Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times

Advertisements

One indisputable fact about old people is that we are far more likely not to be around much longer to bother you than young people.

So cut us some freakin slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM

101 posts, read 288,740 times
Yes, they are. Is the rule to respect your elders not in play anymore? I could go on and on but will keep it short.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromLA View Post
Yes, they are. Is the rule to respect your elders not in play anymore? I could go on and on but will keep it short.
Why? I am not disputing what you're saying but just interested in the thinking behind your point of view.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 PM

869 posts, read 971,991 times
Wisdom should come with age. Unfortunately it often doesn't. Therefore the expression "There's no fool like an old fool!" Generally speaking, however, a certain consideration and respect should be shown to th elderly until otherwise indicated based on our moral duty which is derived from our mortality and ability to suffer.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Just for being alive longer? Is their opinion more valuable? On one hand, old people do have a long archive of experience, but on the other hand, some people are idiots no matter what age they are.
Yes. Life is hard. Think about all the crap you've been through for however long you've been alive - let's assume you're around 35. So, someone who is 70 has been getting kicked around in this world for twice as long as you. That doesn't earn your respect?

Everyone has a tale to tell, and you can learn from even an idiot's experience.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM

65 posts, read 92,947 times
Default You can't force respect

Respect is an emotion and you can't force someone to feel what they don't. Respect is something that developes.

What if the question were " Are young people worthy of less respect than old people"? I believe most folks would say that young people must earn respect. I'ts the same with older people.

Being a certain age doesn't automatically entitle respect. It would be like automatically disrespecting someone because they are old. It doesn't make sense to me.

Many, if not most older people HAVE earned my respect, but not because of something as shallow as their age. It's because of how they conduct themselves. I'ts the same with younger people too.

Courtesy however is an action and should be given to ALL!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,636 times
I feel that the young and strong have a duty to show respect and consideration for the old, frail, and weak. The elderly, pregnant women, the ill, and children are more vulnerable and deserve our care and respect.

I can still show respect to people I don't like or agree with and people I think are idiots. In fact, I think people with low intelligence should be given more patience, not less. After all, it's not their fault that they are intellectually challenged. If they are old and dumb, all the more reason to be kind.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I feel that the young and strong have a duty to show respect and consideration for the old, frail, and weak. The elderly, pregnant women, the ill, and children are more vulnerable and deserve our care and respect.
That's not respect; that's consideration. And it should go without saying (which, unfortunately, is not always the case).

Respect is something that has to be earned, and it doesn't make any difference how old you are.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
My father commanded respect, even with multiple strokes, he was bright, funny, and cognizant of his surroundings; firm, definitive, and precise in his thought processes. He had a biting sense of humor and a sharp perspective, and everyone admired him from the time he was in his 20s til he died at 72. He didn't tolerate the sympathy of those who thought he was old and frail or a cripple - even when he was. He was always a perfect gentleman - even with a cane or a walker, he would hold doors open for women.

My mother on the other hand was a very silly woman, she spent thousands of dollars on psychics, "cheap land in Baja, California!" and after my father passed found an ad in the Globe grocery-store paper from a guy who promised "I can get you all the money from the government that you deserve!". She sent him her Social security number as well as my father's, and ALL of her personal information. When her SS and retirement money started disappearing right after it was deposited, she - blamed the bank tellers for stealing it. Even though I proved to her that the guy was wanted in 7 states for fraud, and was being sought by several attorneys general, She insisted that it couldn't be him - he was nice. My father and she had seperate bank accounts for this reason; he was very frugal and when he passed left her not only three insurance policies, but $37,000 in the bank - he had even paid for their burial spot in advance. In less than a year she was broke, and had to move in with us. She stayed with us for 4 years, usually hiding the vodka bottles under her bed. Then, solvent again, she bought a new Lexus and moved 150 miles away to my brother's house, and never paid another dime on the car. A year after she passed, they were still looking for their money or the car - which my brother kept in his garage.

Whom do you think I respected more?

People earn respect. Age, pregnancy, physical disabilities have nothing to do with it. I've known quite a few women who got pregnant to 'trap' a man (yes, still in this day and age) or to get money from the government, and people who drank or got stoned and ended up shot or crippled because of their behaviors. I am polite to folks I don't know, but I don't respect them until I know them - and only when they have shown that they are worthy of respect.

Last edited by SCGranny; 05-07-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's not respect; that's consideration. And it should go without saying (which, unfortunately, is not always the case).

Respect is something that has to be earned, and it doesn't make any difference how old you are.
No. You are limiting the definition of respect to that of a feeling. Respect can be a feeling, but it can also be a conduct of ethics and a moral value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates