Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

As massive databases of knowledge accumulate in the form of digital records, and less is kept in other durable forms, a catastrophic loss of digital records would plunge mankind into chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
As massive databases of knowledge accumulate in the form of digital records, and less is kept in other durable forms, a catastrophic loss of digital records would plunge mankind into chaos.
Small tiny example. Your stuck, car dead Cell dead. You have to call someone to get you. Stand at a phone, no phone book,but then if like so many of us you don't have a landline, won't help. So, do you actually have a printed list of your 'contacts' or just hope you'll never need to remember a number or two?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Dark Ages

I fear the Islamic culture will, because it will never stop trying, overwhelm the Western world. Its response to the exposure to a free and open society has been condemnation and a return to a horrific past. If it continues on this path and refuses to accommodate secular society it will have to be destroyed. This goes beyond war into pest control and will have to be a complete as the Spanish destruction of the Inca and the Aztec.

Western secular culture is facing an economic crisis as the very wealthy have subverted the market system and replaced it with nearly feudal cronyism. Even if the current system breaks down the society will recreate an economy that might just work b y removing the coercion and replacing it with free innovation. We are also facing a military crisis as nuclear weapons have precluded any more continental wars. Without these the excess production has to go somewhere so we invented a system of Forever War involving low level but very expensive conflicts to protect the investment of the crony capitalists. These will diminish as we move to distributed energy not dependant on dwindling oil sources.

There is also the problem of not being able to feed, house and cloth much of the expanding human population. I believe this will be solved as secular prosperity automatically reduces the need for many children to assure parents they will have someone to care for them when they get elderly. Actually caring for the aged may become the next great economic revival. If not the old population controllers of War, Famine, Plague and Pestilence are still around.

Thus I see some worldwide hard times coming but I also figure someone will figure out how to have everyone live well enough that they can forget about the Horseman as well as about abject poverty or international perpetual war. I hope.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
the Hindus say that when society reaches a stage in which property confers rank, inwhich wealth becomes the only source of virtue then we are in the Kali Yuga or dark age.

Quote:
I fear the Islamic culture will, because it will never stop trying, overwhelm the Western world. Its response to the exposure to a free and open society has been condemnation and a return to a horrific past. If it continues on this path and refuses to accommodate secular society it will have to be destroyed. This goes beyond war into pest control and will have to be a complete as the Spanish destruction of the Inca and the Aztec.

I believe that Islam is on its last kick like a dying animal. The reason I believe that is because Islam cannot hold back the tide of the modern world and Islam has no defense against a few changes to modernity. If one change happens the whole edifice collapses. They will carry on a bloody fight for a long time but their end is near. If they were winning they wouldn't have to be violent. The reason that they are violent is because they are losing. True, its the fastest growing religion in the world but that doesn't mean its on sure footing. We in the west seem to think that the muslim people think just like the terrorists and others who want to spread Islam. But that isn't true. Many people in muslim countries don't go by religious laws anymore. They eat pork and drink just like in the west. And on Ramadan many stores are open and car dealers even have Ramadan sales. Many more examples could be given. The arab spring risings weren't about religion it was carried on by young people who want jobs. They see what the chinese did in growing into a world economic power and they want that too. I could be wrong but thats my take on it.

Last edited by TheViking85; 12-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Merged post to avoid a deletion and fixed quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates