Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that "old-money" treated her badly. I could expect it from "new money," however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 37,422 times
Default good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
17, single, Detroit.

10) Poor education. Very high illiteracy rate, to boot. And it isn't just that people don't appreciate intellectual pursuits, they despise them.

9) No respect for the environment. People will throw their trash wherever they like. They drive several expensive SUVs and large vehicles that they will never put to any reasonable use. You can't talk to people about respect for the planet, they'll stare at you like an alien. Putting your recyclables into the recycling bin, even if it's just right next to the trash bin, makes you a hippy. Eating organic foods makes you a hippy.

8) Poor infrastructure. The roads are in terrible disrepair.

7) Terrible transit. Only buses, which run rather unreliably and are shabby themselves. Bus stops have no windows when it rains or in the winter. No rail, no metro, none of that.

6) Very narrow minded on race across all ages and ethnic groups.

5) Not a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's within the city limits. You have to go out of the city in order to get decent organic/health foods.

4) No shopping either. Not a mall or decent clothing store inside the city limits.

3) Hopeless politics.

2) No respect for artistic pursuits. There are few people here who could be arsed to care about mid 20th century abstract expressionists. No one can name more than 5 (real) authors. No one watches a single film or listens to a single musician/band that hasn't been pushed on them by the Entertainment Industrial Complex.

1) Poor sense of style. Oversized white t's and clown pants are the furthest from chic you could possibly get.

Most of this could be applied to a multitude of other American cities.

What's keeping me here is that I haven't completed secondary yet. I plan to go to Montreal(University of Montreal, Quebec at Montreal, or Concordia) if possible. I love the city. It's so cosmopolitan yet so affordable. Boston(BU, Suffolk, Emerson), San Francisco(SFSU), New York(NYU- Not likely), Brussels, Lyon.

My friend loves Montreal and is trying to convince me to move there, so I will visit this summer. I like Boston and my daughter wants to move to San Francisco (she wants to act) and I went to NYU and loved every experience (very costly) only received my Associates. I am single mom and want to finish my degree before moving again, its tough and if money wasnt an issue I would move tomorrow! Good luck with school and stay positive

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I generally like where I live, but could easily come up with 10 dislikes

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

1. Extremely bad drivers that should have their license revoked. People here stop on green and go on red.
2. Poorly synchronized traffic lights make every non-highway trip much longer than it should be.
3. Not very many pedestrian friendly areas.
4. Whatever little mass transit that exists is useless.
5. Housing is still overpriced relative to local wages.
6. Not very much history, and what little of it there is tends not to be well preserved.
7. "Pain clinic" capital of the US where you can "legally" buy Oxycontin.
8. Mediocre and overcrowded public schools.
9. Not a lot of shade trees in most neighborhoods.
10. Gas prices are high compared to other parts of the state and country.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
bchris02 lives in little rock

he said they have a church inside the mall there
They have churches in shopping centers everywhere. NY, NJ included.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
If you're trying to generalize all of the South with that statement, then you're pretty far from the truth. Granted, people do get married at younger ages here than most of the US, but 14? Come on now... Let's be realistic. I have friends that married in their early 20's and I have heard of people marrying that are 18/19, but to say that the average age is 14 is ridiculous. I married just last year and I am 26. I have many friends that are my age or older who are not married. If I had to guess, I would say the average age here at marriage is 23-24.
The only state that has a median age at first marraige below 22 years old is Utah. Every other state is at least 22.8 for women and the lowest, except for Utah, for men is around 25 yrs old.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,843 times
1. Traffic
2. Around here, you're surrounded by 7,000,000 people, most of whom ar a**holes, they're in a hurry, and you are in their way.
3. Rude drivers. It's a shame that we live in a culture where someone can do something rude to you on the road, and then flip you off.
4. Traffic.
5. Light pollution. I love the night sky. It's beautiful. I could get lost just staring up at the stars. That is, of course, if I could see them.
6. Horrible air quality. Nothing like that healthy puke-brown glow.
7. Traffic.
8. Sprawl. The Metroplex is like a cancer, spreading unabated and overtaking every once rural, quiet community in its path and ravaging it with cookie-cutter subdivisions and Wal-Mart Supercenters until there is nothing left to consume.
9. Overdevelopment. By 2050, I'm certain that there will not be a square foot of undeveloped land in the greater D/FW area. That includes highway medians, alleys, church courtyards and those little strips of land that lie between the curb and the sidewalk.
10. Did I mention traffic?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Ummm, this is news to me and I've lived here my whole life...lol. Prove this please.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I had never seen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
on Long Island. I lived there for 20 years and only moved to Florida 2 years ago. Changed that much in 2 years?????? Upstate? Way too RURAL to have a church in a shopping mall. Too much LAND available to have to do that.

Is Jersey that different? I never saw one in a shopping mall in Jersey either.

This isn't the SOUTH.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
I've never even seen one anywhere in Michigan. That's why it sounded so bizzare to me in the first place...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ummm, this is news to me and I've lived here my whole life...lol. Prove this please.
I have seen dozens in the Bronx alone.
Many storefront churches in Manhattan, you pass by 6 or more just heading from the Bronx to Manhattan on the express bus.

If you noticed, I said shopping centers since NYC does not have many malls that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.