Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

This movie shows a good clip of what it looks like landing in NY. Such a classic scene, especially with him going all around the city in awe. It makes me get all warm inside and makes me proud to be in NY, I love this scene But seeing Kevin on top of the WTC makes me cry

The neighborhood in the foreground when he looks outside is my neighborhood I'm pretty sure if I saw the movie in HQ and looked close enough, I could probably see my building.

Scroll to 4:48

YouTube - Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) Is Sub -TVrip- Pt. 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
I'm no geographer and I prefer not to have a window seat but I can think of a couple times I've been flying and looked out the window and seen remarkable landscapes.

Melbourne to Denpasar, once you begin leaving mainland Australia behind at Broome, (flying across the centre of Australia was fascinating enough but then) looking down at the impossible turquoise of the water in contrast to the red of the earth of the archipeligo is so amazing it took my breath away AND had me hankering to visit Broome before I'd even made it to Denpasar.

LAX to Seattle then Seattle to Vancouver would have to be some of the most interesting viewing from an airplane window ever! Being able to view the snow capped mountains and then all the little islands was just magical! I thought I'd be bored when I realized there'd be no inflight entertainment, but I need not have worried! I ended up with a sore neck but it was a visual feast!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
I love flying along coastlines because you can tell where you are (well, if you're like me and constantly look at maps you can). I fly Boston-Halifax a few times a year and it fits the bill. You can see the bay of fundy on both sides and the southern tip of nova scotia is clear. Not much for mts but you can see the annapolis valley clearly and the islands off maine look amazing too.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I also flew the Pacific COast, leaving LAX, which followed the coast along a great circle toward Korea. Flew over the Aleutians, too.

One of the most interesting was a flight over the outer Bahamas. I saw little islands that had only one or two buildings and one truck and a bit of road.

I flew over the Greek Islands around 9 am, in bright sun, and the islands looked like gold jewelry displayed on an almost black display board. Saudi Arabis is interesting to see now much center-pivot irrigation there us. Flying over the Sahara Desert at night, you can see the campfires of travelers.

Flying over the mountains in southern Bolivia, it is impossible to imagine that the contours of the ground can be so haphazardly and steeply convoluted, with no discernable linearity, and it makes one wonder how it was ever possible for anyone to get across that on foot. It was right at sunset, and the shadows cast by the peaks were unbelievable.

All Ive heard about the tropical rainforest disappearing, you can fly hundreds of miles over the Amazon, and it is absolutely unbroken canopy, with only rivers to break the monotony.

But the coolest view Ive ever had was when the cloud cover over the Alps is lower than the peaks, and you can fly over the continuous white fluffy cloud underlay, and see nothing but the craggy snow-covered peaks poking up into the sunlight.

Sorry, this is the USA section, and I guess I drifted.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I flew over the Greek Islands around 9 am, in bright sun, and the islands looked like gold jewelry displayed on an almost black display board. Saudi Arabis is interesting to see now much center-pivot irrigation there us. Flying over the Sahara Desert at night, you can see the campfires of travelers.
That's cool, I'll be flying that same route this July. I'll be flying from here (NYC) to Athens. I looked at the flight pattern, and it takes us over Greenland and over most of Europe as we travel from northern Europe to southern Europe. I'm really looking forward to looking out the window on that flight

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's cool, I'll be flying that same route this July. I'll be flying from here (NYC) to Athens. I looked at the flight pattern, and it takes us over Greenland and over most of Europe as we travel from northern Europe to southern Europe. I'm really looking forward to looking out the window on that flight
Flying into Seattle is also a trip, especially if you're coming from any points east. Seeing all the mountains and glaciers larger than life rising out of the flat earth is more impressive than when flying into any other city in the lower 48. I'm a bit of a geography dork too so I really dig the flights into Europe from the N. Atlantic, the ones that take you directly over southern England. The entire southern mass of that giant island looks exactly as it does on a map, if you can actually see it on a rare cloudless day.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Flying from Atlanta to Tokyo was memorable for the experience of flying over the North Pole.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Flying from Atlanta to Tokyo was memorable for the experience of flying over the North Pole.
I was going to ask if you flew over the North Pole in the daytime or night time, then I scratched my head and realized that is a meaningless question. the North Pole is in all time zones at once. OK---did you fly over in summer (light) or winter (dark)>

Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was going to ask if you flew over the North Pole in the daytime or night time, then I scratched my head and realized that is a meaningless question. the North Pole is in all time zones at once. OK---did you fly over in summer (light) or winter (dark)>
Summer. So beautiful.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
1) Flying Kathmandu to Biratnagar in the eastern part of the country. You fly past the Himalaya and can actually see the tip of Mt Everest at one point.

2) Flying into Auckland airport and seeing the bays and islands as the plane circles around

3) Flying into Denver, but make sure you're on the right (correct) side of the plane because otherwise all you see is Kansas. On the other side you get to see the whole of the Front Range of the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.