Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Can a man play on a woman's sports team? NO. (Just about any woman who is good enough would be allowed to play on a mens team - happens all the time.)
Can I t-off from womens golf markers? NO.
Can I join a womans only gym? NO. What sort of lawsuits would you see if I started a men's only gym?
Are government contractors under eeo pressure to ensure women are represented based on numbers vs performance? YES
If the fire department's acceptance tests were tightened to allow only the number of candidates required, let's say 100, how many women would be part of that 100? Yet how many are actually hired due to lowering the bar low enough until the "right number" of women pass?

Should men be expected to earn more than women when mens career choices (engineers vs school teachers) and mens experience (not taking five years off to raise kids) are factored in? YES.

Next Question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Men have it rougher in child custody and divorce cases and are much more likely to be sentenced to death in capital cases. I suppose their should be voices to speak out against any inequities.

That said we need, as a society, to stop griping about group rights. The only Rights that ought to be of paramount importance are our Rights as individuals. We're having a hard enough time just fighting government for those Rights guaranteed in The Bill Of Rights, for heavens sake!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
In many cases if a woman doesn't like a man she can yell rape and he's in the slammer without being able to defend himself as the law takes her word and not his. If the opposite it's all a big laugh towards and against the man.

Double standards anyone?

Oh by the way which sex files for the majority of divorces?

IMO: Men have the same rights to have MRA as women do for them.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Should men be expected to earn more than women when mens career choices (engineers vs school teachers) and mens experience (not taking five years off to raise kids) are factored in? YES.

Next Question?
But shouldn't these things be weighed on an individual basis? There are female engineers and male teachers. And BTW, not all women have children.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I as a man have legitimate concerns over certain laws and societal assumptions that disadvantage men and treat us unfairly. Some people have swallowed the line that throughout history women and only women have been oppressed by men. For a start, men oppress other men as much as women. Secondly, we have to put in place checks and balances to ensure that any advances women make do not impinge upon the rights of all citizens.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can a man play on a woman's sports team? NO. (Just about any woman who is good enough would be allowed to play on a mens team - happens all the time.)
Can I t-off from womens golf markers? NO.
Can I join a womans only gym? NO. What sort of lawsuits would you see if I started a men's only gym?
Are government contractors under eeo pressure to ensure women are represented based on numbers vs performance? YES
If the fire department's acceptance tests were tightened to allow only the number of candidates required, let's say 100, how many women would be part of that 100? Yet how many are actually hired due to lowering the bar low enough until the "right number" of women pass?

Next Question?
This might happen in amateur sports, but even if she was 300 pounds and built like a Mac-truck I don't think big Bertha would be allowed to play in the NFL.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I as a man have legitimate concerns over certain laws and societal assumptions that disadvantage men and treat us unfairly. Some people have swallowed the line that throughout history women and only women have been oppressed by men. For a start, men oppress other men as much as women. Secondly, we have to put in place checks and balances to ensure that any advances women make do not impinge upon the rights of all citizens.
I agree, that there are areas of inequality on both sides. And they'll probably never be addressed until folks get together and organize to change that. Unfortunately, "ideology" often starts creeping into these "movements", reinforcing the very ideas of "victimhood" they were fighting in the first place!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 AM

131 posts, read 209,120 times
waaah those damned women don't want us to be socially superior to them waaah

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
But shouldn't these things be weighed on an individual basis? There are female engineers and male teachers. And BTW, not all women have children.
Tell that to those who claim women in general are treated unfairly because they only make 72 cents per dollar men make.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This might happen in amateur sports, but even if she was 300 pounds and built like a Mac-truck I don't think big Bertha would be allowed to play in the NFL.
Show me the rule prohibiting her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates