Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months) with significant fines for owners and breeders for noncompliance. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
There is such dissagreement on this that it will never happen. there would be such an uproar from everyone that it wouldn't even get off the bus let alone on to the field. My bet would be 75% of the people would oppose it for one reason or another and the other 25% would want it. Even those who want it the majority would really be saying they want it so long as it applies to everyone else but them.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,205 times
There is a problem with the license and regulation part. It gives us another bureaucracy. Do we need that?
As to neuter/spay prior to purchase...when was the last time an 8 week old puppy was spayed/neuters?
What is needed is a lot of high profile education on the matter. Since dogs are a big part of our lives, I think it would be a good idea to put the matter into the classroom. Get the point across to the kids. The adults are already hopeless.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,953 times
I think if you're going to have a pet you should either pay for a breeder’s license or pay to spay/neuter. Too many people out there get pets then let them run loose to crossbreed with other pets of irresponsible owners.
There is a woman around a local Mickey Dee's that feeds about 15 feral cats, this, IMO, is a crime! She is breeding disease; she is promoting more wild (feral) animals for what? They're cute??

(Poor little kitties! Poor little kitties my butt, if I knew I wouldn't get thrown in jail I'd put a bullet in each of their skulls.)

Feral cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Because cats are not native to all parts of the world, feral cats can cause harm to local environments by preying on local species.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
That thought is so impossible that I can't even think about the likelihood of that even becoming a remote possibility. Most states can't even keep up with their licensed facilities and most that advertise online are not licensed. Unless you have some big brother system where you inspect each and every house continuously, that will never happen.

It is up to the people who buy/adopt these animals to get them from reputable breeders who do health testing, and who further the breed not make money off of it. If people would just educate themselves before they step into a petstore or find a breeder, the world would be a better place with less unwanted pets. If the BYB's and Puppymills don't have business, they will have no need to stay in business. In an ideal world...people would actually help animals and not hurt them. Petfinder is no guarantee that you will get a dog or any other animal from a reputable rescue, shelter, etc. So, if you do your homework and report people who are not great for animals then maybe this will get under control and this question wouldn't even exist.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months) with significant fines for owners and breeders for noncompliance. What do you think?
It wouldnt be long until dogs and cats would become extinct in this country. If show animals were the only ones allowed to reproduce, soon only show dogs would be left and only those who show would have companions. Then due to interbreeding and the heath problems that causes there would be no healthy dogs/cats left.

I think it would be sad to live in a society where only the wealthy could know the love and companionship of a dog or cat. I think that education and affordable spay/neuter clinics are the answer.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

410 posts, read 743,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I think if you're going to have a pet you should either pay for a breeder’s license or pay to spay/neuter. Too many people out there get pets then let them run loose to crossbreed with other pets of irresponsible owners.
There is a woman around a local Mickey Dee's that feeds about 15 feral cats, this, IMO, is a crime! She is breeding disease; she is promoting more wild (feral) animals for what? They're cute??

(Poor little kitties! Poor little kitties my butt, if I knew I wouldn't get thrown in jail I'd put a bullet in each of their skulls.)

Feral cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If she's feeding them, then they probably won't be preying on local species, will they? And furthermore, I'm assuming that if she is feeding them she has contact with them and may even be handling them. Wouldn't continuous contact domesticate them, thus decrease the number of feral cats? What would this world be if all animals were domesticated anyway? And I hardly think that feeding an animal should be considered a a crime.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Who's going to tell all the stray alley cats that they need a license before they can breed?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

410 posts, read 743,145 times
Quote:
I agree with you to some extent. I feel strongly that one must really lack in the ethics department if they continue to breed for profit knowing how many homeless animals there are in shelters and how many are euthanized due to overcrowding in shelters. I think breeding should be limited, and limits should be based on the number of homeless pets. Enforcement on laws against 'puppy mills' and unethical treatment of animals should be made more of a priority.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
There are a lot of mill-type operations that are licensed and regulated that represent a problem several orders of magnitude greater than any BYB. More licensing and more regulation coupled with mandatory spay-neuter and significant fines for non-compliance would essentially amount to a punitive tax and would have virtually zero of the intended impact.

Trying to regulate supply to fix a problem stemming from demand doesn't work. All it does is affect the people who are following the rules anyway. It doesn't matter if it's cocaine, alcohol, guns or dogs.

I've said this in a couple of other threads, but if you want to fix the problem, make the annual licensing fee for an intact dog $1000, the annual licensing fee for a sterilized (not necessarily spayed/neutered) dog $200 and the annual licensing fee for a rescued dog $50. Existing animals could be grandfather so that only newly acquired dogs would be subject to the new fees and people who can demonstrate that their dogs are "gainfully employed" in hunting, tracking, S&R, police, military, detection, therapy, agriculture, guiding, showing etc. etc. may receive a 90% working exemption and licensing fees drop to $10 for any dog aged ten years or older. The increased revenues from the licensing fees then support enforcement personnel and shelter operations. The significant fines would come into play when someone is caught with an unregistered dog or an unsanctioned litter/operation. Of course, you can't reasonably expect to stop every instance of accidental or BYB, but it would be like poaching; you can't catch 'em all, but you can make 'em all think twice by making getting caught really miserable (and thinking twice is enough for most people).

This directly addresses the demand for inexpensive versions of popular breeds and designer breeds, forces people to THINK before getting a dog, encourages rescue, does not punish breeders who "do it right" and would cure the woe that is the American Epidemic of Unwanted Animal Euthanasia.

Fixing the cat problem is a little easier. Offer $25 per pelt at the county seat. (I kid, I kid...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates