Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 10,008 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional with extensive experience in banking and corporate finance (treasury-related). My wife currently works in the wire room for a bank in Miami, but has more experience with administrative and assistant duties.

We live in Miami (close to downtown) and this place BLOWS! Too congested, noone speaks english, rude inconsiderate drivers, etc. We are desperate to leave within the next two years- and made a visit to Helen, GA. Along the way, we fell in love with GA's mountainous, quiet and country environment- but we are not too sure about a good spot to live. My highest concern is jobs. Where can a treasury analyst and an administrative professional find work in GA? Is Atlanta our only choice? (cause that place looks just as crazy as Miami in terms of driving manners)

We don't mind commuting to a big city, but I don't want to drive 1.5 hours from commerce to Atlanta. Are there any quiet towns with affordable housing within proximity (10-30 mins) of Atlanta or another area with lots of jobs? Also, what are the salaries like? More/less/the same as Miami?

Any input is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM

75 posts, read 382,199 times
check out dallas.9th fastest growing county in the country but without big city issues and 30 minutes to downtown atlanta

Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 147,898 times
There are alot of nice mountainous areas and affordable housing, the problem probably will be finding jobs but with your expierence who knows.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
You should also check out Charlotte, NC.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM

726 posts, read 2,819,505 times
You should check out Macon

Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 AM

58 posts, read 388,618 times
US younger professionals are beginning to crop up in small towns all over the N. GA mountains. With high-speed internet service freely available, many now telecommute and work from up here, while maintaining a great lifestyle.. I can sit on my deck with my laptop, look at the beautiful mountains and talk to my clients all over the country and world without them knowing that I am in a town of 511 people! Airport in either Atlanta or Chattanooga is about 90 minutes away and anything else I need in the city. Not a bad spot to be!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,008 times
Default Remote Access

Resolute:

Wow! You are living my dream: working from my home office in a quiet small town with gorgeous scenery! What do you do, and how do I get in on it?!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 123,994 times
metro augusta the fastest growing city in ga. Without all the traffic of atlanta since everybody is eithe being push there, or are running to the city

Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 AM

58 posts, read 388,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netic View Post
Resolute:

Wow! You are living my dream: working from my home office in a quiet small town with gorgeous scenery! What do you do, and how do I get in on it?!

I work in professional services and have my own small consulting practice - specifically working with real estate projects for corporations and REITS. I also do some brokerage as well in the local areas, own several rental properties, and I am a partner on a small historic hotel redevelopment project in my small town that we are going to renovate over the next 1-2 years. I split my time between Atlanta (where I still have a home) and the N GA mountains - but find it easier to work from the mountain place now as the telecommunications infrastructure has drastically improved over the past 5 years or so (my DSL works faster and better in the mountains than it does in my midtown Atlanta office).

Of course, many days, when the provencial small town attitudes start getting under my skin, I find myself wishing I were down in Miami eating some maduros and black beans and rice or hangin out on South Beach "peoplewatching" - guess the "grass is always greener...", huh? But I can still run back to Atlanta - for now, I guess I have the best of both worlds somewhat...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,105 times
Hey that's funny! I moved from Miami more than 10 yrs. ago...I think Hurricane Andrew did it for us mostly! I now live in Suwanee, GA and it was ranked by CNN as one of the top cities in the US to live it. Check it out...I love it here now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia