Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 01:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The typical breakfast doesn't vary much from Seattle to Houston, bacon egg, sausage, oatmeal, orange juice, omelets,pancakes..okay, I didn't find breakfast taco in Seattle. But for the most part, there's very little cultural diversity in the U.S.

In Europe, a typical British breakfast is very different from a Spanish breakfast.
You are comparing diversity between a country ( USA ) and a continent ( Europe ). That is not a valid comparison.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:29 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've never left the U.S. in my life and I'm 27 years old. Hopefully someday I can visit other countries. I just watched tons of tour videos of other countries across the world, and I beg to ask the following: Is it just me, or does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?

Other countries, such as France, Italy, China, Egypt, etc, have unparallelled scenic/natural beauty with stunning architecture that nothing in the U.S. can compare. But the U.S. seems to severely lack in these things.
You need to get out more. The reason why you are impressed by videos of other countries is that the video crew is paid to take video footage of impressive places... not of the miles of bland or boring places along the way. The USA is fairly young in comparison to the countries you cited. You won't find ancient palaces but you can raft the Colorado River, hike the Appalachian Trail, catch a wave in Hawaii, mountain bike through the Rockies, or eat some amazing regional food in New Orleans or Santa Fe.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
OP, at the time you first wrote you were 27. So very young grasshopper. What makes anyplace bland or boring is yourself and your expectations. I wonder how you feel these days?

Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM

417 posts, read 345,354 times
The United States is just so boring I mean there's nothing to do is cities like New York City

Just look at that emptiness

Nothing to do in San Francisco.

Nothing to see in Honolulu either

Vegas is just a desert

Chicago is just gang land

And UGH America has the worst architecture

Oh yes and our land is very bland and boring

Ah America is so bland and boring guys

Last edited by ffaemily; 06-25-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 06:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Your observation seems very astute to me.

In terms of architectural beauty, foreign countries win. And maybe even in terms of scenic beauty. The U.S. does have a certain examples of grandeur - the Grand Canyon - but not so much. Perhaps a case could be made that Americans don't care much about sensory beauty; I suspect that in comparison with Europeans, we don't eat as well, aren't as aware of classical music, don't go to museums as much.

But the real question is, if you're 27, when are you going to get yourself a passport and launch yourself out? Start with something easy like England, where language isn't a factor. Get yourself a bunch of brochures about the wonderful smaller towns, as well as London.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
It's easy to get bored with what you grew up seeing. The grass is always greener.

This is just human nature and nothing more. The constant desire to find something better.

The United States is enormous and highly populated. Further, that population is distributed across the entire landscape, each region has a major city. Other comparatively large countries have populations that are lop-sided in its distribution.

This means that the vastness of our nation is more noticeable to its residents than elsewhere. That can lead to the illusion of emptiness and unending uniformity. However, that is just an illusion.

Seeing America through the eyes of a total outsider is unimaginable to us as Americans. Most of the time this country really impresses visitors.

Even our flat lands are not uniform. Middle Ohio and eastern Colorado are both flat, but have plenty of visual differences; you just have to care enough to notice.

You can travel an entire planet's worth of landscapes and never leave the US.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You are comparing diversity between a country ( USA ) and a continent ( Europe ). That is not a valid comparison.
Is it fair to compare USA and China? China is a very diverse country with distinct regional food and languages.

In fact, a small country, Spain is also more diverse culturally than the US. Basque has its own language that has very little in common with Spanish. Every region has its own food and wine.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
I both agree and disagree with the OP. Despite all the development, US still has great natural beauty. It is being degraded every day by over development, human encroachment, global warming and pollution. But at this point, there is still a lot to see and a lot of choices from different US regions. US has breathtaking mountain ranges, beaches, desserts, wetlands, etc.

Architecturally, there are some US cities and older small towns that have beautiful architecture and are pleasant to visit. NYC, Miami, SF, LA, Boston, Washington DC, etc are all tourist attractions known all over the world. But average Americans mostly live in bland, boring and ugly suburbia with no sidewalks, standard ugly houses and crumbling electric poles. And this suburbia looks pretty much the same or similar all over the country...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 06-27-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
The typical breakfast doesn't vary much from Seattle to Houston, bacon egg, sausage, oatmeal, orange juice, omelets,pancakes..okay, I didn't find breakfast taco in Seattle. But for the most part, there's very little cultural diversity in the U.S.

In Europe, a typical British breakfast is very different from a Spanish breakfast.
Like a bagel with cream cheese and lox in NYC is different than Shrimp and grits in Savannah, which is different than pork debris and eggs in New Orleans?

You can find an omelette in France, England, and Spain. Doesn't mean that those are your only options. Just because you don't look around the USA, doesn't mean it's not there.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
Is it fair to compare USA and China? China is a very diverse country with distinct regional food and languages.

In fact, a small country, Spain is also more diverse culturally than the US. Basque has its own language that has very little in common with Spanish. Every region has its own food and wine.
Yeah, in the USA, the Cuban part of Miami is EXACTLY like the heavily Finnish influenced Upper Michigan. Those cultures are so close, you could easily be confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates