Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 24,430 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to either Goergia or Tampa, Fl. I dont know much about neither but I have been to Florida and never been to Goergia. I am a Haitian-American woman with an african-american husband with a 6 yr old daughter and racism is a big concern for me also (hope I didnt offend anyone ). People tell me that if I want to keep my man, I should stay away from Goergia due to the men to women ration though.... I also want to know the family friendly areas, good school, good jobs etc... I hear a lot of good things about the state but I am still skeptical as to my decision. Please tell me as much as you all can.

I know this question has been answered many times but I am new to blogging and dont really know my way around message boards yet.... thakns in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 AM

177 posts, read 973,461 times
krenaud,

I live in a very rural area with a LOW population -- yet, there is a Haitian family who lives just down the street from me. So, there are Haitians in Georgia.

Your post sounds as if you are concerned as to whether your relationship with your husband would weather a major move. Such a move, particularly if it involves a new job/s, or even trying to find a job can put a LOT of stress on the best of relationships. So, unless you feel confident that your relationship could withstand a LOT of stress, then perhaps you should not think about moving until you feel more comfortable with the idea.

Do you think it would make you feel more comfortable if you could talk with some Haitians or Haitian-Americans who live in Georgia?

If so, perhaps there are some Haitians or Haitian Americans even on this list who you could make contact with, if you pose a specific question or maybe you could do some searches for Haitian or Haitan-American groups online and see if any members live in Georgia. It might make you feel more comfortable if you have some "connections"...maybe you could correspond with some of these folks?

I think if you have a clear reason in your mind for WHY you're thinking of moving and more inportantly WHAT you hope your life will be like, then it will help you make the decision, even if you don't decide right away.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,416 times
girl slap a gps on his car and call it a day. Yes the ratio is a challenge.
my suggestion is to find a job/s first... the traffic is no joke. Try to stick with Cobb. School are great in other area.... but traffic will be your trade off.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,888 times
Default Haitians, we are every where

I am a Haitian American in Georgia. I am a transplant from NJ. I've only been in GA for a few months but I've found that a lot of Haitians I've met are from NY, NJ and FL. They mostly live in Lawrenceville and McDonough; I’ve met them through friends of friends or they know my parents so it was a good networking starting point. I live in Cumming which is known not to be the most racially diverse area in GA but, there is a Haitian family in my subdivision; they are from FL they were surprised when I told them I was Haitian American. Like I said Haitians are every where.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM

28 posts, read 152,033 times
Does anyone know of any haitian churches in the atlanta area. I would really like my mother to move with me to the Atlanta area (Gwinett County) but she is not really interested. My mother is really into church and perhaps if I could tell that I know for sure about Haitian Churches in Atlanta maybe I can convince her a little more.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,170 times
Thumbs up Haitians in Atlanta

I am a Haitian-American male who moved to Atlanta in 1998 with my wife who is also Haitian-American. We both grew up in S. Florida and moved to Atlanta shortly after we were married. Let me tell you she has been able to keep me . We both love it here. Our families still live in S. Florida so we visit at times so our parents can see their 3 grandchildren. I would say find a job or at least inquire about jobs prior to moving. I am a real estate agent and have lived here long enough to know the Atlanta area pretty well.

I would suggest moving to the Lawrenceville area (Gwinnett county). There is a thriving middle to upper middle class Haitians in the area. Cobb county is good and so is some other areas, but Gwinnett is great as most people that live there say. Lawrenceville is becoming the area of choice for those relocating from the northeast and Florida. It offers a suburban feel, great schools, and great Haitian churches. By the way, the largest Haitian church in the Metro area is located there (Good Samaritan Haitian Alliance Church www.goodsamaritanchurchatlanta.org ) They are working on acquiring a facility to hold a thousand seat sanctuary and all of the other things that go along with it.

Hopes this helps for those of you considering Atlanta. It's been 10+ years for us and we love it.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 8,084 times
Default Moving to Atlanta

Please do your research before moving to Atlanta. The city is beautiful, but is spread out. So you have to take a lot of initiative in getting to meet people, networking, etc...If you are interested in haitian parties or activities, there's not much...I lived there for 5 years, then another year...So go visit, get a feel for the place before you move...ps...the salary is way below NY salary...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 42,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenaud View Post
I'm looking to move to either Goergia or Tampa, Fl. I dont know much about neither but I have been to Florida and never been to Goergia. I am a Haitian-American woman with an african-american husband with a 6 yr old daughter and racism is a big concern for me also (hope I didnt offend anyone ). People tell me that if I want to keep my man, I should stay away from Goergia due to the men to women ration though.... I also want to know the family friendly areas, good school, good jobs etc... I hear a lot of good things about the state but I am still skeptical as to my decision. Please tell me as much as you all can.

I know this question has been answered many times but I am new to blogging and dont really know my way around message boards yet.... thakns in advance.
Do not listen to what people saying about your man and you. Only you know your man, his character etc. take care of your man, and he will never leave you for other women, no matter of ratio. As a man, my woman takes care of me, I love her, and I will never leave her for someone that I do not know.
Jean

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 42,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubras View Post
I am a Haitian-American male who moved to Atlanta in 1998 with my wife who is also Haitian-American. We both grew up in S. Florida and moved to Atlanta shortly after we were married. Let me tell you she has been able to keep me . We both love it here. Our families still live in S. Florida so we visit at times so our parents can see their 3 grandchildren. I would say find a job or at least inquire about jobs prior to moving. I am a real estate agent and have lived here long enough to know the Atlanta area pretty well.

I would suggest moving to the Lawrenceville area (Gwinnett county). There is a thriving middle to upper middle class Haitians in the area. Cobb county is good and so is some other areas, but Gwinnett is great as most people that live there say. Lawrenceville is becoming the area of choice for those relocating from the northeast and Florida. It offers a suburban feel, great schools, and great Haitian churches. By the way, the largest Haitian church in the Metro area is located there (Good Samaritan Haitian Alliance Church www.goodsamaritanchurchatlanta.org ) They are working on acquiring a facility to hold a thousand seat sanctuary and all of the other things that go along with it.

Hopes this helps for those of you considering Atlanta. It's been 10+ years for us and we love it.
Thanks for the guidance, I will be living near by, at Fort Gordon.
I cannot wait to get there. Alaska is too far for me, lol. See you

Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 42,085 times
Smile Haitian Church in GA

There is a good church in Lilburn GA, not to far from Stone Mountain Park this church is called Haitian Baptist Church of the Redeemer directed by Pastor Tider Exume. the address of the church is 4805 Stone Mountain Hwy Lilburn GA 30047 it is located within Lucerne Baptist Church it has about 40 people who come from a week to week basis and it continues to grow it also just opened up about 4 years ago and the spirit of God is moving there. hope to see you there if you have any questions you can call the church at 770-972-7730
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia