Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
[/font][/color]

I've seen purebreeds taken in to shelters too.
Some people get them thinking they're going to be exactly like what they saw that dog to be based on a tv show/movie; or, get them for someone who they thought would want one but it turned out that wasn't the case and that person couldn't care for them either; and unfortunately, another reason that the person/s who adopted the dog could no longer take care of the pooch because of serious illness or death.
Unfortunately, there is a long list of excuses for animals ending up in shelters or being abandoned that have nothing to do with breeding issure or the dogs heritage.

That is another area that needs more education. People need to really think about what is involved in pet ownership, how a particular animal will fit into their lifestyle and what will happen if you become unable to care for the animal (sickness, death, relocation, forclosure, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
I am the original poster. I learned many things from the responses. Few understood my original post but some got what I was trying to propose. Based on the feedback for this topic, I am beginning to understand why almost 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year for lack of homes.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-07-2010 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Unfortunately, there is a long list of excuses for animals ending up in shelters or being abandoned that have nothing to do with breeding issure or the dogs heritage.

That is another area that needs more education. People need to really think about what is involved in pet ownership, how a particular animal will fit into their lifestyle and what will happen if you become unable to care for the animal (sickness, death, relocation, forclosure, etc.)
That's true but some of those excuses are valid, ie- people who take in the animals but meet an untimely demise. We're not always going to think about that tho.

I was referring to the person who was high on purebreeds only being registered for show and that would be the only place you'd be able to see them.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I am the original poster. I learned many things from the responses. Few understood my original post but some got what I was trying to propose. Based on the feedback for this topic, I am beginning to understand why almost 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year for lack of homes.
Then why dont you make your proposal more clear. I dont recall a single poster who was against responsible breeding, spay/neuter or licensing.

This seem to be what most are against.

Quote:
Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months) with significant fines for owners and breeders for noncompliance. What do you think?

It reads to me (please correct me if Im wrong): all animals that is not registered/qualified as meeting show standards would be spay/neutered.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:50 AM

410 posts, read 742,833 times
Quote:
Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months) with significant fines for owners and breeders for noncompliance. What do you think?
Quote:
I understood your proposal. I just don't see it as a practical solution.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM

In my proposal I said there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of animals and only show animals should be allowed to breed. Alley01 explained my reasoning for only breeding show animals the best. Alley01, "Because, why else would you breed a dog? The whole point of breeding dogs is to produce the best dogs that epitomize the standards. It is about futhering the breed." There is no such thing as responsibly breeding mutts or substandard purebreds. For profit breeding and irresponsible pet owners who allow pets to get pregnant are the reason why shelters are so full and so many thousands are being euthanized each day in this country. Many people don't get the connection.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-08-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Texan2yankee

I did understand your proposal then.

Did you watch the documentary link posted?
It is pretty well known and addressed in that video that breeding to epitomize the standards creates an array of genetic disorders. Breeding to epitomize the standard eqautes to breeding for cosmetic purposes, also a point discussed in the doc.

I do not agree that the only reason one should breed is to create a carbon copy of an arbitrarily defined set of cosmetic standards. Some of us actually prefer individually and companionship over something to show off.

Would it end pet over population? If it could indeed be enforced, yes.
It would also be the end of the family dog and eventually dogs altogether.

What is wrong with breeding mutts or "substandard" breeds as long as a license is required, homes are guarenteed and populations are kept to a minimum?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Texan2yankee

I did understand your proposal then.

Did you watch the documentary link posted?
It is pretty well known and addressed in that video that breeding to epitomize the standards creates an array of genetic disorders. Breeding to epitomize the standard eqautes to breeding for cosmetic purposes, also a point discussed in the doc.

I do not agree that the only reason one should breed is to create a carbon copy of an arbitrarily defined set of cosmetic standards. Some of us actually prefer individually and companionship over something to show off.

Would it end pet over population? If it could indeed be enforced, yes.
It would also be the end of the family dog and eventually dogs altogether.

What is wrong with breeding mutts or "substandard" breeds as long as a license is required, homes are guarenteed and populations are kept to a minimum?
What is wrong with breeding mutts? You are trying to create another breed, that is the problem. Do you not see all the designer breeds out there that really should be shelter dogs yet are being sold for 1,000's of dollars because the claims that they are hypoallergenic, etc.? Homes are never guaranteed...what is the point? Why would you breed a mutt? Tell me that? To teach kids about the birds and the bees? Because you love puppies? Because your dog is nice and you think that you can duplicate that? Licenses do not solve the problem of pet overpopulation...which is proven by the amount of puppymills, and BYB's as well as hoarders around. The main reason all those people breed is for Money!!!!

Breed for health, and follow the standards set by the parent clubs and the AKC or don't breed at all. There is no middle ground...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM

2mares, "Some of us actually prefer individually and companionship over something to show off.
Would it end pet over population? If it could indeed be enforced, yes."

People's right to individuality is what is killing millions of dogs and cats who are born to die each year. Having a dog to "show off" wasn't the point of my post at all. All dogs should be beloved companions, right? A dog born to show dog parents and a much loved companion animal aren't mutually exclusive. You are truly missing the point and don't understand what I was saying.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
2mares, "Some of us actually prefer individually and companionship over something to show off.
Would it end pet over population? If it could indeed be enforced, yes."

People's right to individuality is what is killing millions of dogs and cats who are born to die each year. Having a dog to "show off" wasn't the point of my post at all. All dogs should be beloved companions, right? A dog born to show dog parents and a much loved companion animal aren't mutually exclusive. You are truly missing the point and don't understand what I was saying.
I dont think thats it. One can own a mutt as easily as a purebred. Lack of education abd regulation and available/affordable spay/neuter is what is creating overpopulations.

You stated Alleyo1 explained your reasoning for breeding only show dogs:

Quote:
Alley01, "Because, why else would you breed a dog? The whole point of breeding dogs is to produce the best dogs that epitomize the standards. It is about futhering the breed."
"Its about furthering the breed". I've not heard anything about love and companionship. Which, by the way, can be accomplished without a high pedigree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates