Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm still going to chime in...

I think most people are worthy of respect regardless of their age and you should treat people with respect until they give you a good reason not to. No one should get away with being rude regardless of their age.
Yes I totally agree...

Just last night on my job I encountered one person (1 out of 100... or more) who was so incredibly rude, and even using the F word at me, I couldn't believe it. And this person was in their 40's, not a young person. In fact most of the people who've ever been particularly unpleasant in the job I do are in fact about 40-60 yrs old, never get as much trouble from the younger customers, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yes I totally agree...

Just last night on my job I encountered one person (1 out of 100... or more) who was so incredibly rude, and even using the F word at me, I couldn't believe it. And this person was in their 40's, not a young person. In fact most of the people who've ever been particularly unpleasant in the job I do are in fact about 40-60 yrs old, never get as much trouble from the younger customers, in general.
You may be in some sort of customer service capacity.

I think older people have lived through a lot of loss leaders and false advertising and are more wary of parting with their bucks. They are also the targets of bogus financial planning scams, because they often have a nice little retirement nest egg, don't trust the stock market, banks offering no interest, and see muni bonds as unsafe with cities now declaring bankruptcy. I think they are just naturally more suspicious when it comes to parting with a buck.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Simply put, having managed to avoid death for 80 years doesn't give you the right to act like a toddler when things don't happen to go your way.
It also probably means that you were doing some things right, and deserve respect for having done so. If you don't believe me, wait till you get a little older and lose some of the sharpness and flexibility you had when you were young. Then try to keep a happy face pasted on 24/7...

Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yes I totally agree...

Ah yes, customer service and people using the f-bomb. Yes, in my experience it was always the 40-60 (female) crowd with the foulest mouth too. To me that's verbal abuse if it's geared towards you (to which I've said, "you have no right to talk that way to me").

As a general statement:
But, just because a few older people act crouchity towards me (my grandma's vocab,) doesn't change my view that I think everyone deserves the respect until proven otherwise.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I'm an old Fart (80) and have probably forgotten what many young people have yet to learn.

We (most) do not look for any special treatment of sorts. Being handicapped do have a cane and many times a younger person (Male and Female) will hold a door open for me and my response is always a SMILE and a THANKYOU. So...hopefully it can be contagious.

There can be a BAD apple with older or younger folks depending on their own particular living situation. We should NOT judge all from the experience of one bad circumstance.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Please read and adhere to the additional rules of the Great Debates forum before posting.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Just go about in your life treating all people, young or old, decently/respectfully unless you have good objective reason not to. No matter what their age. When you go around acting as a bastion of respectfulness, you find people might respect you too.

And even if somebody is a "fool", there is a lot to learn from a fool. "Listen To The Wisdom Of A Fool", as Norman Wisdom once sung. Very true, even a poor example serves as a learning experience. Learn from your mistakes and others'.

When I see young people behaving badly I think, well they have less experience, and a lot to learn, and more time to learn it in. I hope they do learn these lessons and become deservedly respectable older people.

When I see older people behaving badly (just as often too...) I think, well as they are not going to be around much longer, they're going to have to learn a lot more a lot more quickly and it is very unfortunate they behave that way for one so old; I hope I can avoid being like that by the time I reach that age.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Yup, definitely, older generations survived and reproduced their genes and their society/country (which is not always a trivial matter), younger generations need yet to prove that they have what it takes to accomplish these monumental tasks that give our lives so much meaning .

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Everyone should be treated with respect as much as possible. Young, old and in between.
Age does bring a certain amount of wisdom usually, but not always. Some people are less capable of being "wise" than others. Some younger people are far wiser than some older people.

Everyone is different.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
People today confuse manners and courtesy with respect. You should treat everyone with dignity, kindness, manners and compassion or at the very least with common courtesy. Should you respect everyone? Respect is giving someone earned regard and admiration for having done something worthy of being respected. You should respect everyones rights but who says you should respect everyone? If its an older person you have to assume they've probably done something worthy of respect. They've lived a long time, raised children, held jobs experienced hardships, possibly fought in wars, helped others. They've experienced life and have something to pass on, knowledge.
A young person may have done something and probably will do something worthy of being respected. But they mostly aren't there yet. So, an older person is generally more worthy of respect than a young person. They've contributed more to society so they should get more consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates