be right. It is definitely wrong to mistreat other people, but I see it done all the time. People take advantage of others just because they can. Like a person running for president with the idea that he will take from the rich and give to the poor under the name of taxes. It is happening too. That is just as bad as the greedy CEO's taking advantage of their employees. There is a big difference between someone giving something to charity and the government taking it from them, just because it can. That will not prosper because that kind of greed is not right. I don't care if Robin Hood did do it.

I am not the person that started this thread about something that happened more than 100 year ago, but I am not going to let my ancestors who are dead and cannot defend themselves be badmouthed without comment. None of us were there then and I have learned that you really can't trust history. It is just as true or false as the person writing it. If slavery was wrong, then the South has paid for it over and over and over again. It seems to always be our job to pay.
... no. Just... no.

As I stated in my earlier post, you can say that, as a matter of policy, the South was within its rights to secede and you may have a valid point.

But this? Talking about how slavery is somehow okay because it still happens today and Barack Obama got elected?

I mean, seriously.

Seriously? Are you listening to yourself?

If you honestly think that means slavery was or is okay, I sort of wonder how you'd feel if you were one of those slaves, yourself. They were people. Not one bit different than you or me.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
Wow.

This thread is disheartening.

I can't believe that so called "Christains" are using the Bible to defend slavery in the 21st century. There is absolutely no way to defend it.

Tearing families apart, taking people from their homeland on filthy ships where most of them died, only to be forced to do hard labor, while regularly being beaten and raped. Yep, that seems like something that Jesus would approve.

..and people wonder why southerners have a bad image in the rest of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Tax dollars of Christian people should never be allowed to be used to murder innocent babies.
This is the first thing you have said that I agree with. Our tax dollars should not be used to murder innocent babies in Iraq and Palestine.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And you may want to go back and read the part where it states that slavery in the north was a "drop in the bucket" compared to the south. As the writer also notes, agragrian slavery didn't take hold in the north like it did in the south. It seems natural, consequently, that the abolitionist movement gained more of a foothold in the north. And while climatic and economic circumstances may have limited slavery's reach in the north, and not morality, that doesn't negate the fact that slavery had its strongest foothold in this country in the south. And, as a prior poster noted, had the south won, slavery would've continued on for some time.
LOL Do you think I would have posted it if I had not read the whole thing? Apparently, you only read the preface. Have you read the corrallary links?

To wit, that not a single northern state outright emancipated slaves? And that in some states, blacks could not even legally reside?

Read it all carefully...as to how many northern states regarded the presence of blacks. And the history of the treatment....

Quote:
Let me be fair.......Slavery was certainly not the only cause for the south. There were true economic concerns. But to attempt to discount it as an issue important to southern leaders at the time is being intellectually dishonest.
Of course, the basic issue of slavery cannot be discounted. It would be foolish of me to say otherwise. And yes, the issue that brought it to a head was slavery in the territories. But it was not as a moral issue. What it came down to was that many northern leaders just didn't want blacks into the same said territories...

Same as they didn't into their own home states.

So which cancels out which? Gen. Grant once said, in effect, he would fight for the South if he thought it was over slavery.

Quote:
The whole argument is sort of like that of the war on drugs........We attack the supply, but the supply wouldn't exist without the demand.
True. I agree....as concerns the war on drugs. Which is why, even as a conservative, I am highly ambivilent on what is the "best" approach....

However, in the historic terms of slavery? If there was really such a moral objection? Then why did northern slave traders keep it up?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 PM

23 posts, read 57,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Wow.

This thread is disheartening.

I can't believe that so called "Christains" are using the Bible to defend slavery in the 21st century. There is absolutely no way to defend it.

Tearing families apart, taking people from their homeland on filthy ships where most of them died, only to be forced to do hard labor, while regularly being beaten and raped. Yep, that seems like something that Jesus would approve.

..and people wonder why southerners have a bad image in the rest of the country.

This is the first thing you have said that I agree with. Our tax dollars should not be used to murder innocent babies in Iraq and Palestine.

In some ways I'm more disgusted with right wing religious freaks in this country than anywhere else in the world. For example, a Muslim fundamentalist is brainwashed since the time hes a little child and hails from a country that doesnt have free access to the truth such as we have here. They never had a chance and neither would any of us were we born there.. However, what's the excuse for somebody living in this nation to cite a fairy tale book written by primitives thousands of years ago as an excuse and justification for one of the most horrendous acts in this nations history and then call it states rights?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Wow.

Who is defending slavery...?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 PM

23 posts, read 57,479 times
Bumped from the top. Read the words and let them sink in. Any despicable act Here's Mississippi's Declaration of Secession From The Federal Union - 1861.

===========================
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union - 1861

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
[+] Rate this post positively
throughout the course of humanity has always had a justification. Slavery and the Souths fight to keep it for $$$$$ is no different. It is spelled out so clearly here.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Who is defending slavery...?
NCN has openly defended slavery.

Others have made it seem that slavery wasn't that bad - comparing it to an indentured servant. Yes, indentured servitude was rough, but it was nothing like slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.