Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I have a young relative who occasionally rants on her fb page about "old people" (meaning, of course, anyone over about 35). She says, "If I want advice, I'll ask someone my age who knows what I'm going through."

If you were lost in the woods, which person would you rather come upon? One who is also lost, and thus can identify with you? Or one who long ago was lost in those woods, but who now knows the way out? I'd prefer the second.

Of course that doesn't mean that all older people are wiser than all younger people.
I like that analogy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 05:17 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I have a young relative who occasionally rants on her fb page about "old people" (meaning, of course, anyone over about 35). She says, "If I want advice, I'll ask someone my age who knows what I'm going through."

If you were lost in the woods, which person would you rather come upon? One who is also lost, and thus can identify with you? Or one who long ago was lost in those woods, but who now knows the way out? I'd prefer the second.

Of course that doesn't mean that all older people are wiser than all younger people.
I'm in my 60s and I listen closely to people in their 80s talking about what they're going through.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Just for being alive longer, older people probably have more practical knowledge and definitely more experience - for that reason, they should be listened to. Respect? That is a matter of what their personality and attitude shows.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
There are different forms of respect. Some have conditions, some don't. Seniors in general do not need or deserve crap from some disoriented bunch of over-reaching whippersnappers. A pat on the back, some thanks, and some good wishes for the future would be much more to the point.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I think that us "oldsters" deserve a tad bit more of what I'll call "consideration", but "respect" is something that is earned.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 AM

I would suggest that it is something that can be lost.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I would suggest that it is something that can be lost.
It can be.
But I also think there is no grounds on which to "respect" a stranger.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 AM

What would be the grounds to presumptively "disrespect" a stranger? I would again suggest that all humans and many other living species are by default deserving of respect and are indeed owed it until such time as they actively forfeit their right to such consideration.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Just for being alive longer, older people probably have more practical knowledge and definitely more experience - for that reason, they should be listened to. Respect? That is a matter of what their personality and attitude shows.
This is quite true.

But past experience is also a double-edged sword, because it imbues people with a sense of how things should be that often manifests itself into resistance to change. Younger individuals, while lacking experience, do tend to think more outside the social and culture box.

The two balance out.

The whole 'older people deserve more respect' idea originated as just another way of institutionalizing the the power of individuals, who had spent years and decades accumulating it so that they were usually among the older half of a society. And, of course, those in power had the means to enforce their self-serving ideas.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
What would be the grounds to presumptively "disrespect" a stranger? I would again suggest that all humans and many other living species are by default deserving of respect and are indeed owed it until such time as they actively forfeit their right to such consideration.
Here's the definition of respect that I use: "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements."

Based on that definition, I have no idea what a stranger's abilities, qualities, or achievements are, and therefore have no reason to respect him or her.

Of course, there are other definitions of respect.

Further, you seem to think there are only 2 possibilities -- respecting a stranger or disrespecting a stranger. One could also be neutral until there is some knowledge about the stranger.

Since you "respect" strangers so much, I assume you give all hitchhikers a ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates