Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

No, because many of us prefer mixed breed (mutts and moggys) pets. However, that having been said, I am ALL FOR, people having to buy a license to own a pet. One that is expensive enough to keep the low-lifes out of the mix IYKWIM.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
This would never happen, because:

However, it would reduce the number of animals euthanized every year. Animal shelters and rescues would always have a place in our society.
So once breeding was banned except for show animals and all the ferrel/mixed bred/sub standard cats and dogs had been spay/neutered (or hunted for their $25 pelts )there would be no need for rescues and shelters.

Sure there would be a few criminal folks that would try to breed without the license, certificates and fees, but with the heafty fines and jail time this would jack up the price of illegally bred animals so average ppl couldnt afford them anyway and the market would peter out.
What would be left? A small gene pool of animals that have been "selectively bred" for decades to fit show standards.

You can argue that years of slective and inbreeding does not create specific health problems, but I would beg to differ.

Of course I dont believe this would ever happen anymore than I believe there will ever be such regulations on breeding animals.
I mean why stop there, extended it to livestock and human reproduction. Wouldnt regulating who could breed reduce illness and disease in children and reduce the number of orphans and criminals and increase intelligence and positive traits?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So once breeding was banned except for show animals and all the ferrel/mixed bred/sub standard cats and dogs had been spay/neutered (or hunted for their $25 pelts )there would be no need for rescues and shelters.

In theory, I agree. But we are dealing with human nature. One would think the death penalty or mandatory sentences for heinous crimes would stop those crimes in their tracks - but we still need prisons.

There will always be those that breed and always be feral animals. Animals will always need homes.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I mean why stop there, extended it to livestock and human reproduction.
I can see why you would have a problem with this. We need less people or more food animals - reducing both won't solve the problem.

Just kidding, I know what you are saying.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
The part I don't understand is why some posters think that those who show dogs should somehow be given instant credibility as breeders. It is the show breeders that have caused many of the breed specific health and behavior problems.

I've rescued two dogs and bought two from breeders of working dogs. My working dogs did not look like the "breed standard" promoted in the show ring and thank goodness they did not have the problems associated with tight in-breeding either. "Springer-rage" can be specifically linked to certain kennel show lines while it is not seen in the field bred working dog ESS lines. My yellow lab had great hips and not they typical dysplaisa.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
In theory, I agree. But we are dealing with human nature. One would think the death penalty or mandatory sentences for heinous crimes would stop those crimes in their tracks - but we still need prisons.

There will always be those that breed and always be feral animals. Animals will always need homes.
And there will always be suckers like me who will take them in (and have them fixed).

Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The part I don't understand is why some posters think that those who show dogs should somehow be given instant credibility as breeders. It is the show breeders that have caused many of the breed specific health and behavior problems.

I've rescued two dogs and bought two from breeders of working dogs. My working dogs did not look like the "breed standard" promoted in the show ring and thank goodness they did not have the problems associated with tight in-breeding either. "Springer-rage" can be specifically linked to certain kennel show lines while it is not seen in the field bred working dog ESS lines. My yellow lab had great hips and not they typical dysplaisa.
Because, why else would you breed a dog? The whole point of breeding dogs is to produce the best dogs that epitomize the standards. It is about futhering the breed. Yes, there are bad show dog people who only care about the look of the dog and not the health of them. Believe me, some of the worst breeders are those with the top dogs. But, AKC and the parent clubs don't require health testing. Some push it more than others but until testing is a standard too, it is up to those wanting to buy a puppy to make sure that the breeder/handler is registered in the OFA database and completes all the recommended testing set by the parent club. There is no foolproof way otherwise.

There are bad people that show and breed (or misinformed usually), there are bad rescues, bad petfinder listings, and bad shelters. There is no such thing as a good BYB or Puppymill/Broker. So, it is our jobs as pet owners/lovers to research like crazy to ensure that when we buy or adopt an animal that we are not supporting those people.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Because, why else would you breed a dog? The whole point of breeding dogs is to produce the best dogs that epitomize the standards. It is about futhering the breed. Yes, there are bad show dog people who only care about the look of the dog and not the health of them. Believe me, some of the worst breeders are those with the top dogs. But, AKC and the parent clubs don't require health testing. Some push it more than others but until testing is a standard too, it is up to those wanting to buy a puppy to make sure that the breeder/handler is registered in the OFA database and completes all the recommended testing set by the parent club. There is no foolproof way otherwise.

There are bad people that show and breed (or misinformed usually), there are bad rescues, bad petfinder listings, and bad shelters. There is no such thing as a good BYB or Puppymill/Broker. So, it is our jobs as pet owners/lovers to research like crazy to ensure that when we buy or adopt an animal that we are not supporting those people.
Really? You can attest that no average dog owner has ever had a hand in producing a litter of good dogs and finding them good homes with responsible owners? Bull feathers!

You want to vote with your pocket book I'm all for that. However, when you start legislating freedom away from the many because of the few irresponsible I get my hackles up, growl and defend my rights.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM

I call bull feathers as well.

Quote:
Because, why else would you breed a dog? The whole point of breeding dogs is to produce the best dogs that epitomize the standards.
For some, the point of breeding a dog is to produce companion animals from companion animals that exibit good health, good temperment and intelligence to provide others the joy of such experience (this could be a mix breed). Some of us dont really care if the animals physical appearence epitomizes some standards set by a bunch of old blue hairs sitting around sipping cognac.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 PM

50 posts, read 110,972 times
What we can do is get rid of pet stores! They will sell to anyone, Pet store animals are extremely neglected, and the breeders/puppy or kitty mills that sell to pet stores are EXTREMELY abusive..

Real breeders pay careful attention to who they sell to and adopting from a shelter is like adopting a baby.. They are very picky about who adopts.

getting rid of pet stores will REALLY help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates