Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 04:19 PM

105 posts, read 235,346 times

Advertisements

North v South threads?

Do you dislike each other that much?

Coming from an outsider I've read some threads on here and thought they hate each other.

and that's Coming from someone who has witnessed mass murder, bombings, and hatred of each others community.

So,do people in the south hate Northerners?

Do Northerners feel superior because they won the civil war.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:50 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post
North v South threads?

Do you dislike each other that much?

Coming from an outsider I've read some threads on here and thought they hate each other.

and that's Coming from someone who has witnessed mass murder, bombings, and hatred of each others community.

So,do people in the south hate Northerners?

Do Northerners feel superior because they won the civil war.
Basically it's like this, the Northern states quit fighting the civil war about 150 years ago. The Southern states never really stopped, no active aggression on their part but they really never let it go. Lived with quite a few "rebs" in the military and lived in Florida for two years and I don't think I met too many born-in-the-south (males especially) that didn't bring it up at one point or another. Maybe it's just the ones I came in contact with but it was pretty consistent. Personally I don't hold any animosity and have always enjoyed myself down there but there's no denying that part of the culture exists. No offense intended Johnny Reb.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,532,846 times
It's just on this forum. The Southerners always feel like they have to be defensive on this board because of self-righteous comments like the one above.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,851,712 times
What Ghengis said.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,855,217 times
What Westerner said.

I live in the North, by the way. From my personal exposure to Northerners with the anti-Southern attitude, i would say their sense of superiority has nothing to do with having won the Civil War. It just seems to be an unfortunate truth of human nature that there are many insecure people who feel the need to knock others down in order to make themselves feel as if they're worth anything. Sad but true. Because the South, until recent decades, has historically been a largely rural region, while parts of the North have long been highly urban, the ancient snobbery of city dwellers viewing themselves as superior to their country cousins makes the South an especially tempting target for any residents of large urban areas in the North who happen to be of that pathetically insecure nature that necessitates their taking a condescending attitude toward others if they are to feel important themselve.

Race issues also have an effect on this. While a truly enlightened, thinking person will recognize the complexity of racial issues, a Northerner of that insecure sort will tend to ignore the history of various racial tensions in the North, and will find a ready reason to feel superior to Southerners in the South's old history of racial troubles, which a Northerner who happens to be of that insecure type finds it convenient to assume still exists with the same intensity today.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,778,844 times
But um.... doesn't THIS thread only add one more "north and south" thread?

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.