Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times

Advertisements

Everybody deserves basic respect. Children, adults, senior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:31 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
I am not due any respect whatsoever because of my age. (Well, I don't want it anyway.)
I am not due any respect whatsoever because of my prior military service (I don't want that either.)

If somebody comes after you and I'm around and if I can, then I'll do my best to kick seven bells of **** out of the guy who attacks you. I and many thousands of others have done that before.

We don't need your respect - nor do we (the ones who are still here) particularly want it.

Most of us would, however, be very pleased if you would take time to remember the ones who won't be at home today.

And their families.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Generally yes....but I think it also depends on the individual and the circumstances.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
I agree with DD above...

I recently was in a high school class. Because I've lived for a period of years in 3 foriegn countries, the teacher for world geography asked me to come in and talk about culture to her classes for the day.

The conversation turned to respecting cultures, not just our own, but others as well. Then, we eventually got to a student who thinks they should get respect before they give it. I asked him why and he said "because I deserve respect!". I asked him what would happen if he met someone who thought the same way he did... how would he get past that impasse. He said "it might get ugly, but I'll get my respect."

Sad, really. I was taught when I was young to respect my elders. My nearly 21 years in the Navy taught me you could respect rank/position without respecting the individual. My experiences have taught me that you should give respect to get respect (in this way, there's no possible way for an impasse).

So, I challenged the student to come to the board and write two sentences about what respect is... TWO sentences and he couldn't do it.

I think a pre-requisite for demanding something (especially respect) is to know what it is and be able to articulate it in some way before you demand it!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Perhaps a little off-topic, but some of the comments in this thread reminded me of this piece of writing:

Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953). 195. Socrates (469-399 B.C.). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989

Old 01-31-2017, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
People deserve equal respect regardless of their age as long as they show respect.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:09 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Based just on age, no, there is no prerequisite of respect based on that alone. In certain situations, such as a teaching type thing, a younger person should show a level of respect for an elder who is imparting knowledge and wisdom gained from years of experience in the subject at hand. An older person can also do the same with a younger teacher. Experience , knowledge , wisdom and humility are worthy of respect regardless of age. But nothing should be given out of hand just because of age.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Just for being alive longer? Is their opinion more valuable? On one hand, old people do have a long archive of experience, but on the other hand, some people are idiots no matter what age they are.
I think you've answered you own question.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Proper Boy Scouts help old ladies across the street.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
I believe in being kind and respectful toward the elderly, but I'm not going to just give them whatever they want, just because they want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates