Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your past life is absolutely irrelevent. You cant compare. I live in Miami; I dont know where the heck you're from or lived...but in Miami someone my age having own car and house is RARE RARE RARE RARE....especially in that combination.
And clearly you can't afford it, so be more responsible like those who don't have this stuff in handling your own budget by not having it. Can't afford it, live without it. I've lived in a tent once after putting my stuff in storage. Get over it and work out a way out of it on your own. Get a cheaper apartment if you must. If it's not as "nice" as you want, tough, deal with what you can afford. You need to give up the entitlement attitude. You're not entitled to anything except the right to certain freedoms including the pursuit of happiness. Nothing else, not a car, a home, nothing else, you have the right to pursue what you want out of life but you don't have any right to have it given to you. You alone are responsible for that, and if anyone by chance offers help, be very thankful, it's not required. I was given a place to stay after that tent in a hunting cabin of a friend, which was quite kind of him, but never did I feel entitled to that. I think this will be an excellent but tough lesson, and will teach you to be more responsible if you let it. Might take away the entitlement attitude (all too common these days) and teach you to live within your means. Humility too, perhaps, to replace too much pride and vanity (too proud to ask your parents for help?). My grandparents, all born in the early 1900's, are dead now, but if I'd acted towards them as you act towards yours, they would of given me the choice of the door, or a hickory switch.

BTW: I'm in my mid 20's, slightly older than you, and I own 20 acres of land and will be building my own cabin (with my own two hands) to live in. All it's taken is being frugal instead of wasteful.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's see. You make all kinds of assumptions about my life, but you get mad when I make assumptions about yours.

It was very easy to deconstruct your original post. You don't like your family, and you seethe with resentment. The fact that you wouldn't call up your parents, and say, "Hey, I'm in a jam" is meaningful in and of itself. So basically you want us to agree with you.
My mom was the one to give me the advice to ask HER mother. I always liked my family, but they never welcomed me...which is why I was the 1st one to see them in December (Christmas) after being here since FEB 2007.

Its so much more deeper than this...

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Here's my take - no family, including your own parents, are obligated to allow you (an adult) to join their household. Maybe grandma is being a hard-a** about it because she doesn't want to have to go through the heartache of having to evict her own grandson further on down the line?

You mentioned that you have/had your "own" car and a house at such a young age for your area...if you had your own house then why are you trying to muscle in on granny's? Maybe you were living above your means and it's finally catching up with you? Can't blame granny for not wanting to be saddled with that.

My biggest concern is the comment you made about hating your own race - that would not only be racist, but self-loathing as well. These are both negative emotions and do nothing to better a person's situation.

We all have to go through rough times in our lives, but our perspective makes a big difference in how we ride the waves out. As you've mentioned, you have other alternatives to transitional rooming until you find a new place, so focus on the positive. With relatives who don't see eye-to-eye with you - I would spend little if any time worrying about them - you are not apt to change their ways any time soon so best to move on.

Good luck on finding a new place!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM

By the way homesteader and everyone; I am getting out of it. I made up my mind already to forget the beaches forget the view, the apartment forget the nightlife and Miami Dade College and everyone in Miami and I'm moving out west where it is more affordable.

Thats making it better on me so I can move on.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
I need to grow up? How about I moved out on my own when I was 19 and payed rent and bills since 2006? All on my own, and then came here with $100 bucks, no car, no nothing...and now I have a car, brand new computer, decorated my whole apartment when I found a place to live...and lived well until recently.
And got evicted from your apartment for non payment of rent....now THAT is real grown up.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
My mom was the one to give me the advice to ask HER mother. I always liked my family, but they never welcomed me...which is why I was the 1st one to see them in December (Christmas) after being here since FEB 2007.

Its so much more deeper than this...
Oh, wah. Suck it up. By the time you hit 21, you need to be past all that "Mom and Dad weren't there for me" crap. It's juvenile.

Have you figured out already that nobody's sympathetic? I mean if you had some debilitating disease, we'd be opening our hearts to you. But you're an able-bodied person with a job in what remains a pretty steady economy with no encumbrances outside of college tuition and rent. I know far too many people who would gladly exchange situations with you.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
By the way homesteader and everyone; I am getting out of it. I made up my mind already to forget the beaches forget the view, the apartment forget the nightlife and Miami Dade College and everyone in Miami and I'm moving out west where it is more affordable.

Thats making it better on me so I can move on.
Ah, the plot thickens. You were living in a swank part of town and going out and partying at night. And you're mad because you got into a pickle and the family didn't want to subsidize you.

Sounds like we were right about you to begin with.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM

You know what; I made a mistake by posting this...

You people dont know me or my family and how it really is. On here it seems standard to reprimand me; but you guys dont know the real truth...Perhaps if I go on to tell you more you will understand; but I wont even bother.

I would of hoped that someone sees family as being one that sticks together,..but some of you are making it seem as if i'm irresponsible and am trying to get over on my family. Some of you have given good truthful advice; others have downright overlooked me.

Goodbye and I'll handle this among my family

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Perhaps if I go on to tell you more

some of us read your previous posts after posting and realize that other posters may be right.

rep might be "no big thing", but 10% rating should give you a clue.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
If you're moving west, don't go as far as the Pacific coast. California, Oregon, and Washington aren't cheap. Especially California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents