Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM

58 posts, read 388,555 times

Advertisements

It looks like Fannin County, GA finally got with the times and passed an ordinance allowing beer and wine sales in restaurants. This had been seen as a big hindrance to economic development over the past few years in this area. With all of the evolving tourism, it is expected that this will promote further investment in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resolute View Post
It looks like Fannin County, GA finally got with the times and passed an ordinance allowing beer and wine sales in restaurants. This had been seen as a big hindrance to economic development over the past few years in this area. With all of the evolving tourism, it is expected that this will promote further investment in the area.
Glad to hear I will be able to enjoy a cold one when I am up in Blue Ridge again. I agree, I think the prohibition laws don't work, they just drive business outside the county. It's very hard to attract casula dining restaurants and more upscale hotels if they cannot serve alcoholic beverages.. because that is a big profit center. Now maybe some of the other north georgia dry counties will follow suit. When I lived in Virginia Beach I remember having to but booze at state run liquor stores.. it felt like being in the Soviet Union.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Its a joke and a slap in the face to the voters of Fannin County. The three men that passed the vote got their butts kicked in the election and passed it out of spite. It wont help the average citizen at all. Its all these Floridians and yuppies from Atlanta who wined and moaned so they cowared down to them. Stay in Atlanta or Florida and leave us alone.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
I'm afraid it's too late. You are on the "radar" now.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
It wont help the average citizen at all.
Why not give people who go to restaurants the choice of having a beer? Why is that such a big disaster for you? The "average citizen" will benefit by not having someone else's morality forced down their throat.

Quote:
Its all these Floridians and yuppies from Atlanta who wined and moaned so they cowared down to them.
Yuppies? I think the last yuppie died off around 1990. Why not use "city slickers" instead?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 PM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why not give people who go to restaurants the choice of having a beer? Why is that such a big disaster for you? The "average citizen" will benefit by not having someone else's morality forced down their throat.

Yuppies? I think the last yuppie died off around 1990. Why not use "city slickers" instead?

Good point about the yuppie comment I just aged myself. Morals have nothing to do about it but uncontrolled growth and preservation are keys. People come up here and they do stick out like sore thumbs and want every thing the cities have. Why not just stay there and not crowd our town. Their pushy and loud and just cant give other people space.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Its a joke and a slap in the face to the voters of Fannin County. The three men that passed the vote got their butts kicked in the election and passed it out of spite. It wont help the average citizen at all. Its all these Floridians and yuppies from Atlanta who wined and moaned so they cowared down to them. Stay in Atlanta or Florida and leave us alone.
Haha! What are you so worried about? Your reaction is pretty funny.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Good point about the yuppie comment I just aged myself. Morals have nothing to do about it but uncontrolled growth and preservation are keys. People come up here and they do stick out like sore thumbs and want every thing the cities have. Why not just stay there and not crowd our town. Their pushy and loud and just cant give other people space.
Welcome to the new world - this is nothing that plenty of other towns out west and other places have not had to deal with. They probably should just put in some strong growth and zoning restrictions to prevent undesirable growth. City slickers (or Yuppies or whatever you want to call them) aren't any worse than anyone else. They probably think the same thing about all the "country" people. Looks like you all are going to have to get along now - especially since Blue Ridge is advertising more and more down in Atlanta for tourism. So I guess someone up there wants us all to come visit - even if you don't.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I still don't understand what allowing beer and wine in restaurants has to do with people moving in from out of the area. Don't country people like beer and wine? The ones I knew sure did. You've said what you don't like about strangers, but not why you don't like beer and wine.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I don't consider myself a yuppy.. but I do enjoy a cold beer now and then. Yeah a PBR really says "yuppy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia