Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Iguess its more like football palyers or any such comparison. The older players who set the records get respect for what they have done. The new players have eyt to earn any respect. Real respect has always been earned and some never achieve it in sports or anything else in life really.Even then they may get different degreees of respect from different people. Just surviving gets you some after a lifetime :IMO.Just imagine yourself in combat;whose advise would you respect a fellow nebie or a veteran who has been in combat a lenghty time. That is my view really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM

427 posts, read 550,121 times
Yes, old people deserve more respect. Now, I ain't just sayin' that 'cause I'm one of them old people. Well, maybe I am. Which is why I would say yes, old people deserve more respect. And that's somethin' young people may not agree on or act upon, until maybe they live long enough to be one of them old people.

To the youngins out there, stick around, get old. You'll get it then, if ya don't already!!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
My grandmother will be 94 years old in March, and until about a year ago was quite mobile and sharp - she's still mostly there, but Alzheimer's is starting to take its toll. That being said, I do love the woman, but she can be a sharp-tongued bigot at times... she often blames it on being an "old lady," but my older relatives maintain she's always been like that. Whoops!

I do show older people more respect, and value the insights they can offer. However, that doesn't mean I necessarily believe (or agree with) everything they say, especially if they have views that are stuck in the Great Depression. Nothing wrong with an older point of view, but they should also be merged with current trends and practices.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM

352 posts, read 187,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Respect is earned, not deserved.

You reap what you sow.
And you sew what you rip.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:36 PM

210 posts, read 471,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The 'Generation Gap' is exaggerated. Back in the 1930s kids still talked back to their parents, got drunk, had sex...

Although today it's worse.
Is it really worse or are there just millions more to make it appear worse?

Regarding the topic:

They deserve no more respect than any other person, however, I do give them more consideration to the elderly as they are usually not as able-bodied and carry a lifetime of memories, including regret and pain, with them. I also find them to be some of the most interesting and undervalued people alive.

More consideration, yep. More respect, not unless they earn it, and I'm sorry, just hitting a certain age doesn't give anyone a free pass.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Once all the baby boomers have died, it will be one step forward for America's race relations. Sad but true.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Once all the baby boomers have died, it will be one step forward for America's race relations. Sad but true.
What? Boomers are the people who GAVE black people civil rights.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
What? Boomers are the people who GAVE black people civil rights.
Young people, black and white, are a lot less racist than old people by and large. Young people can understand the significance of racial tensions of the past but we didn't live through it. You can say this makes us less "wise" but I say it makes us more innocent and less racist.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Everyone deserves respect, right up until they speak, and unearn it....

Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I believe people are worthy of equal respect.

Unfortunately, young people often make the mistake of thinking people do not respect them because of their age. Often, it seems that the problem is many young people make little or no effort to be respectable. Older people usually realize that they way that they treat others has a great deal of impact on how others treat them. Younger people sometimes need a few lessons to get this one figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates