Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 PM

21 posts, read 31,079 times

Advertisements

These are all excellent comments, and very helpful. We had been told that we would have an answer by yesterday regarding his company...and here we are today, still in the dark!
All of these potential issues you have raised are all things that we face here as well. Everything is a trade off, right? Just reading your opinions on the various areas gives me a starting place for further research. One man's idea of paradise may not be another's, so the variety of opinions helps me to process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
If you are still interested in metro Atlanta (and its far-flung suburbs), read more of the posts over there. You probably would do well to be in a far out suburb of Atlanta as mentioned: Coweta, Henry, Cherokee, Hall, etc (basically areas that are 35+ miles from Downtown Atlanta).

As I sometimes repeat here in other threads, I would find the job first here and then figure out what areas to look for somewhat near the job. Commuting can be very dreadful when living far out. Good luck in your search and decisions.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Ok, so now to bumpy this up! Just found out FINALLY that husband
s job WILL be relocating to Sandy Springs. So now after thinking for 2 months that it WASN'T going to happen...I am feeling a sense of panic. The time-frame is March to April, but I may stay here in Cali until the kids are done with school in May or June.
So NOW my question becomes twofold: IF he can telecommute, meaning he would only have to report to Sandy Springs 1 or 2 days per week MAX...what would be the recommended area for horse property, good schools that will welcome my multi-ethnic family?
Second: If he CANNOT telecommute, and must go in everyday, what would be your suggestion given the same community criteria???

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
Ok, so now to bumpy this up! Just found out FINALLY that husband
s job WILL be relocating to Sandy Springs. So now after thinking for 2 months that it WASN'T going to happen...I am feeling a sense of panic. The time-frame is March to April, but I may stay here in Cali until the kids are done with school in May or June.
So NOW my question becomes twofold: IF he can telecommute, meaning he would only have to report to Sandy Springs 1 or 2 days per week MAX...what would be the recommended area for horse property, good schools that will welcome my multi-ethnic family?
Second: If he CANNOT telecommute, and must go in everyday, what would be your suggestion given the same community criteria???
If your husband can mostly telecommute and only has to report to his office in Sandy Springs 1-2 days per week, you can consider areas with good schools on the Southside (in the part of the greater Atlanta region south of and below the I-20) like Fayette, Coweta, and Henry counties.

If your husband can mostly telecommute and only has to report to his office in Sandy Springs 1-2 days per week, you can also consider farther-flung areas with good schools on the Northside (in the part of the greater Atlanta region north of and above the I-20) like Oconee, Paulding, Walton and Barrow counties.

If your husband cannot telecommute and must commute to and from work at his office in Sandy Springs EVERY workday, then you likely should limit your search to areas relatively close-by on the Northside with good schools like Cherokee, Forsyth and Hall counties.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Ok, it now sounds like telecommuting may be possible down the road, but initially they would like him to go to the office most days. So, that answers the 'way out' question. Plus, as he says...this job probably won't last forever, so even though he can telecommute now, it may not be possible in several years. Ah, so much to consider.

I am also just trying to get an idea of the scope of the state...just how darn big it is. I have printed out a couple of maps so I can try and find the cities and counties you guys suggest...there are ALOT of counties in Georgia! Holy Crap. I am dying to put it in perspective. It takes most of a day to drive from the Sacramento area to Los Angeles, and although a drive from the very top of California all the way to the bottom could be done in one day, it would be a long day...and it would suck. Georgia LOOKS much smaller, but it could just be the shape throwing me off.

As I am rereading that, it sounds random...but I don't know...I guess I am just having random thoughts!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Distances in California (as in most of the west) are MUCH MUCH MUCH greater than distances in Georgia. The entire length of Georgia, from the Tennessee state line in the north to the Florida state line in the south, is about the same as from San Francisco to Los Angeles, just to give you an indication. And just like in California, that part of Georgia adjacent to Tennessee might as well be a completely different state than that part of Georgia that borders Florida. Physically, socially, economically ... it's another place entirely!

When people talk of distances between places in Metro Atlanta, they're mostly talking about travel times ... NOT hard miles. That's because, just like in California, the time it takes to get between two places is much more affected by traffic, density of development, etc. then mere geography.

As for the abundance of counties in Georgia, it might be easier for you if you just think of them as CITIES ... because in effect, that's what they are. Georgia has lots of very small counties that have all the legal government duties that cities do in most other states. What city you live in is really not as important as what COUNTY, even when it comes to things like schools, housing values, taxes, amenities, etc. because most of these services are provided at the county level anyway.

Confused enough yet?

The best advice I can give is, to come out for a visit, drive around and get a feel for the lay of the land. In the same way that California is physically hard to grasp for newcomers until you get to know how it "works" ... Georgia is the same.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM

Thank you, Newsboy. I am obsessing. We are HOPING that my husband's company will pay for him (or us!) to go out for a few days...instead of expecting him to make this decision sight unseen. We have been living in complete ignorance about this entire move for several months now. If we weren't so desperate to leave Ca., we would have said to hell with this already!
Initially we figured we would just rent, but now we are worrying about uprooting our kiddos twice, plus how difficult it will be to find a rental for our MULTITUDE of animals...plus wondering how long interest rates will stay like this.
Just thinking aloud, sorry

Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Ok, I'm back with more questions (can I get a yahoo?)
1. Husband is flying out at the end of the month: What should he try and see in a 4 day visit? (and if you don't mind, we request that there be no ice storm that week. Thanks in advance)
2. Please tell me everything you know about Henry County; good, bad and ugly. I have been drawn in that direction with what limited research I can do from afar.

Also, I have been trying to read as much on here as I can. Often someone will ask a question and be directed to the Atlanta thread. So, from an outsider...just HOW many counties really encompass the Atlanta sprawl?? So, should ALL my questions pretty much be directed to the Atlanta thread?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
Is his company still wanting him to be at the office in Sandy Springs most days? If that is so , his commute from Henry county would be beyond brutal .

Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
The counties considered the Atlanta area are Fulton , Cobb , Dekalb , Clayton , Rockdale ,Gwinnett , Douglas,Cherokee, Fayette, Coweta,Forsyth , Paulding,Henry . ( 9 of these border Fulton which is the county Atlanta is in ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia