Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFresh&New View Post
I've watching that campaign and also been talking to my ATLlien friends and I can ASSURE you that the "keep our mayor black" is coming from the politicians and not the people.
I'm not sure how much is coming from whichever side, but even if it is a small issue overall, local politics just aren't as "racialized" here in Charlotte as they are in some other cities.

Quote:
I bet they would vote the Black guy (dem right?) due to the influx of liberals.
Has nothing to do with liberal/conservative. Actually there wasn't a whole lot of difference between our mayor-elect and his opponent as far as platforms were concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Your 2nd black mayor? Atlanta has been electing black mayors since 1972...yet Atlanta has more "racial tension"? That makes no sense.
I figured you'd pop up when I said this, LOL.

Firstly, our mayors in Charlotte don't have term limits like they do in Atlanta. Our outgoing mayor decided not to run for re-election after holding office for 14 years. Our first Black mayor was elected in 1983. After him, we elected our first female mayor in 1987. Secondly, yes Atlanta does have some more underlying racial tension than Charlotte. I didn't say it has a lot of it, but it's there. Maybe "tension" isn't the correct word though; could be more like "worries" or something like that. That's natural when we live in a majority-White country, a city is majority Black and has had Black leadership for several years now, and now more Whites are moving to the city and its possible that the successive string of Black mayors might be interrupted. There are natural concerns about the shift of power on the part of some Blacks. Not everyone is necessarily going to like that. All I'm saying is that we don't have such issues in Charlotte. That doesn't make us a better or worse city; it just is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
haha! Trust me, I've been "token" all my life! I'm grateful for the networking power I acquired but I'd rather live with the community. I'm a marketing major (BA) by the way. As for GA...sigh..besides the trannies and flashy lifestyle I've seen during my numerous trips to Georgia...the market is WAY too flooded. I'd rather work with a city that needs the new blood and will not put me on the back burner. Atlanta, with all it's spendor, defienity has become competitive whereas places like Charolette (suffering from the mistake of putting all it's steam into the finance industry) needs the help to diversify their industries.

I've had friends who graduated from Howard U. They saw the "well-to-do" are quite stuck up
LOL trannies in GA? How ever did they get here? My smelling salts, please!
Thank you for awakening me to this grave problem that exists in my city.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 33,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL trannies in GA? How ever did they get here? My smelling salts, please!
Thank you for awakening me to this grave problem that exists in my city.
Atlanta holds one of the highest percentage of Black LGBT members nationwide, lets not be foolish here. I made the drastic mistake of visiting lenox mall around labor day. Never again.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Atlanta holds one of the highest percentage of Black LGBT members nationwide, lets not be foolish here. I made the drastic mistake of visiting lenox mall around labor day. Never again.
Yes, let's not. I've been going to Lenox Square Mall and a lot of other malls in this city my entire life and I have no idea what you're talking about .

Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
A couple of times when I visited Lenox, it was obvious that it was something of a magnet, I guess you could say, for gays. It didn't bother me, but I suppose I see where YoungFresh&New is coming from to a certain extent, especially if he's a bit uncomfortable around that sort of crowd.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
A couple of times when I visited Lenox, it was obvious that it was something of a magnet, I guess you could say, for gays. It didn't bother me, but I suppose I see where YoungFresh&New is coming from to a certain extent, especially if he's a bit uncomfortable around that sort of crowd.
No more so than an upscale mall in DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles or Seattle. Good luck to the OP in the attempt to avoid LGBT people in any large city...including the workplace. You will encounter them in all facets of your life.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM

475 posts, read 685,325 times
Quote:
Hmmm... Went to the largest shopping mall during the largest Black Gay Pride Weekend celebrated in the world. Probably wasn't a good idea if you did not want to see gay people. That was a "mistake" indeed.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
*she's*

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No more so than an upscale mall in DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles or Seattle. Good luck to the OP in the attempt to avoid LGBT people in any large city...including the workplace. You will encounter them in all facets of your life.
I'm not trying to avoid completely but certain cities create communities specifically for certain lifestyles (like san fransisco) and Atlanta is one of those cities.

But enough about this. I'm trying to move somewhere safely!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Hmmm... Went to the largest shopping mall during the largest Black Gay Pride Weekend celebrated in the world. Probably wasn't a good idea if you did not want to see gay people. That was a "mistake" indeed.
Oooo, I'll bet that was festive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.