Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The Japanese that suffered were paid reparations - not their descendants, hundreds of years later.

One of my family lines have been here (in the north) since the 1600s - I have documentation proving their service during the Revolutionary and the Civil Wars. The other lines got here post 1900 - why should I (or my tax dollars) be used to give cash to the descendants of slaves? This is just silly. Some people like to cry, others like to work. Not everyone with black skin is looking for a handout in the name of some long dead relative, btw - some of them moved on.
One of them became a Justice on the Supreme Court, and guess who some his most vociferous critics are. Mr. and Mrs. Chip-on-the-Shoulder.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
They have a word, well, several words, for the point you make. I'll give you a few of them.

The Past
Irrelevant
Alibi
Excuse
The Runway Behind You (as opposed to the Runway in Front of You)

The facts will never change, but they are irrelevant in their own right. They have relevancy only when used as an excuse. Lots of people were brought to the colonies as indentured servants, but that was put behind them.

Slavery is behind blacks, 150 years behind them. It only gets relevancy because people want to use it as an excuse and an alibi.

It's time for people to get up on their own feet, stand up like men and woman and quite blaming 150 year old history for their own failings.
There are several words for the points you make:

Dillusional
Backwards
Lack common sense
Retarded

Yes, thank you...they were brought to the colonies as indentured servants, not shackled in the bottom of a ship and not stripped of their cultural identity. Also indentured servants were free after a certain number of years....and once free were not discriminated against through Jim Crow laws....again you are comparing apples to oranges! The past shapes the present and the future.

Based on your lack of logic, if your daughter or any other woman in your family is brutally raped......do not seek justice, do not try to catch the (rapist) perpetrator and send him to jail.....tell your daughter to forget about it and move on because the rape happened in the past! Do you see how crazy this logic is?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There are several words for the points you make:

Dillusional
Backwards
Lack common sense
Retarded

Yes, thank you...they were brought to the colonies as indentured servants, not shackled in the bottom of a ship and not stripped of their cultural identity. Also indentured servants were free after a certain number of years....and once free were not discriminated against through Jim Crow laws....again you are comparing apples to oranges! The past shapes the present and the future.

Based on your lack of logic, if your daughter or any other woman in your family is brutally raped......do not seek justice, do not try to catch the (rapist) perpetrator and send him to jail.....tell your daughter to forget about it and move on because the rape happened in the past! Do you see how crazy this logic is?
Your gibberish proves my point quite nicely.

Have a nice life living back there in the past. Me? Onward and Upward - success and freedom. Leaving the past, well, in the past.

You'll never "take off" because you have your thrust reversers permenantely deployed.

Too bad, so sad. Just don't park on the runway.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The Japanese that suffered were paid reparations - not their descendants, hundreds of years later.

One of my family lines have been here (in the north) since the 1600s - I have documentation proving their service during the Revolutionary and the Civil Wars. The other lines got here post 1900 - why should I (or my tax dollars) be used to give cash to the descendants of slaves? This is just silly. Some people like to cry, others like to work. Not everyone with black skin is looking for a handout in the name of some long dead relative, btw - some of them moved on.
Notice in the news article where it says Japanese or their heirs were paid!
You are wrong.....in the case where those Japanese who were directly affected by the atrocity were deceased....their heirs (descendants) were paid the money. Again it is only American racism that stops African descendants from receiving payment for the owed debt.

Also not just the Japanese.....anytime there is monetary damages paid to someone (car accident where person is killed) if they die their heirs (family) receive the money. This happens everyday in American courts....so this is not some kind of new approach that African Americans are asking for.

http://www.democracynow.org/1999/2/18/wwii_reparations_japanese_american_internees

Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Your gibberish proves my point quite nicely.

Have a nice life living back there in the past. Me? Onward and Upward - success and freedom. Leaving the past, well, in the past.

You'll never "take off" because you have your thrust reversers permenantely deployed.

Too bad, so sad. Just don't park on the runway.
Exactly, just like I suspected you could not provide a direct answer to your own twisted logic.....so you fell right back on the same stupid argument!

On ignore list....no time for ignorance!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Exactly, just like I suspected you could not provide a direct answer to your own twisted logic.....so you fell right back on the same stupid argument!

On ignore list....no time for ignorance!
I see you have surrendered. Even this post makes no sense. Why would I answer my own logic, twisted or otherwise.

But thank you once again for helping prove my point.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM

101 posts, read 288,771 times
What ever happened to the concept of people in America just being Americans, regardless of skin color or creed?

Thats what I love the most about these discussions its all about this race and that race and I'm a blank American and your a blank American.

You know when we learn to put all this crap behind us and start working together as AMERICANS we can make this country a hell of a lot better place.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'll be honest. I have no respect for Robert E. Lee, or any Confederate general for that matter, or the Confederate Army. And I make no apologies for it either.

ROFLMAO

You have no respect for them yet you have enough respect for yourself to us a screen name of a known pirate, crook, murder, and slave trader.

In October 1812 the Lafitte brothers purchased a schooner and hired a Captain Trey Cook to sail it as a privateer. The schooner did not have an official commission.In January 1813 they received their first prize, a Spanish hermaphrodite brig loaded with 77 slaves. Sale of the slaves and additional cargo generated $18,000 in profits and the brothers turned the captured ship into another privateer, named Dorada.

Jean Lafitte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

busta

Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
They have a word, well, several words, for the point you make. I'll give you a few of them.

The Past
Irrelevant
Alibi
Excuse
The Runway Behind You (as opposed to the Runway in Front of You)

The facts will never change, but they are irrelevant in their own right. They have relevancy only when used as an excuse. Lots of people were brought to the colonies as indentured servants, but that was put behind them.

Slavery is behind blacks, 150 years behind them. It only gets relevancy because people want to use it as an excuse and an alibi.

It's time for people to get up on their own feet, stand up like men and woman and quite blaming 150 year old history for their own failings.
Statements as above demonstrate how hypocritical and the lack of respect white Americans has for the black race. NEVER, NOT ONCE HAVE I EVER HEARD a white person tell a Jew to forget the holocaust, or make statements as above against the Jews. Why, because white America is afraid of the Jews that's why.

Furthermore, it's quite interesting how White America, want black people to just forget about their slave history, while holding on to their ancestors history of arriving at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Germans, Jews, Italians, the Irish they all pride themselves on the history of their ancestors arriving in America, but cringe when black people talk about the history of slavery.

So, here's the deal white America, when you stop talking about your history and ancestry then, I'll stop talking about mine.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-08-2011 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: .../

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Or, possibly, hear.

I have to tell you Mr. Pirate, you, like so many other blacks (I am assuming you are), are your own worste enemy. You are forever holding yourself down and dwelling in the past that was over before you were even born.
You guys condemn yourself to substandard lives by the perpetual wearing of a chip on your shoulders. You have had it surgically attached, and wear it as some sort of merit badge, and a constant, convenient and always-available excuse.

You are doomed, and you did it to yourself. Very sad.
Me, doomed? I am in college. My father has a degree and is living a decent life. I'm not holding myself down. I am working on getting my life better. Are you suggesting I should ignore the things that happened to my ancestors? That's like asking Jews to forget about the Holocaust, and I don't recall anyone asking them to forget, and Jews themselves don't forget. I am simply stating that slavery had some effects. Alot of pathologies developed under slavery passed on to generations after, being incubated under the Jim Crow era. Jim Crow era only ended about 45 years ago, right around the time the industrial base of the USA economy was declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates