Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Boston or Naples...to rural North Georgia...

It's easy to say that no matter where you are from you are a "nice" person who most certainly would respect the locals. However, for many people from Boston or the North East urban areas, or even Florida transplants in general, this is much easier said than done.

Assume that you move to a small town like Morganton Georgia and buy a small house on 7 acres of land with some kids around 10 years old.

How would you answer these questions:

1. Do you have any problem with the neighbors letting their hunting dogs roam wild?

2. Are you a member of the NRA? Do you have guns? Do you like to Hunt?

3. Do you have any problem with your neighbor who lives on 80 acres shooting guns on his property?

4. Are you Catholic? Jewish? Non-religious or atheist? Or some other non-Protestant religion? How are you going to react when someone asks you what church you go to or invites you to their church?

5. How are you going to react when your 10 year old child comes home crying because some of the other kids at school make fun of the way she dresses, talks, acts, etc?

Rural N. Georgia has been a fairly homogenous area for over 150 years, until recently. Most of the natives there are White, Scots-Irish decent, Protestant, religious - compared to many other areas in the country, have a distinctly different dialect and way of saying things from even other Southerners, let alone Northerners.

Moving to Rural North Georgia isn't like moving to Naples Florida from Boston. Just imagine the culture shock of someone born and raised in Murphy North Carolina (just across the border from N. Georgia) moving to say ethnic Brooklyn New York, or liberal Boston Mass, and their 10 year old daughter attending public school or even a Catholic school. Think on that, and then you might start to understand why the local people get upset by an influx of people from places like Boston or Naples.

I really don't mean any dissrespect with what I've written. I just wanted to give a small sampling of some of the genuine fundemental differences between people from different areas of the country that can cause feelings of isolation, resentment, missunderstandings, ridicule, and offense that can sometimes cause strife between a local and a "half-back" - even when both have the best of intentions.
Mr. Prichard,

To answer your questions after I looked them over and considered your thoughts and concerns. My answers are as honest and sincere as they can be and I hope it projects the interity and respect that I have for both people and the beautiful land that we all live upon...USA.

I am answering your questions in order just to make it easier...
I.
I do not want a dog roaming in my yard or neihborhood and the reason is, I do not know if that dog has been vaccinated, well cared for, is friendly and will not bite or harm myself or worse yet my child. I do not have an issue with what kind of dog it is...I love dogs(I have three)and my only concern would be the safety of both the animal as well as the family.
2.No I do not belong to the NRA, I did when I was younger growing up in upstate NY and I also belonged to a gun club. I dont own a gun and nor do I feel the need or desire too, I hope that where I live (wherever that may be) is both safe and with little crime and I also have young children and you hear stories(maybe not alot but one is to many and far to chancy for me)and dont want it to get into thier hands..I know there are gun locks but so are there child proof caps on medicine etc and kids being kids can manage to find there way into things that they were never meant to find in the first place. I do not hunt, nor do I have any grievances or opinions one way or the other if others do...To each his own..Be safe...and enjoy your sport.
3. I wouldnt mind as long as he is shooting far enough away from my home and neihbors as not to cause harm to a child playing on a swing or riding thier bike or playing with the dog in the back yard(fenced).
4. I am protestant and I would be thrilled if someone asked me where I went to church and better yet invited me to thiers if I did or did not have my own. I also would (if I did have one) welcome them with open arms to mine.
5. Kids are kids and although sometimes they can be mean spirited kids make fun of kids and thier family, friends, accent etc just because they can and do. I have a thick MA accent and so does my son and my daughter has one from NH...There is not a week that goes by that someone doesnt make fun of the way we talk, I can remember my first day in school in upstate NY as a Jr in high school and my history teacher called me an alien and made me read in front of the class...I didnt get upset I just laughed and read and then reminded him that MA was part of the origional and that NY was after MA. It broke the ice and made a awkward situation fine. My kids are accepting of others no matter how they talk, what skin they are, where they are from and yes it hurts when others make fun for whatever reason but it is also what happens in life sometimes and we just have to learn to forgive and also be more tolerant..We are all GODS children...I also taught my children to be proud of who they are, where they came from and even thier funny accent. It is good to be different. God made us that way..We are all special....TO HIM.

I have nothing but respect for all people and thier cultures lifestyles,accents( I love em all especially southern and european) and all I want to do is move to a nice town/city in GA and become a productive, caring and well informed member of the community and live and long and happy life there with my family....Thank you for your post and for your care and concern. It is a wonderful thing to feel so passionate about something so important to you. I feel the same way about my roots,upbringing and culture. Differences are what make us all unique and I hope wherever I move to GA I can add to the culture, community and feel welcome and respected as I will treat others the same way. God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
Like I said, I mean no offense by my questions - but I have known people who have moved to North Georgia and those are some of the problems they've encountered. Some seem trivial, like getting used to dogs that roam free, but there isn't any leash law and that's just the way it is.

The transition would be hardest for children around 10 years old - I'm sure you know that. Adults are pretty immune from the cruelty that kids can iflict on each other. The only good thing is that if you and your kids really commit to becoming part of the community, and try to blend rather than stand out, and if they are good kids, over time they will have friends and be accepted. The fact that you are Protestant and apparently enjoy Church activities will be very helpful. Local sporting events, like high school football is also very important. Even if you don't have kids playing football or even attanding the local high school, you might want to go out to the games and support the team. Even if you are a huge Celtics fan or Yankees fan, or fan of some other team that is not from Georgia, I wouldn't go around advertising that. When in Georgia, you're a Bulldog fan and a fan of whatever the local high school team is. Forget about politics - at least for the next 10 years. That's a sure fire way to stir up a hornets nest. In local politics, there's a lot more going on than you can begin to understand. That's pretty much the way it is everywhere, but the difference is you're not annonymous - you will be defined by the very first things you do and say.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM

8 posts, read 25,122 times
Smile moving to georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
mr prichard,

as a native floridian that made the move , i have to disagree with you on some things ( i have been here 10 mos now)

1. i have never been asked if i'm religous or do i attend church not even the locals.
2. i have not heard any gunshots yet and there are hillbillys behind us, we have met them and talk to them.

3. no dogs roaming around, but i do have a hen with chicks that come in the am and pm to peck around my bird feeders. they never come up to the house , just the back yard.

4. i do not make 8.00 an hour but 13.00 an hour.

5. i am 13 miles from the n.ga 400 outlet mall , we have a longhorns super walmart , home depot ect .
6. i have not had one georgian in any way be rude to me before or after they find out i'm a floridian
7. my comute is 37 miles one way and it takes me 30 min .

no increase on taxes or utilities but i have seen an increase in groceries and of course gas, but thats it. my location is ga 400 to hwy 136 up into the foothills to hwy 9 5 miles towards dahlonega. i am right between dawsonville and dahlonega 13 miles to whichever town i want to go too.

Im so glad to hear that other floridians are calling georgia home. With all these comments its scary to relocate. We are planning to move to georgia havent decided where, but we are also looking to slow down the pace and be able to afford things since here in florida its ridiculous how things have gone up. I beleive rude people are everywhere it has nothing to do with where you come from. We look forward to making new friends and calling georgia our home. I was born and raised in Miami and you must understand that now we have had people from other places move here looking for a better life after awhile only so many people fit so others move on elsewhere. But that happens in every state. If people are good it doesnt matter were there from and it makes life easier for everyone if people would just get along.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 AM

North Georgia is not all the same. One town can be quite different from another. I can only speak from the experiences of those Floridians that I know who made the move. Clayton Georgia, Dillard Georgia, Warwoman, Tiger, Rabun Gap - these places are pretty well established with a good number of families that are rooted for for many generations. There is still have a lot of local control over politics, schools, etc.

In the city, you won't find dogs roaming around, but in the neighborhoods where most houses sit on about 7 - 20 acres, set back on a gravel road, you will find dogs roaming around most of the time. I know because I like to go running back there. Never been attacked, but have had pleanty of dogs come up to me and bark pretty loud. (There's this one house up on a steep hill that I run by, I bark once or twice at the dogs just to watch them try to chase me as they tumble down the hill in the leaves!) Had a pack of about 10 dogs run through my land. It's just par for the course.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 14,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Thanks for the post. Wonderful outlook..I hope to be the same way if and when I move there..I am seriously considering it. I am concerned though because I am a born northerner and I dont want people to judge me b4 they even know me(or my family.) any impressions? WH...lol I used to work at one here in FL...Love thier coffee... I live in SWFL right now...Its beautiful but that is starting to disappear with the massive growth and the slow quiet is neither slow or quiet anymore...Sad....not to mention the expense. It is near impossible for every day ppl to be able to buy into the american dream here...more like a nightmare with taxes, insurances sky high...I know it is happending in more places then here but it just seems to be really outrageous here in a relatively short period of time. Take Care
Don't let go of your dream! I gave up a a 20 year position with Florida Power & Light to move to Ellijay. We have never looked back. Our house sits in the middle of 2 acres of trees 10 miles out of town (East Ellijay). I have never slept better in my life. We feel we have been on a perment vacation.
I work in canton, driving 45 min down 575 (The two lane) as they refer to it here. The deer and wild turkeys are residents and share the beauty with us. We choose Ellijay because of its beauty lush hard woods and its close location to greater Atlanta for work. My son was 10 years old and was accepted by the locals in the school system. We are now empty nesters and are considering selling to find something smaller futher out. I know what you are saying about FLA. We sold in 1996 (Port St. lucie) We lived there 10 years and were lucky to break even. If I waited I could have made much more, but looking back we are glad we made the move. We have built two houses since being here in Ellijay. Life is an adventure thats how we look at it. So if your gut is telling you its time to get out, go with it. You won't be sorry. Ellijay is great and has been a wonderful adventure.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

In the city, you won't find dogs roaming around, but in the neighborhoods where most houses sit on about 7 - 20 acres, set back on a gravel road, you will find dogs roaming around most of the time. I know because I like to go running back there. Never been attacked, but have had pleanty of dogs come up to me and bark pretty loud. (There's this one house up on a steep hill that I run by, I bark once or twice at the dogs just to watch them try to chase me as they tumble down the hill in the leaves!) Had a pack of about 10 dogs run through my land. It's just par for the course.
Funny that you bring the dog issue up. .. it sounds silly but it IS an issue for me. . . Partly because I too am a runner, and I run with my dog. And as a rabid (excuse the pun) dog lover it upsets me to see dogs running loose. And when they chase me when I run I am not so concerned with getting bit but with the dog getting hit by a car while chasing me! And then feeling guilty! I have camped many times at Blackrock Mt. and run up and down that road and there must be 20 dogs that line the road . . . And it is not like the county is going to do something about it. It is just a cultural issue in these neck of the woods!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-haf-back View Post
Don't let go of your dream! I gave up a a 20 year position with Florida Power & Light to move to Ellijay. We have never looked back. Our house sits in the middle of 2 acres of trees 10 miles out of town (East Ellijay). I have never slept better in my life. We feel we have been on a perment vacation.
I work in canton, driving 45 min down 575 (The two lane) as they refer to it here. The deer and wild turkeys are residents and share the beauty with us. We choose Ellijay because of its beauty lush hard woods and its close location to greater Atlanta for work. My son was 10 years old and was accepted by the locals in the school system. We are now empty nesters and are considering selling to find something smaller futher out. I know what you are saying about FLA. We sold in 1996 (Port St. lucie) We lived there 10 years and were lucky to break even. If I waited I could have made much more, but looking back we are glad we made the move. We have built two houses since being here in Ellijay. Life is an adventure thats how we look at it. So if your gut is telling you its time to get out, go with it. You won't be sorry. Ellijay is great and has been a wonderful adventure.
Do you mind my asking where you would go to get farther out?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 AM

Spunky1, I find that its the "little things" that people don't realize makes parts of Rural Georgia much different than where they come from. These are things you only become aware of when you live there for some time. The longer you liver there, the more you notice.

I used to visit many parts of western NC and North Georgia as a kid and in my 20's, and had a completely different perspective of these areas than I do now. Not really better or worse, just a different understanding. And, I'm sure if I lived there full time for 20 years, I'd have an even different understanding.

Having been born and raised in Central Florida, and a 3rd generation Central/North Floridian, it's sort of like watching people move to Orlando, thinking that Orlando is Disney. As a native, I sort of chuckle at this preception, but understand because that's all they probably saw as kids or while on vacation. Tourists never really get to know or understand the local people until them move there, live there, work there and socialize regularly with the local people. I remember being quite angry myself back in the '70's and early '80's when Central Florida experienced a big wave of imigration by non-Floridians. So, I can understand how the people of N. Georgia must feel about Florida migration.

Anyway, I digress. I'm still trying to figure the best way to deal with the dogs when I go running. I certainly don't expect the neighbors to pen up their dogs - everyone out there lives on at least 5 acres on up to 40 acres. I've taken to carrying a little pocket knife with me "just in case". I suppose I could use a pepper spray - probably not a bad idea. I don't really want to hurt anyone's dogs and so far, if I simply stop running the dogs don't come chasing after me. But, I have seen what I think to be some wild dogs that run in a pack - they don't hang out on the gravel roads - its the neighborhood dogs that think they're doing their job by guarding their masters' home.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 PM

I am really not afraid of being attacked although I have had my heels nipped a time or too. I am usually more afraid of them getting hit by a car or getting in a tussle with my dog! But I agree, transplants are not going to be looked kindly on if they try and stir the pot and tell them to keep their dogs in their yards.

It is just one of the things you have to consider. My cousin moved to a very rural area of western N.C and she thought she was going to have peace and solitude. She was very surprised when the neighborhood children rode three wheelers and loud motor bikes around the streets at all hours! This was not what they expected when they moved there!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM

33 posts, read 98,919 times
Re-located to florida from New York to give my daughter a better life.........she has now finished high school and we both are not happy with florida.......do not forget the good ol boys are still alive and well...........and they have children that dislike the northern people for what reason I do not know............I hate my job and my employer is a complete assssssssssssss I am thinking about marietta I hope the people are more freindly and I will be able to find employment..............at least some people that will at least speak to you and make you feel like you are apart of the human race...I would like to know about churches I hope there are some great churches in the nearby area........thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia