Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? You can attest that no average dog owner has ever had a hand in producing a litter of good dogs and finding them good homes with responsible owners? Bull feathers!

You want to vote with your pocket book I'm all for that. However, when you start legislating freedom away from the many because of the few irresponsible I get my hackles up, growl and defend my rights.
Well, you are in puppymill territory so I guess you would think that breeding companion animals is really a high priority. The only reputable breeders in my books are those that show and breed to the best of the AKC/Parent Club standards or those that breed Service dogs. Breeding just for companions is irresponsible and all about making money. Although Showing dogs is not your typical sport there are great people out there that do it responsibly. Money talks for most breeders - but not the reputable ones. One day, irresponsible breeders will be held accountable, will not make money, and the myriad of puppymills in your state and a few others will cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Well, you are in puppymill territory so I guess you would think that breeding companion animals is really a high priority. The only reputable breeders in my books are those that show and breed to the best of the AKC/Parent Club standards or those that breed Service dogs. Breeding just for companions is irresponsible and all about making money. Although Showing dogs is not your typical sport there are great people out there that do it responsibly. Money talks for most breeders - but not the reputable ones. One day, irresponsible breeders will be held accountable, will not make money, and the myriad of puppymills in your state and a few others will cease to exist.
You may not be an ignorant person and we may get along great if we met face-to-face, but the above is narrow-minded.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 AM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Based on the recent news articles where puppy mill breeders have either killed their "stock" or turned it in to the ASPCA, Puppy mills are the biggest offenderd and where the controls need to be in place. Charge Billy Bob or Mr. Shultz 500.00 for EVERY SINGLE PUPPY THEY bring in to this world and the Puppy Mill will be History.
We will always have homes for a few pups that were an accident we have to make those accidents less frequent. I love my Irish Setter, Great Dane, ****zu, Poodle and Papillon mix to death (yes we had him DNA'ed) and I could never get that mix from a breeder!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
So, by your definition, children aren't deserving of a dog? A senior citizen who lives alone can't have a dog for a companion? A couple that can't have children, can't have a dog either?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Based on the recent news articles where puppy mill breeders have either killed their "stock" or turned it in to the ASPCA, Puppy mills are the biggest offenderd and where the controls need to be in place. Charge Billy Bob or Mr. Shultz 500.00 for EVERY SINGLE PUPPY THEY bring in to this world and the Puppy Mill will be History.
We will always have homes for a few pups that were an accident we have to make those accidents less frequent. I love my Irish Setter, Great Dane, ****zu, Poodle and Papillon mix to death (yes we had him DNA'ed) and I could never get that mix from a breeder!
The DNA analysis is probably a scam. There have been instances of dogs with very well established bloodlines and immaculately recorded pedigrees resulting in what seem to be arbitrary DNA results. For example, a purebred lab with a 10+ generation pedigree can get a test result of "Malamute, German Shepherd, Pug".

It's probably meaningless; your eyes and a breed book can yield results at least as accurate.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
So, by your definition, children aren't deserving of a dog? A senior citizen who lives alone can't have a dog for a companion? A couple that can't have children, can't have a dog either?
There are plenty of dogs to go around without them being bred for the purpose of companionship. Purebreds have a bad reputation for people like you that think it is okay to breed for just companionship. Health should be the top of that list and following the standard. If you don't, you have no business breeding the money pits that so many people get themselves into because they like the convenience of going to a petstore or looking at craigslist to get a pet. By only keeping breeding to the responsible people, I can guarantee you that dogs will still be available as not all dogs in a litter are going to be show quality - although it can happen, atleast breeders hope it does!

I don't know about you - but I would rather have a healthy animal than one with a myriad of problems all because I "needed" a companion. Your argument is falling flat. I spent less money getting a puppy from a reputable breeder than most people who buy from craigslist or a petstore. The only difference is that they continue to have to pay for their dog and medical care. I don't. I also have a pound puppy who came from a kill shelter that had a Parvo Outbreak and really always seems to have Parvo outbreaks...there are plenty of dogs to go around for everyone...and I wish that they were all healthy from the beginning rather than having the odds of a lottery ticket as to whether they will be healthy or not. Maybe I set my expectations entirely too high...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The DNA analysis is probably a scam. There have been instances of dogs with very well established bloodlines and immaculately recorded pedigrees resulting in what seem to be arbitrary DNA results. For example, a purebred lab with a 10+ generation pedigree can get a test result of "Malamute, German Shepherd, Pug".

It's probably meaningless; your eyes and a breed book can yield results at least as accurate.
DNA tests are not accurate with dogs in 99% of the cases but have better success with mixed breeds. They are still working out the kinks. For now, they are more novelty items than anything else. There are some states and cities with Pitbull bans or that want to ban Pitbulls by using DNA tests to prove a dog is along those lines. These tactics are being heavily disputed because they are completely worthless for now. Purebred DNA tests are the worst as far as reliability. It is hard to isolate each breed correctly. So, at this point they are a disappointment...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
I do agree with you "there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law." this should be started right now
=============================
[url=http://www.motorhomeinsurance.org]Temporary Motorhome Insurance[/url]

Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
I do agree with you "there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law." this should be started right now
=============================
[URL="http://www.motorhomeinsurance.org"]Temporary Motorhome Insurance[/URL]

Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
don't know about you - but I would rather have a healthy animal than one with a myriad of problems all because I "needed" a companion. Your argument is falling flat. I spent less money getting a puppy from a reputable breeder than most people who buy from craigslist or a petstore. The only difference is that they continue to have to pay for their dog and medical care. I don't.
You assume only dogs bred for show are healthy.
As long as dogs are bred responsibily, not over bred, not bred if they would pass on health issues and owners lined up prior to breeding there is no need for them to be show dogs or have to conform to specific physical standards. As has been mentioned, some people are quite happy with companion mutts. IMO the bigger proplem with overpopulation is many ppl dont intentionally breed for profit but have not been educated or are not responsible enough to have their pets spay/neutered and continue to have unwanted litters.

Personally I dont know anyone who has purchased an animal from a puppymill, petstore or craigslist. Most of my friends rescue from shelters or free pet adds. If they want a pure bred they usually purchase it from and individual that occasionally breeds their family dogs.
I know one couple that bought a dog $450.00 from a "reputable breeder" about the same time I aquired (free) my pitbull from a byb that was going to shoot the remaining pups. Both dogs were diagnosed with ectopic ureter. Other than that my dog is healthy and has not had to see the vet for health issues. Their dog has had two knee surgeries, constant vet visits for ear infections and skin infections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates