Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times

Advertisements

This is a bit difficult for me to write about. Last night had both granddaughters spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa. They are cousins. One is close to six and the other just turned five. I got them into Pj's...the older was in a nightgown and does not wear panties to bed. They younger went downstairs to get a couple of books for Grandpa to read. We were all in the bedroom together and I was trying to get the blankets adjusted and each settled in there own twin beds.

Grandpa gave me a funny look and I turned to see the older in the nightgown with her legs apart and showing everything. I said"....." put your nightgown down. She said "I am clapping my feet" I didn't want to make a big fuss over this, but I felt it was really disturbing behavior for a girl almost 6. She is an only child.

I cannot say a word to my son or daughter-in-law. I did chat with the child this morning while helping her with her shower. I said there are certain things we do not do and showing off private parts like she did last night is one of those .

I guess what I need to know if this is normal for this age. I could see if she was 3 or four, but almost 6 seems to me to be showing a more modest behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times
IMHO she should be wearing underpants to bed. I can't think of any possible reason for her not to. Why do you feel you can't say anything about this to your son & DIL?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
For what it's worth, I still have to remind my 6.5 year old daughter to "hold her legs together" if she's wearing a dress and is sitting somewhere in public. At 6 they are still not very aware of how they are perceived, (and also they don't care what other people are showing, unless it's something glaringly so, like bum - the funny thing at this age.).

If you can't tell anything to the girls' parents, then don't. As grandma, you have the right to tell her the rules of your house, too. There is nothing wrong in telling her to cover up. And keep covering her with the blanket for now.

Last edited by nuala; 01-17-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
My daughter is 7 and she does that every once in awhile. I tell her constantly to cover up she is showing her private parts and that is not proper behavior. Next time you have her over, if she is doing that, just re-enforce that she is not to show her private parts, it is not proper.

It depends on your relationship with your son, I know if my mom called me up to tell me my daughter was doing that and didn't know how to react, I would have been more than glad she told me so I could have a discussion with my daughter.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Default Granddaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
IMHO she should be wearing underpants to bed. I can't think of any possible reason for her not to. Why do you feel you can't say anything about this to your son & DIL?

My daughter-in-law has had issues with us that I won't go into. We talk, but this would be criticizing her daughter and that is a no-no. I try to set certain rules in our home, which both girls (granddaughters) understand. Doesn't mean they always follow them. I will just continue to tell both of them how "Ladies" should behave and hope that it sinks in.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
My daughter-in-law has had issues with us that I won't go into. We talk, but this would be criticizing her daughter and that is a no-no. I try to set certain rules in our home, which both girls (granddaughters) understand. Doesn't mean they always follow them. I will just continue to tell both of them how "Ladies" should behave and hope that it sinks in.
I feel for you. My mom and sis are in that situation. It doesn't matter what my mom says, it makes sis crazy.

I would just keep doing what you are doing, and let your granddaughter know in your home, she is to cover-up. There is nothing for you to be embarrassed about, she is 6.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
For what it's worth, I still have to remind my 6.5 year old daughter to "hold her legs together" if she's wearing a dress and is sitting somewhere in public. At 6 they are still not very aware of how they are perceived, (and also they don't care what other people are showing, unless it's something glaringly so, like bum - the funny thing at this age.).

If you can't tell anything to the girls' parents, then don't. As grandma, you have the right to tell her the rules of your house, too. There is nothing wrong in telling her to cover up. And keep covering her with the blanket for now.
Great post!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times
I can think of several reasons why she might not be wearing underwear and don't see why she should have to. I think it was handled just right. I would have said the same thing to her (i.e. that it is not okay to show private parts) and not made a big deal out of what was probably an innocent act on her part.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Grandpa gave me a funny look and I turned to see the older in the nightgown with her legs apart and showing everything. I said"....." put your nightgown down. She said "I am clapping my feet" I didn't want to make a big fuss over this, but I felt it was really disturbing behavior for a girl almost 6.
Did you think she was coming onto your husband, or something? Your reaction - saying you were "embarrassed" - seems a bit much.

Do you like this granddaughter, as much as the younger one? I sensed a certain chilliness in your post towards the girl.......

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Did you think she was coming onto your husband, or something? Your reaction - saying you were "embarrassed" - seems a bit much.

Do you like this granddaughter, as much as the younger one? I sensed a certain chilliness in your post towards the girl.......

I cannot find where Gramma said she was "embarrassed". I did not get the feeling that Gramma "loves" one more than the other nor do I think that Gramma thought this had anything to do with "coming on to Grampa". There is no "chilliness" to this post, just a Grandmother being concerned with a young ladies behavior, which is perfectly acceptable. If nobody corrects this childs behavior now, she will only think it is acceptable in the future. I think you are reading way too much into the post. Are you a Grandparent? I have to ask because of other replies you have made to other posts....Do you have annimostiy towards Grandparents in general? It seems that you are on the extreme side of being critical towards Grandparents. If you do have bitter feelings, then maybe not replying to the original threads would be the best thing. Simply to avoid an online feud that will lead nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents