Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

Don’t be foolish. It’s clearly 100% about race. If they were white and spoke English and were totally indistinguishable from anyone else (like Canadians are when in America), they wouldn’t be called “illegals”, and scum like Kemp wouldn’t be running on a campaign of rounding people up in his pickup truck like they were animals. They wouldn’t be “criminals”.

And even if hypothetically it was just about a “secure border” and not about xenophobia, I still think it’s ridiculous, illogical, immoral. Nationalities and borders are entirely conceptual. I’m a citizen of America, but I’m a citizen of humanity first. We can have border security and defense, without losing our humanity.

I only have a small ounce of decency and basic compassion, and even that much is enough to keep me from ever being a Republican. Just the total gross lack of perspective you must have, if your big concerns in the world are ‘sanctuary cities’.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 11:00 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
I think Abrams can win. The metro Atlanta suburbs are becoming more turned off about voting for uneducated rednecks that turn the state backwards and embarrass us internationally. We saw how Cobb and Gwinnet trended towards Democrats. If Abrams can run up the score in metro Atlanta and win some majority black counties through the middle of the state, she can win overall.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:44 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Everything in both of those posts is wrong. No one is dehumanizing anyone and that woman was 100% in the wrong. Illegal immigration IS NOT about race! I guarantee you, 90%+ of the people calling for a strong border and enforcement of our immigration laws would feel the same way about white Canadians coming across our northern border for the same reasons. I'm sorry that that just isn't the case, but I don't have the magic ability to change that. Yes, there are crazies out there like that woman, but the vast majority of us just want a secure border, and for people to respect our laws. I could find just as many crazies from the left with people talking about killing whites, or marginalizing whites, or killing police (and sadly, some have actually acted on that last one). We are told when going elsewhere around the world to respect the local laws/customs/etc. why is that a one-way street?
Here the problem both the left and right agree with with border security and illegal immigration is bad. So what's the conflict?

The right exaggerate the crime rate of illegals, No matter how bad you try the crime rate from already citizens is higher. So if your issue is the crime rate there no point of focusing that topic on even illegal immigrants. Since the description doesn't match the majority of that group. Prejudice people tend to judge whole groups base on the negative of the few. It's emotional and irrational wanting blame or attach something negative to a larger group of people and not wanting to separate it...That is racism... it's illogical. The reality is crime by illegal immigrant are low, and reality is for most of last decade the net immigration from Mexico is actually low. So the left and right both agree on border security but right doesn't have logical answer to how to handle the issue, and tend make up and exaggerate issue to fear monger. For Example the bolder wall...... why?... most illegal come by plane and over stay. Part of The US bolder with Mexico is rivers, mountains and etc. How the heck do we suppose to build a Mexican Wall? none of it make sense.......... it just symbolism to right, the emotional symbol a wall is what matters to the right.

And what heck does bolder wall has to do with Georgia? This what I talking people like Kemp is trying fear monger. So None existing issue to people feel like there major issue that some how affect them. Illegal immigration doesn't even affect the average Georgia trying to get a job or anything that how this has gone on . Most of the up arms red areas are least areas you would even likely find illegals, The republican party has move further to the right of Ronald Reagan.

Another thing the right wing doesn't just have issue with illegal immigration the right have a issue with legal immigration altogether. The common argument you hear by right is..... oh illegal immigration is bad people should come here legal... ok this argument is fine that make sense but then once you started talking 'legal" immigration. the right as in Trump supporters start taking about quotas of immigration. Making hard or impossible from minority immigrant to enter. other wise I just against illegal immigrant becomes a lie. The right doesn't make minority to enter immigrate legally either.

Adams have to counter this ignorance by talking about issue that actually matter like traffic, infrastructure the economy and etc.

Last edited by chiatldal; 07-22-2018 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I'm not trying to be funny, but outside of most parts of I-285 and a couple of areas like Clayton, southwestern Fulton counties, this state is still a Deep Southern, socially conservative state. Abrams has a huge uphill battle for fight in this state to win the general election. At the moment, I see more movement of hostility of the socially progressive environment surrounding Atlanta now more than ever with Trump in office outside area of this state. Kemp's springboard to possibly being the GOP nominee is systemic of these issues.

In 2016 Hilary won Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry which reflects there growing diversity..........so how on earth did Hilary do worst then Obama?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_2016.svg.png

2012 it's because Obama did better with working class white, and energize more minorities in south Georgia. A few county turned dark blue to light blue......blue to red,....... red to dark red.

What Adams have to do is repeat what Hilary did in metro Atlanta.......... while recapturing at least what Obama did in South Georgia.

If a Democrat became a senator in AL in Trump era, then a Democrat can become governor of Georgia. She have to make the right moves.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:13 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
i think if kemp wins tomorrow night this race is gonna be about race. and i think it's going to get nasty and kemp is going to say some pretty awful things.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It will be interesting if Casey Cagle loses on Tuesday and throws his support behind Stacey Abrams. Deal has nothing to lose as well.
No way. Cagle will either support Kemp (most likely) or shut up. No way he says a single positive thing about Abrams.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
In 2016 Hilary won Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry which reflects there growing diversity..........so how on earth did Hilary do worst then Obama?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_2016.svg.png

2012 it's because Obama did better with working class white, and energize more minorities in south Georgia. A few county turned dark blue to light blue......blue to red,....... red to dark red.

What Adams have to do is repeat what Hilary did in metro Atlanta.......... while recapturing at least what Obama did in South Georgia.

If a Democrat became a senator in AL in Trump era, then a Democrat can become governor of Georgia. She have to make the right moves.
This. Obama turned out black voters in record numbers. Many south and central GA counties are high percentage black. Just because Abrams is also black doesn't mean she will see the same turnout...she will have to work hard to reach turnout numbers seen during Obama's election.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It's just random chance that Brian Kemp was born in Athens GA, and not in El Salvador, or the gang-raved parts of rural Mexico.

It's easy to say "build the wall" and "round them up" and etc, when you have fortunate circumstances. It's easy to dehumanize human beings when they don't speak your language or have your skin color or names like you, or are best friends with your kids and play on the same little league team.

It's just gross. All Brian Kemp wants to do is become governor by preying on the xenophobic fears of the Fox News viewership. He's gonna be tough on the "criminal illegals". And be another right wing social conservative who will keep Georgia in the same lower rung of this country that it's been stuck in, desperately needing to break out of.

And you can forget transit and infrastructure. You can forget anything except more of the same old Georgia.

With Stacey Abrams we have a fighting chance to actually change something, to actually change this state, for the better. To be less of an embarrassment.

Provide health care to 500,000 more Georgians by expanding Medicaid. It's the right thing to do. Only the Democratic candidate is prepared to do it, is prepared to be a real leader for this state.
This is Trump's 'Merica now. They want Merica to be for Mericans only.

But where do you Kemp and Cagle stand as far as improving the transportation in metro Atlanta? Would Cagle be more likely to help?

Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think if kemp wins tomorrow night this race is gonna be about race. and i think it's going to get nasty and kemp is going to say some pretty awful things.
His campaign is already about race, whether the supporters admit it or not. It’s a dog whistle campaign for the Latino-hating, Trump-loving, over-50 conservative white electorate, who bemoan America’s loss of racial/cultural purity, etc.

So yes, Kemp knows his bigot base. He’ll dog whistle to them about the blacks, too. It’ll be about what he’ll do to people who don’t stand for the pledge, etc. And he’ll probably attack Atlanta, with various rhetoric. Etc.

He knows he’s not going to get the black vote, so he’s not even going to try. He’ll focus on the anti-black vote.

And older white people vote more than everyone else does. His conservative base actually gets out and votes, so, Kemp will very likely win. And Georgia will lose. Trump-endorsed leadership at the helm, keeping us with our image of being a backwards southern state, no different from the other states in our region. Lowest health and happiness and quality of life, highest income inequality, etc etc.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but likely I’m not. Sadly.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hopefully I’m wrong, but likely I’m not. Sadly.
You're not wrong.
But like Forhall, I'm not so resigned to a Kemp win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia