Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Well the obvious choice is nearby San Francisco but then there's the cost factor. Maybe cities in the bay area that are liberal and not too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpycroft View Post
My father is a transperson and is moving out of the Sacramento area due to lack of housing options and safety concerns. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on a safe area (with a vibe of provincetown / castro etc), not too expensive, where transpeople can live? and find work?

just thought I'd give it a shot.

thanks all!
If your father is a "passable"-transgender then your father could probably move to any major city with minimal problems, especially if your father has the paperwork and birth certificate all sorted out.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,048 times
I live on Cape Cod and PROVINCETOWN is absolutely the BEST place for you to live if youre a transsexual, unfortunately its very expensive so a GREAT alternative is to live closeby. Anywhere on Cape Cod is perfect because its just a short drive to Provincetown.

Everyone in the LGBT community should move here ! Its just the best ! Massachusetts has Marriage equality as well as being very accepting toward the LGBT community !

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
St. Petersburg Florida
Miami Beach Florida

I love Transgender Women!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Cleveland, Ohio is a pretty good place for LGBT and has the advantage of a very reasonable cost of living.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Here i go again with the questions.

How does one know if someone is transexual or not?
Meaning if your father looks like a female,he could roam about any city and be safe,just like any other female.
Maybe I'm a clutz though and your talking about marriage or something.
Is your Dad a crossdresser who dresses like a woman at night and a man during the day?
I can definately see that being a safety issue,but if he already had the surgery,it wouldn't make a deifference.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times
i dont know of any im just starting my transition all is i can say i use to live down thare in fortlauderdale fla/ cooper city fla since 10 till 40 im 45 now its a great place and they have the beach on week ends / and my good friend stays downthare in ftl he's 40 yrs old now its expencive to live thare hollywood is cool sunrise on the outside the city is ok if u allso like the humity real bad .......if that helps anybody out .....have a great day ....and girls rock

Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,869 times
Not sure if anybody has suggested it yet, but Salt Lake City would be good as well. Yes, I know it seems kinda ironic given that Utah is considered a very conservative state, but I've heard nothing but good things about the LGBT population living there. Plus, it defintly checks out with the cost of living qualification. It's one of the reasons it's high on my list.If that doesn't seem to appealing, try Seattle? That's my second choice atm.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,080 times
TG Girl Full time legal female in Houston:
WHERE can i WORK without all the b.s.?
I've endured some petty anty racist/transphobia here...

WHERE in my own home town can i work already?
WHICH cities would HIRE me and NOT screw me around??
Monica

Pissed off @ Houston
I remain Ya'lls sincerely..
Monica...

Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I have some of those very same questions.........but not for me, for somebody very close to me, and I worry about it quite a bit. How will this person fit in if he/she changes into what he/she isn't now? What will people think of this person and will this person be the subject of vicious attacks (physical or psychological)? I mean, life is hard enough as a (stereotypical) "normal" person, but I can only imagine the level of B.S. a transgender individual must go through on a day-to-day basis! It's not like being gay/lesbian/bi -- three widely-accepted members of the LGBT community -- where America has come to grips with the fact that there is a small but moderate percentage of people who are different in a way that causes some people to be uncomfortable. Besides, you can't NECESSARILY identify a gay/lesbian/bi individual like you probably could a transgender individual. At least, not to the same extent.

Also, and I don't mean to raid the thread (that was sort of hijacked by another poster anyways), what is it about the "transformation" that makes life for people who are transgender somehow more complete/easier/better? It seems to me that by making that change you make the decision to be the outcast, instead of fitting in, but I assume that the comfort-level or quality of living offsets any of that discomfort you take on. Is that the case?

I would love to know what motivates the person in my life who's going through this to do the things he/she is doing right now, because it is so hard on everybody else he/she knows in their life (not to mention him/her)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.