Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
The masters probably give Augusta an advantage more so than UGA gives Athens an advantage since the master's is more much internationally-oriented.
But how many people watch golf compared to college football? Athens is in the spotlight for 5 solid months of year if not the entire year compared to Augusta which is for 1 week out of the year. I definitely say Athens. Plus Athens music scene is well known.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
But how many people watch golf compared to college football? Athens is in the spotlight for 5 solid months of year if not the entire year compared to Augusta which is for 1 week out of the year. I definitely say Athens. Plus Athens music scene is well known.
This may be true inside the borders of Georgia and perhaps even surrounding states in the region, but nationally and internationally Augusta is much more well known than Athens.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Quote:
Athens has regional spotlight for a Bulldog game. Augusta National has a global spotlight for the most prestigious golf tour in the land. I see more people in Atlanta metro wearing Augusta National apparel than UGA apparel.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK then ... let's consider the large number of government employees in Chatham County, i.e Hunter Army Airfield, Chatham County schools and government, Savannah State and Armstrong Atlantic State universities, THE GEORGIA PORTS AUTHORITY!!!!!!!!!

You just shot yourself in the foot Nort ...
Chatham County BOE= 5,000-9,999
Savannah government=1,000-4,999
Chatham County government= 1,000-4,999
Hunter Army= 1,000-4,999
Georgia Ports Authority= 500-999
Armstrong= 500-999
Savannah State= 500-999
Savannah Chamber

''Fort Gordon is the Augusta area's largest employer, with about 27,000 military, civilian and contract employees.''
Fort Gordon-Augusta ties are strong | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM

322 posts, read 586,476 times
Quote:
HUH?! That map you provided shows over 30,000 people commute to jobs in Chatham County alone from just THESE 5 counties:

Effingham: 13,142
Bryan: 7,171
Liberty: 4,113
Bulloch: 3,620
Jasper SC: 1,040
Beaufort SC: 1,608

TOTAL: 30,694

Another 1,708 workers commute INTO CHATHAM COUNTY from these Georgia counties: McIntosh, Wayne, Long, Evans and Screven

Further, only 6 percent of Chatham County residents commute OUT of the county for work, while 21 percent of Richmond County residents do. According to the Census, Chatham County's "private non-farm employment" was 117,852 in 2011; Richmond County's was 82,835 -- a WHOPPING difference of 35,000+ jobs! Chatham County has more jobs than Richmond and Columbia counties COMBINED!

Obviously, Savannah / Chatham County is a bigger employment center than Augusta / Richmond County. And why shouldn't it be? Chatham County has 75,000 more people than Richmond County!

And thanks for posting that map: With more than 3,000 workers commuting INTO Chatham County everyday from Jasper and Beaufort Counties, SC, and 1,373 workers commuting from Savannah to Beaufort County everyday, it proves the point that the South Carolina counties are quickly becoming part of the Savannah Metro. It's only a matter of time until they are officially combined into one large CSA.
Sorry....my mistake. 24,426 workers commute into Chatham county. 41,224 come into Richmond county. Even if its 30,000...its still less than Richmond county's. Can you please provide the links about the jobs.According to other sites there are 241,223 people employed in the Augusta MSA and if you want to combine Richmond and Columbia county it would be 137,899. There were only 157,200 in Savannah. Where did you get your statistics from? It would probably help if you didn't look at information from 2011.
3,000 and 1,373 from SC to Chatham! What leads you to believe that this means that SC counties are quickly become part of the Savannah MSA,more like as slow as ever,when you get 10,000+ workers coming into your city from ONE county in a different state like Augusta has...then you can start taking. Even if we left the topic of worker commutes and population(which the Augusta MSA has way more of) Augusta is still a tier above Savannah...especially in shopping.
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/employm...rgia/savannah/

Last edited by -StarBright-; 10-23-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
Sorry....my mistake. 24,426 workers commute into Chatham county. 41,224 come into Richmond county. Even if its 30,000...its still less than Richmond county's. Can you please provide the links about the jobs.According to other sites there are 216,600 jobs in Richmond county as of Augusta 2013. There were only 157,200 in Savannah. Where did you get your statistics from? It would probably help if you didn't look at information from 2011.
Augusta-Richmond County, Georgia Job Growth | Department of Numbers
Savannah, Georgia Job Growth | Department of Numbers
Dude ... SERIOUSLY?! Those are jobs for the TOTAL METRO AREA, not Chatham and Richmond counties! Did you even bother to read the disclaimer underneath?!

No one is claiming that the three-county Savannah MSA has more jobs than the much larger Augusta MSA. But Savannah-Chatham County DOES have more jobs than Augusta-Richmond County. That's a fact!

And what do you mean by "even if it is 30,000" ?! I got that information from the WASHINGTON POST DATA MAP THAT YOU PROVIDED! Seriously?! All you do is CLICK ON EACH COUNTY in the surrounding region and it pops up EXACTLY how many people in that county commutes into Chatham for work! This is research / statistics 101. Let me repost the numbers here:

Another 1,708 workers commute INTO CHATHAM COUNTY from these Georgia counties: McIntosh, Wayne, Long, Evans and Screven

TOTAL: 32,402

SOURCE: Where Americans go to work - The Washington Post

If you believe that Richmond County has more jobs than it does people, I've got some really nice mountain real estate down in Florida to sell you. I know of no county in the NATION that has more JOBS than it does PEOPLE! That would REALLY be something!

GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF LABOR:
http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_savannah.pdf
http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_augusta.pdf

CENSUS:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13051.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13245.html

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-23-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Why are we even talking about Athens.....obviously the next major metro won't be Athens. And obviously Athens has an advantage...especially with its extremely well know music scene....said NO ONE EVER!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Those Census data sheets are very interesting BTW ... good data in there. It's shocking how much wealthier and better off Chatham County is than Richmond County.

These stats are VERY revealing:

Bachelor degrees (!!!!)
Median and per HH incomes
Home values
Retail sales (!!!!!)
Retail sales per capita (!!!!)
Building permits (!!!!!)

All the wealth in the Augusta Metro is clearly in Columbia County. IMO, Savannah benefits from having a much stronger core metro county in Chatham.

CENSUS:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13051.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13245.html

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-23-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Dude ... SERIOUSLY?! Those are jobs for the TOTAL METRO AREA, not Chatham and Richmond counties! Did you even bother to read the disclaimer underneath?!

No one is claiming that the three-county Savannah MSA has more jobs than the much larger Augusta MSA. But Savannah-Chatham County DOES have more jobs than Augusta-Richmond County. That's a fact!

And what do you mean by "even if it is 30,000" ?! I got that information from the WASHINGTON POST DATA MAP THAT YOU PROVIDED! Seriously?! All you do is CLICK ON EACH COUNTY in the surrounding region and it pops up EXACTLY how many people in that county commutes into Chatham for work! This is research / statistics 101. Let me repost the numbers here:

TOTAL: 32,402

SOURCE: Where Americans go to work - The Washington Post

If you believe that Richmond County has more jobs than it does people, I've got some really nice mountain real estate down in Florida to sell you. I know of no county in the NATION that has more JOBS than it does PEOPLE! That would REALLY be something!

GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF LABOR:
http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_savannah.pdf
http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_augusta.pdf

CENSUS:
Chatham County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Richmond County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I never said that Richmond county had more jobs that Chatham and that it has more people. I said that Richmond county had more people commute in than Chatham did.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
When I look at the cities of Georgia I see enormous potential. With the proper infrasture i.e. interstates, airports, etc. I see Atlanta ruling all, Augusta as another Raleigh, Columbus as another Greensboro and Savannah as another New Orleans. I believe Augusta will rise above all not because of the Masters but because it has the best blend of highly valuable industries especially the cybernetic and biomedical industries and if you think bigger picture imagine the biotech and cybernetics industry combining in the future with the development of new technology being created in our state. Whether you live in Augusta or Columbus or Savannah or whereever you should feel proud to know our state is set up for the future well except transportation wise but that's a work in progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia