Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times

Advertisements

I've been holding off on replying...

What it comes down to is the difference between exposure and saturation. And I agree with the OP that the problem is Grandmother won't respect the desired boundaries.

If it was only discussing what Gramma believes and understanding it, seeing it...I'd have no problem - and I'm an atheist. I find it enlightening to let children know more than what their parents are willing to participate in, as long as it is not a dangerous activity or against the core principles of the unit. My parents are Xian...they pray at the table and celebrate holidays. I explained this to my daughter and she understands not everybody believes the same things. So, no issues.
But if my mother was adamant that daughter be baptized (threatening to), attend church or participate in her religion, to the point of an argument, no matter what my parental opinion was...there would be no more unsupervised visitation and limited exposure if at all.

Now, THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK: one thing I am uncomfortable with is the guilt angle...no matter what the relationship or terms of agreement, a family member watching your children for you is a great favor. It might be leverage to pull behaviors back in line, but it comes across in writing as...well...I think we all know what you mean by what you say. It just isn't coming out in the most appropriate way. The "we have to move because", that's what I'm getting at.
I would stick to the TRUST argument, as in, you can't trust her because she will not honor you with any respect. Which is tired and I'm sorry for you. When I first read your story, all I could think is, "crap...that sucks." Pardon.
Can you turn that around so that she can see how it would make her feel? Or is she just so absorbed that the situation has gone beyond that point?

Oh, Suzie...some ministers will baptize a child without the parent's consent, but I think we're getting pretty far outside the mainstream when we go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents