Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,633 times

Advertisements

For all you moms moving to Georgia, I have lived here for 20 years. I have raised three kids in Lilburn, and love Gwinnett County. I now have one grandchild living in the Roswell area. The Atlanta metro area has been very good to us, and you do have to know where the good schools are, the crime rates, the neighborhoods. If you want some totally no-strings attached advice, I'll be glad to give it, but I am a realtor and have to let you know that. But I would be glad to disseminate information about our wonderful metro area to anyone who wants it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 35,214 times
We are currently living in Pennington which is near Princeton.

It seems a many number of NJ residents have moved to ga. Very interesting.

We have been reading alot on this site and found it to be very helpful. Thanks for the great replies.

We are primarily looking in Cherokee with a slight possibility toward Alpharetta.

I had read on this site that bobcats and bears may be present in the ga mountain area. How frequent is this? We are only used to deer and bunnies around here.

We had considered Lilburn and the whole of Gwinnet co as well but read traffic was bad. We do not want to live where traffic is real bad. Any info on the traffic would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,633 times
Default Yes, Bears

Pretty funny you mention bears. A gal on my tennis team was headed up to see some family a couple of weeks ago, and a bear suddenly came out in the road, she hit and killed it, and fortunately she was able to control her vehicle. But it's so rare. Traffic can be a nightmare around here. My best advice is to live as close to your employment needs as possible. That can get difficult if two people work in different areas. Since I work in Lilburn/Stone Mountain and north, I never get into traffic. I am headed the right way in the morning, then the right way in the p.m.! Alpharetta is huge, growing, and traffic is bad, too. To get out of traffic, you have to get out of the most suburban areas. But work location is still an issue.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times
Wink Depends on where you work - exactly!

One or two miles, minutes, blocks - can make a huge difference with Traffic, neighbors, housing prices/value...

Housing is booming- still. Everything is exploding and new communities are being built - right where there was NOTHING - yes - nothing...

If you want to work in the Alpharetta/Roswell/Suwanee area you can live in the Alpharetta/Cumming area. Just at the top/west side of Alpharett is the least expensive, easy access - but about to boom area....

There are several - developed - townships that are moving in right now - at the edge of Cherokee, Forsyth, and Fulton Counties...Midway, Vickery Creek, and Shiloh are great...
Check out the Forsyth County websites.. They have Excellence awards...

Most of ALpharetta is in Fulton County, however the top west is actually in Forsyth - long historic reasons..anyhow this means Alpharetta scene, with Forsyth taxes - which are cheaper!

McFarland Rd area will boom soon- is already...

South Cumming -is great also super condos, townhouses - priced at a steal - but they're going up...so you better start looking.
And, NO stuck-up people here....I love that area.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times
Smile Forsyth

Have lived in central Forsyth county for 10 years now. Before this we lived in Gwinnett and in Dekalb and Fulton counties.
Hands down Forsyth is best.
Great schools, low taxes, friendly people. Good churches. Low crime rate. Good doctors and hospital.
Really you can't beat it here.
Yes we have traffic. Currently the construction is ongoing but I think when it is complete it will be much better. Best advice is to stay away from GA20 and 141 for the time being.
And yes there are bobcats, deer, coyotes, and foxes too. But you will find these animals in any county around here. We have encroached on their territory but are usually not a problem. If you move near woods, I do suggest you keep a close eye on small animals.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:13 AM

20 posts, read 85,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele View Post
Hi
My family and I have lived in Alpharetta for 8 years and we love it. The schools are great, parents are involved with their children and there are lots of activities. I've lived in 8different states, mostly large cities and I've felt the cold shoulder many times, I believe you have some of these people everywhere but it's a problem when they're the majority. We have lived in 3 different neighborhoods in Alpharetta and in all of them neighbors stopped by and welcomed us, gave us baked goods and offered to help if we needed anything. There are many great public and private schools in the metro Atlanta area. The negative thing is the traffic. If possible, attempt to live close to where you work. But we also make sacrifices, for 3 years my husband commuted an average of 3 hours a day because we chose to live where we wanted our children to attend school and a safe community that has lots to offer. In the end, all of our decisions have positives and negatives, we weight everything, and we rate everything and do what's best for our family. I wish you all the best. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with. I have friends throughout the Atlanta area and can offer answers to many of your questions.
Since you have lived here for 8 years, can you tell me how you compare alpharetta to buford and cumming? Tell me more about the humidity...how many months of the year is it bothersome?

Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
tdc

2 posts, read 8,628 times
Default moving to Norcross?

my son lived there a short time- beware the latino gangs

Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
Yes, I used to live in Norcross. The crime is pretty bad there. The west side of Norcross (near the forum) along PeachTree Parkway is very upscale though. It is sad to see Norcross go downhill since it has so much potential (close to MARTA).

Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,737 times
Wink Question for Laura Gibson or anyone in Gwinnett Co!!

My husband has been offered a job in Grayson. We have four children ages 10 to 1 so elementary and preschools are very important to us. We currently live in a small town in central Iowa where the pop. is 12,000. We would love to find a community smaller than this but with great schools and housing. Any ideas?? We have heard good things about Dacula. We would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 69,786 times
For what it is worth, I have a close friend with a 1st grader and she is looking at Grayson schools. Grayson is a smaller town just south of Lawrenceville and is very nice, but still has good shopping ect. The schools here seem to be very highly rated by moms of elementary school age children. As for the "moms" in the area being nice or friendly, I dont know. But my friend is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia