Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 AM

154 posts, read 526,643 times

Advertisements

I was over at a local shopping center in the rough part of town and after a long fruitless search for comfortable shoes my husband and I sat down and looked at the people. We spent maybe 30 minutes just watching the people go by and it was quite a show.

The main thing I noticed was the large number of people with very LARGE tattoos in their face, neck and hands. I do not want to get into a traditional debate about the pros and cons of hidden tattoos, there are countless threads about this. Instead, I would like to debate the mindset of people who choose to get these huge tattoos in very visible places that can not be hidden by clothes.

What goes through the head of a 21 year old just starting out in the world when he/she gets a huge tattoo on their face? Or on their neck or on their hands. I look at my hands all the time and the tattoo to me is "a brand" that would show my opinion about myself on a particular day for the rest of my life. It may look cool to my hip 21 year old friends in 2010 but who knows who my friends will be in 2015 or what type of job I will want to apply for in the future. Maybe in 2010 I am a hairstylist in a hip salon and think a tattoo on my hand and face will bring me credibility in among my hip customers. But maybe 10 years from now maybe I will be tired of being a hairdresser and want to work as an Office Manager in a traditional company. But I have been branded with my facial, neck or hand tattoo. What then?

I would like to hear from people who love tattoos in visible places and understand what they were thinking when they got their large tattoo.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:31 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
My 16 year old and I talk about tattoos from time to time. She wants one on the underside of her forearm.

They say hindsight is 20/20. As a reasonably aged adult, I can see the ramifications of having an unsightly, visible tattoo, but to young people, they see how beautiful it is to them AT THAT TIME and are not capable of seeing it on themselves 20 or 30 years in the future. In their idealistic vision, they will always be young no matter how old they get.

My daughter won't be getting one any time soon.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
As a current business owner and former manager in a National company, I have personally excluded qualified people with visible tattoos from employment. Both men and women.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
As a current business owner and former manager in a National company, I have personally excluded qualified people with visible tattoos from employment. Both men and women.

Smart decision.

I will not patronize any business that does hire those people.
I doubt I am alone in my boycot.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

309 posts, read 1,210,576 times
Greetings,
Lets hope on the flip side tatoo's are on the death bed. a huge fad that young people have fallen prey to .
I know a gal who has her whole body that is almost all tatooted. She was an artist who showed them.
Now she has deep regret and said she is sick of having to go thru the pain to get them, and felt they are not as popular, as they were to get them. Now she is stuck with them and she realizes she wants to change careers, hard time doing with all the tatoo's on her neck, arm and legs. Just places she can not hide. As far careers go, there are behind the scenes jobs they can obtain. Or they can start there own business. So they dont need to feel so defeated.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Tattoos are a little like suicide - a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

It is interesting to me that what used to be rebellion is now the norm. All these young people expressing their individuality and independence by doing exactly what all the other young people are doing.

I wish I held the patent on a safe, painless and effective tattoo-removing process. I'd be unbelievably rich.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Smart decision.

So you judge people solely based on appearance?

Isn't that fairly bigoted?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Smart decision.

Let me qualify non verbal or verbal individual expression is a negative and will lead to lost business in my industry. Conversely if I owned a record store, head shop, bike shop, tattoo shop, biker bar etc I would have no problem hiring individuals with visible tattoos as they would be a positive business draw.

My above stated motives are purely business oriented with regard to tattoos. Personally I have lots of friends and family that have visible tattoos. I love them but would not hire them.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
From what I have read the removal is a growing business and gross wise how more than the tatoo business. But I think the type OP is talking about is pretty permanent.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Let me qualify non verbal or verbal individual expression is a negative and will lead to lost business in my industry. Conversely if I owned a record store, head shop, bike shop, tattoo shop, biker bar etc I would have no problem hiring individuals with visible tattoos as they would be a positive business draw.

My above stated motives are purely business oriented with regard to tattoos. Personally I have lots of friends and family that have visible tattoos. I love them but would not hire them.
Does it matter what the tattoo is?

What if it is a small, clean, well presented tattoo? Would someone who presents them self professionally yet has a small tattoo be considered less than an unprofessional, disheveled person without a tattoo?

I know this is a little off topic, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but I am curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates