Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 PM

129 posts, read 467,792 times

Advertisements

Texting while driving is a MILLION times more dangerous than talking while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
First, here' an interesting article found today: Americans still texting while driving despite bans (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090520/lf_nm_life/us_driving_texting - broken link)

It seems to vary state by state, and apparently nearly half of Tennessee drivers seem to text while driving now. , but it's apparently a larger problem than some may think here.

I have relatives that live overseas, and they told me (um, via text but not while driving) that the laws are varied there, but they really don't have a huge problem with people who text while driving. My Aunt said that even seeing people talking while driving appears to her to be much less prevalent than it is here (though there are more laws over there aimed at it, too).

So - admit it - do YOU text while driving? If so, why? Will you rethink it or stop if you do? etc etc. Discuss, debate, DON'T flame or fight...
guilty, but I have to because if I don't foward the message some dead girl will come into my room at night and kill me. No, but seriously....is it ok if I text while at a red light??

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,359 times
Cars should have a device that automatically turns off text devices when people turn on the engine. Then when the key is removed, texting can resume!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I've never sued anyone in my life. If I was ever hit by one of these morons texting it woud be another scenario, especially with severe injuries or if a death was caused. I would immediately hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit based on what the law would allow in this type situation. Texting requires typing, your eyes and fingers on a little keypad. Driving the car requires looking at the road, your hands on the wheel and watching other traffic period. Driving requires your utmost attention. Enough is enough. If people can't get their act together while driving then SUE THEM UNTIL IT REALLY HURTS.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
I sometimes text while driving, but I try not to. If I'm in the car with someone, I'll ask them to text for me.

A couple weeks ago in Boston a Green Line train crashed into another train in Government Center because the shemale conductor was texting his/her (its?) girlfriend. Texting is much worse than talking while driving.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Angry If you send text messages while driving..

...you have a reservation waiting for you in hell.

Exaggeration? Only a little...

I've almost been hit by a few of these people. And yeah, I'll bet that those texts were urgent, too...real emergencies..pathetic.

Put down your toys, and pay attention to the road.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Seriously, folks. WHAT could POSSIBLY be so important that you have to text someone while driving, and so urgent that you can't take 15-45 seconds to pull over somewhere to do it, instead of doing it while your vehicle is moving?

What? Seriously. Explain the incidence that was that important.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
Quote:
Seriously, folks. WHAT could POSSIBLY be so important that you have to text someone while driving, and so urgent that you can't take 15-45 seconds to pull over somewhere to do it, instead of doing it while your vehicle is moving?

People need to know who won American Idol....

Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...you have a reservation waiting for you in hell.
I've probably already got the finest seat in the house waiting for me. Texting ain'y gonna make it any better.

Quote:

To answer your question, and considering I do most definitely write on my phone while driving, the important thing that necessitates I text (or email - it's a Blackberry) is money. I'm in sales, and I'm on the road a lot. If responding to an email in light traffic means the difference in a grand or two on my paycheck, then you better believe I'll be typing like a madman. If I'm not on the freeway, I'm more likely to pull over, especially if a long email is necessary. But, if I'm on the freeway, it's a different story.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:

I refuse to pull over during traffic; I'll never reach my destination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.