Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisSweet View Post
There's a church in Southridge Mall in Des Moines, IA.

It's called the: "Lighthouse Community Church" it's funny.

But I think that's just because the mall is despirate for tendents.
Right....I never see churches in successful malls, but its not uncommon in dead/dying malls. Anything to bring the people in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonicaALEX View Post
Agree with all of these 10, but #1 is especially true. They are pretty miserable and angry aren't they?

A lot of those are career/money related. Some of us do just fine here. When you don't have a job or work a job you hate, of course those things will bother you.

By the way, how long have you lived in NY SantamonicaAlex?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A lot of those are career/money related. Some of us do just fine here. When you don't have a job or work a job you hate, of course those things will bother you.
It's pretty much this way anywhere. I could tolerate this podunk hick town (Little Rock) back when I was working a better job. Now, I am miserable day in and day out, and can't wait to get out of here.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Right....I never see churches in successful malls, but its not uncommon in dead/dying malls. Anything to bring the people in.
I would call the Mall of America an extremely successful mall.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's pretty much this way anywhere. I could tolerate this podunk hick town (Little Rock) back when I was working a better job. Now, I am miserable day in and day out, and can't wait to get out of here.
This is still a YOU problem, not a Little Rock problem.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I generally am ok with where I am, Charlotte,NC. But even there are some issues that "Grind my gears"

Here they are in no order:

1. Overgrowth in the past several years, which leads to overcrowding schools, roads, green space being lost forever, etc.

2. Whining transplants who complain about how our city is not like "back home", the "this is how we did it back in (insert state here) so we want you to adapt to our ways" and the "We are better than you" attitudes comes into play here. Of course, not all transplants are like this, but too many of them are.

3. People moving here without jobs, they expect to get one but then end up working at Target, Food Lion, etc. and taking away first-time workers oppurtunity's etc because everything else is taken.

4. Ridiculous driving habits, "Oh I'll pull out in front of you at the last second but then I'll drive 15 under the speed limit". People here for some reason refuse to turn on their headlights when it is raining outside too.

5. Snobs, maybe they are everywhere, but it sincerly annoys me when I go to a shopping center and I see people who are too damn lazy to find a parking spot so they park in the street and create traffic hazards while chatting to their best friend on the phone about how rude we are because we fail to realize that the world revolves around them. Oh and too far to walk to put the shopping cart back? no problem, just leave it where it is and hopefully someone will move it.

6. Way too many newscasts- Why do we need 3 ten pm newscasts here? and why do they cut into syndicated TV program scheduling to add more newscasts? And why start the news at 4 pm and keep it going until 8?

7. Overhyped and overdramatic weathermen. There's a thunderstorm you say, WELL THEN GOSH-DARN IT WE'RE GOING LIVE ON-AIR RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END, PLEASE SCREAM AND RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can understand if there is a severe storm that the need to cut into tv programming is neccesary, but these people take it to the extreme everytime it rains, and yet they never seem to learn from it.

8. The "hug-a-thug" program. "Your honor, he has been arrested 50 times for attempted murder, but he says he is sorry and won't do it again". Judge speaking " Not guilty, just don't do it again" which translates into, "Oh I'll see you tomorrow for the same crime but I'll still let you go because I know what a good boy you are"

9. The local sports media. Anything that isn't Carolina Panther, UNC, or (sometimes) NASCAR related tends to get tossed aside. Case in point, when Duke won their title in 2001, there was barely a word about it anywhere. When UNC won in 05 and just recently, it's all the talk for weeks. The Carolina Hurricanes playoff run recently got little talk (again) this season from the charlotte sportscasters, although some did seem to get a little more interested than in year's past.

hmm, guess that's it.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This is still a YOU problem, not a Little Rock problem.
No, the problem is that he doesnt like the bible belt culture

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 AM

63 posts, read 238,496 times
LOL, "hug a thug." That's ridiculous. When those people judges left off so easily end up murdering someone, the judges should be held accountable as well.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Case in point, when Duke won their title in 2001, there was barely a word about it anywhere. When UNC won in 05 and just recently, it's all the talk for weeks. The Carolina Hurricanes playoff run recently got little talk (again) this season from the charlotte sportscasters, although some did seem to get a little more interested than in year's past.

hmm, guess that's it.

That's b/c UNC is NCs school, Duke is a school in NC, the one that all of those uppity transplants go to. Any true North Carolinian bleeds Carolina Blue

Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM

125 posts, read 448,339 times
Reading

1. The ghetto loving culture of most the city. Most people don't feel trapped in the ghetto as much as they feel that they are part of it and want it to remain ghetto.(the stop snitching thing got big here)

2.The school district. When the school board gets in to chair fights you know theres a problem.

3.The giant red county surrounding the city. When you live the urban life yet are in an area dominated by the Applebees life..what do you have at the end of the day?

4. The incompetent police in the city and nazi police in the suburbs.

5.Lack of anything to do for the young and single. We have one real night club and its laughable at best.

6.NIMBYs who seem to oppose anything positive..suprisingly most NIMBYs live miles away in the suburbs and complain about the goings on of the city while we in the city beg and push for innovation.

7. New Yorkers who want to turn Reading into what New York was before it got renovated.

8. corrupt politicians

9. Violent youth. It becomes sad when riots are a common sight and everyone you know as a "getting jumped" story.

10. Terrible drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.