Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM

229 posts, read 879,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
Those kids acting in the movie have their parents approval and guidance
This was more/less said by country singer Kenny Rogers when he did that 1982 comedy "Six Pack". In the movie one of the kids with Kenny was a child around 12 or so and every other word it seemed was dirty. I remember seeing parents taking their kids to see Six Pack and laughing at the 12 year old calling Kenny "..an a$$hole" while other parents were shocked...but as Kenny Rogers said at the time..the kids had the OK from their parents to cuss in Six Pack.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
We never censored TV or movies for our kids. We don't have a taste for the sex-and-violence movies anyway so it was never a problem. The biggest controversy I faced when when people found out I let my little boy watch things like Jaws and Jurassic Park. He loved those movies, still does as an adult. He had a friend who would have nightmares after seeing the aliens in the old Star Trek reruns so I suppose each kid is different and it's up to the parents to figure out what needs to be censored and what doesn't. We didn't take them to see R rated movies in theaters though, only kiddie stuff. If it was a grown up movie we used that time to get away from the kids and have a night for ourselves.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
That's the MPAA guideline. It's not a law. The vast majority of theaters choose to follow it. They could choose not to.

The biggest problem with choosing not to is that there are a lot of pressures in the film industry, including the exhibition part of the business, that coax everyone wanting to interact with the mainstream parts of the industry to subject themselves to the MPAA system and follow their guidelines. But it's definitely not a law.

I have frequently been appalled by parents who have brought very young children to the cinema to watch movies that were often too frightening for them.

Children are far more perceptive and imaginative than some parents seem to realise and some subject matter, whilst not necessarily explicitly "physically violent" per se, can still be profoundly disturbing for them.

Why can't parents let their children BE children instead of constantly exposing them, at too young an age, to images and ideas that they will only be able to process rationally at a much older age?

The movie theaters here seem quite happy to take the money and, for example, let a SIX year old watch a movie like "The Changeling" which contained subject matter that would be disturbing for many adults, let alone a little six year old

Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
That got me thinking: Do you think it's fair to restrict children from watching a movie in which another similarly aged kid is swearing like a sailor and slicing one victim's throat and bashing in another victim's skull with a bat?
Its up the parent of that child to decide if its "fair" or not. The MPAA already rates the movies, its just up to each individual parent if he/she wants his/her child to see such movies. Its NO ONE ELSES BUSINESS.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm not seeing in her post where she said that's what she was going to do. Am I missing something? She just said making the decision on how she was going to raise her child was a family decision. Trying to figure out where you are saying she should get her wisdom from.
I could have her confused with another poster, but, it was indicated by one of them that they were going to let the child determine whats right from wrong or words to that affect. If i have her mixed up with someone else, then i hereby apologize. But, I still pose the question to her as to whose standards shes going to adopt for raising her child .

Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
By not being responsible and telling your children why R rated movies are wrong, you are sending a clear message to them that you either dont know or you dont care . The whole idea behind parenting is to train up the child in the CORRECT way they should go, and when they get older it will hopefully stick. And by allowing them to watch the filth and moral degradation always part of R rated movies, you are allowing an already out of control Mass Media to influence your children. Lastly, it is not wrong for me to pass moral judgement on others ; we make judgements concerning anothers integrity ,wisdom, decision making every day of our lives . It only becomes wrong when we pass judgement in a hypocritical manner IE: Me speaking out against R rated movies when i get a steady diet of them too. What you are advocating is the twisted tolerance philosophy of today whereby you expect everyone to be tolerant of things that are wrong , are destructive to others, and which will continue to add to the moral degradation of american society to which im a part of .... all without voicing protest because it is allegedly 'none of my business' , when i have the duty to speak up agaisnt things that are absolutely wrong. There was a time in america not too long ago when we were each our brothers-keeper helping others see the error of their ways...that was before the sad state that our nation is currently in due to the twisted tolerance philosophy which says 'I dont really care' .
I'm not sure I understand exactly why you assume all rated R movies are "wrong". If it's a movie that can strike up a dialogue and provide education, how is that a bad thing? Unfortunately, countries go to war, people live in shantytowns, and people are violently assaulted or murdered. While I don't necessarily think graphic violence is always needed to make a point, I don't think sheltering our children from the realities of the world is a good idea either. In my view, by being realistic with my child about the atrocities that do occur, I AM training my child the "correct" way to go. Just because it's not the way you would go doesn't make me or others irresponsible parents.

I am not saying that all children should just be allowed to watch any movie they choose without parental involvement, but I think it's narrow minded to automatically assume that any and every child exposed to a rated R movie will grow up to be some type of deviant heathen with parents who couldn't care less.

Though admittedly, there are some very irresponsible parents who couldn't care less.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I understand very well that every parent has rights to raise their kids the way they feel is proper and good for them. Most parents do a good even great job - and I sure know that's not an easy task. However we all know that there are many parents that do not know or cannot do it right; parents laking common sense, mentally challenged, or those who do not care about well being of their kids. For those there should be some kind of guidelines what is appropriate for kids and what not. They might not follow it at home, but general restriction should be set in places outside the home.
If every parent would provide the best care for their offspring, there would be no need for Child Protection Services.
We are all aware about physical abuse, but tend to oversee the mental care we are also obligated to provide.
First of all--I am one that couldn't see those pics in post 42. That changes the whole post. I was like, Hey! Wait a minute! What did I say that warranted a ? Damn. I bet my post sounded strange as all get out. I don't know if I should carry on with this discussion as started or start over. I'll give it a whirl.

The mentally challenged? Are we talking about those with extremely low IQs? The ones that cannot see anything from anyone elses point of view, can only work in low paying jobs and have a tendency to look at other adults with large amounts of suspicion? The same ones that often have substance abuse issues? Rated R movies are not the problem and not the solution.

The problem is that these individuals do not have the capacity to put themselves in anothers shoes. So, relationships with their children and others are deeply impacted. Children growing up in this environment don't understand that the parent is severely limited. This is a stage that most children go through that the parent seems to miss. The problem is that they are stuck in deep poverty due to their limitations. The problem is that everyone else is suspect because they don't wear their IQ on their forehead and are ridiculed. Rated R movies are not the problem and not the solution.

Obligations to mental health of children should focus on the availability and affordability of mental health care. That would be getting one's hands dirty.

Having said that, I am perfectly fine with the rating system that they have in place at this time. Here we are on the same page. To go any further is a mistake. It is part of the larger argument of censorship on behalf of the mentally insane and incompetent that has the capacity to impact all art, including literature. This is hundreds of years old. This we cannot allow to happen.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My son actually saw this movie at school. We must have a very open minded school . He's 16 now, I'm thinking it was 2 years ago.

Have you seen "God Grew Tired of Us"? I know this is a bit off topic since it only rated PG. It's a documentary. We saw it a couple of months ago. Afterward my son looked at us and asked, "Why aren't we THERE helping THEM instead of fighting wars in others places we aren't wanted?". He was appalled. And the fact you don't hear much about it, saddened.

Oh - he's also seen Saving Private Ryan at school also.

My feeling on all of this is parents should be the one choosing what their kids can and can't see. All kids are different, handle things different, all parents are different in how they talk to their kids during or after a certain movie - which is why watching things at home is great because you can talk about it.

As far as horror movies and our family - I was never into them. Thrillers, crime scene stuff, etc. - yes, and he has watched those sorts of things from a younger age. The horror stuff he watched at his best friends house. Didn't bother me a bit. His friend comes over here and they play Halo and other games online. I'm not worried he's going to go out and take people out. They are both great kids. His friend is one of the most respectful, polite young men I have ever met.

I'd like to think that along the way, we are doing something very right with our son because even though he's been allowed to watch rated R movies, play some games that are considered violent, listen to music that I'm sure many would cringe at, he's a straight A student, works part time, pays for his own cell phone, car insurance, gas, is a homebody - doesn't go out doing what many other 16 year olds seem to do.

Movies, music, games is an easy scapegoat for parents who just aren't really tuned into their kids. Just my thoughts.

I haven't seen that movie but I will check it out. I would say, yes that is a pretty open minded school. I agree that movies, music, and games is a very easy scapegoat.

I think schools are in an extremely tough situation. At what age is it appropriate to explain drawn and quartered? At what age do we discuss war and the ramifications? Can we expect schools (state sponsered no less) to discuss the American Revolution as a civil war? I think that as parents we do what we can, with whatever knowledge that we have, at any given time. I think that when parents are allowed to parent that we do a pretty bang up job and discussions around Rated R flics at home can rock.

I think you did a great job and raised an excellent kid.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 AM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I have frequently been appalled by parents who have brought very young children to the cinema to watch movies that were often too frightening for them.

Children are far more perceptive and imaginative than some parents seem to realise and some subject matter, whilst not necessarily explicitly "physically violent" per se, can still be profoundly disturbing for them.

Why can't parents let their children BE children instead of constantly exposing them, at too young an age, to images and ideas that they will only be able to process rationally at a much older age?

The movie theaters here seem quite happy to take the money and, for example, let a SIX year old watch a movie like "The Changeling" which contained subject matter that would be disturbing for many adults, let alone a little six year old
We have very different views on this. My view is basically that I'd let a child engage with whatever works--films, music, video games, books, etc.--they are interested in engaging with. Something that they really find disturbing or that bothers them isn't going to be something they want to engage with--that's different than them saying, "That's scary" or "gross" or whatever they might say, but being interested in it because they're entertained by it, fascinated by it, etc.

I had no content restrictions on me as a kid either. I regularly watched horror films as a kid, since I loved them, and I was regularly taken to theaters to see intense films (and sometimes by other relatives who enjoyed that stuff more than my parents did). There would have been far more problems for everyone involved if I had been restricted from that stuff instead.

I agree with you about not making a kid suffer through something they do not want to experience, but that could just as easily go for a film like The Concert as for a film like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It just depends on the kid's disposition and interests. My basic approach is to encourage interests, whatever they might be. I want kids to pursue passions, to be prompted to study things, research things, follow their own muses, etc. It doesn't have to be something that I'm interested in, and I do not believe that there are things not worthy or being pursued, as long as we're talking about consensual things.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I could have her confused with another poster, but, it was indicated by one of them that they were going to let the child determine whats right from wrong or words to that affect. If i have her mixed up with someone else, then i hereby apologize. But, I still pose the question to her as to whose standards shes going to adopt for raising her child .
Um no.. I never EVER said I was going to let my child determine what's right and wrong. Perhaps you should go re-read that before you put words like that in my mouth. What I did say is that if someone is going to try to tell me how to parent my child, they can shove that opinion. I also said that I would not allow my child to see things like this, but I am not going to judge how other people parent their children.

Its no business of YOURS whose standards I'm going to put to my child. They will be MY standards. Parenting a child is a family affair, not a community or TV show or book or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates