Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

How does anyone feel about letting their kids sleep over almost every weekend when their papa is an alcoholic that drinks every and gets in the jacuzzi with your oldest daughter with a beer next to him. What if the grandmother says bad words and she is not loving caring Grandmom but yet she still takes the kids away and your spouse it’s ok with that. Is that ok? Sleep overs should be a treat not every weekend, your kids are your kids not the grandparents kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
As a grandkid, both sets of my grand parents would have me come for a week at a time several times through out the year. My aunts and uncles would also want a night or two with me spending the night.

I can honestly say that I am so grateful for my parents allowing me to stay with them because I have the best memories and I felt so special and loved. I am so lucky because I have a village of people who raised me and loved me.

I can't thank my parents enough for that, even though I'm sure when I came home I was never a brat but a perfect angel!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
I only wish we had parents who took the kids for sleepovers. A romantic evening with no kids and no babysitter to worry about would have made those years so much easier. Not to mention the luxury of getting to sleep in. If your parents want thier grandkids for a sleepover, remember the are likely doing it for you.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm going to offer you my perspective as to why you should let the kids sleepover. Both sets of my grandparents lived within 20 minutes of us when I was a child. We saw them frequently. Still, we did not sleepover often so this was a treat. Decades after all of my grandparents have passed away I have wonderful memories of grandpa making us breakfast (buttery toast and oatmeal) or grandma making biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I have great memories of having fun with cousins that also spent the night.

Those memories are priceless. I don't think you should deny your children those kinds of memories. Perhaps explain the crankiness and ask for some help, but know that the kids are creating great memories with the grandparents.

I too have fond memories of sleepovers at my grandparents house or my grannies. It was such a wonderful treat and grandad would make us fritters for Sunday breakfast and then go to the corner shop and bring me a comic.
At my grans we would have formal tea and do crafts in the evening,

Old 01-28-2018, 04:47 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,518,441 times
One daughter lives forty minutes away and we have the kids sleep over if need be. I don't want to sit up waiting for the parents to come in and then drive home at that hour. Occasionally I sleep there but it is a small house with an uncomfortable sofa bed.

Actually the kids probably go to bed earlier for us than the parents. I have lots of "grandma rules" though I do bend them with the food. They love natural yoghurt with hundreds and thousands for breakfast.

It is a treat tonight as tomorrow is the last day of the school summer vacation and we have just our oldest grandson sleeping over. His brother and cousins are all back at daycare already. He is going to the golf driving range in the morning with his grandfather, then sushi train for lunch and probably a swim in our pool in the afternoon. We actually decided he should come and sleep over as it looked like we were going to have the first train strike in Sydney since 1999 and the traffic would have been appalling. The strike has been cancelled but grandson was eager to do all the planned things here.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM

187 posts, read 128,587 times
You don't have to be a grandparent yourself to understand how precious it is to wake up, get their breakfast ready....

Its always people who don't appreciate and complain who are given the opportunities. I WISH my parents were close by....

Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
OP: I would be jumping at the opportunity for a little privacy. What is your real beef?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Obviously they wouldn't just sleep. There would be dinner, maybe a movie, a bed time story, breakfast in the morning. The things that get repetitive and mundane to parents are a special treat to grand parents. I see no harm in letting them spend the night, especially if you don't have anything going on the following day. You should be thankful they are willing.
Yes should be very very thankful.. I dont know how anyone could complain..

Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is it just me or are today's grandparents obsessed with sleepovers? Both sets of grandparents always talk about having the kids overnight. They both live nearby and see the kids plenty. I don't see then need for kids of any age to sleepover. Dropping them off for the day is fine because you can do things with them and have fun. Why the need to have them sleep there? All they do is sleep.

When I was young I never ONCE slept at either grandparents houses and I LOVED spending time with my grandparents and saw them all the time. It gets to the point where every time I ask them to babysit they try to turn it into a sleepover. They always let the kids stay up past their bedtime and spoil them to death. Then when they get home they are tired whinny messes. They act rude and entitled and cranky for 48 hrs afterwards.

It's not worth it to me and I see no benefit. So whats the deal with this? Isn't spending the day with grandkids enough?

Also to add: We are not asking them to babysit late at night. I'm talking any time of day is turned into pushing a sleepover on us.
Who looks after your kids when you and your husband go on vacation, or a weekend getaway? Do you not take vacations alone? Or have a date night? That's usually what the sleepovers are for. But it seems that your problem isn't the sleepovers, per se. It's overly indulgent grandparents.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is it just me or are today's grandparents obsessed with sleepovers? Both sets of grandparents always talk about having the kids overnight. They both live nearby and see the kids plenty. I don't see then need for kids of any age to sleepover. Dropping them off for the day is fine because you can do things with them and have fun. Why the need to have them sleep there? All they do is sleep.

When I was young I never ONCE slept at either grandparents houses and I LOVED spending time with my grandparents and saw them all the time. It gets to the point where every time I ask them to babysit they try to turn it into a sleepover. They always let the kids stay up past their bedtime and spoil them to death. Then when they get home they are tired whinny messes. They act rude and entitled and cranky for 48 hrs afterwards.

It's not worth it to me and I see no benefit. So whats the deal with this? Isn't spending the day with grandkids enough?

Also to add: We are not asking them to babysit late at night. I'm talking any time of day is turned into pushing a sleepover on us.
I read this again and Im in complete disbelief at you.. I really am... your damn lucky and dont realize it.. other women would love some peace as I would have done with three kids on my own.. I got babysitting once a week and that was it.. and that was a moan.. behave yourself and thank your lucky stars..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents