Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 731 times

Advertisements

I think the US has great natural beauty, but the layout of infrastructure doesn't seem to vary greatly, and just as one McDonald's looks the same everywhere, so too can US architecture. But think about it America is a relatively new country, so its done its best in a short space of time.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tactictaylor View Post
I think the US has great natural beauty, but the layout of infrastructure doesn't seem to vary greatly, and just as one McDonald's looks the same everywhere, so too can US architecture. But think about it America is a relatively new country, so its done its best in a short space of time.
Speaking of infrastructure, most of it bypasses the best scenery (see I-90 through western and central NY)! Obviously for logical reasons, but to experience another state, one must go off the beaten path.

I once rode through rural southeast Ohio on my way to Columbus from Wheeling just to get off the highway. It was gorgeous, and we ate at this little diner and the people were awesome, the food was great, and it was so easy to miss.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
I can't be bothered to read all these pages of replies but I hope the OP has actually made a point to actually tour and see THIS country since it was clear from the post that he hadn't done that. I wonder how many states he had even been to when he wrote this post? One/two?

Maybe less time posting on CD and more time travelling about would be the first step.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:25 AM

292 posts, read 725,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've never left the U.S. in my life and I'm 27 years old. Hopefully someday I can visit other countries. I just watched tons of tour videos of other countries across the world, and I beg to ask the following: Is it just me, or does the U.S. seem very bland and boring compared to numerous other countries?

Other countries, such as France, Italy, China, Egypt, etc, have unparallelled scenic/natural beauty with stunning architecture that nothing in the U.S. can compare. But the U.S. seems to severely lack in these things. It's almost as if the layout and urban/suburban design of the U.S. is designed for a capitalist system where the primary concern is business and economics. We have tons of cookie cut-out neighborhoods from the 1950's. But other countries seem like they are more designed for beauty and leisure.

I mean, yeah, the U.S. has great scenic beauty in itself, but it seems flatter and blander compared to the rest of the world. And it seems like the U.S. has TONS of suburbia compared to other countries and heavy reliance on interstate highways and a more rural feeling in general.

Is there truth to this assertion? Hopefully someone who has traveled to other countries can confirm or deny this for me.
Well if you've spent your entire life in Jacksonville, FL I can understand. I lived in Florida for four long years and can tell you it's the armpit of America in terms of scenery. Flatland with endless Subdivisions. I recommend you take a trip west of the Rockies and tell me if the scenery is boring.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:59 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,197 times
America bland and boring? Simply a matter of personal taste and nothing more - like whether you prefer chili to jambalaya or the other way around. It's that simple.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:15 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
Well if you've spent your entire life in Jacksonville, FL I can understand. I lived in Florida for four long years and can tell you it's the armpit of America in terms of scenery. Flatland with endless Subdivisions. I recommend you take a trip west of the Rockies and tell me if the scenery is boring.
Or they could go north...

Old 03-05-2019, 05:40 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Everyone on here disses suburbs. But stop to think that a big part of the American dream was to own one's own home with a little land around it. In many parts of the world home ownership translates to a small high rise apartment.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Everyone on here disses suburbs. But stop to think that a big part of the American dream was to own one's own home with a little land around it. In many parts of the world home ownership translates to a small high rise apartment.
I think of this often. I’ve never lived in anything but a house with a yard, except for a few months in an apartment. I can’t imagine how it must be for someone to live in an apartment in a city. I would hate it.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:51 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I’m not sure you can say America is bland and boring but you can make an argument for Americans. But thousands of people from all over the world travel here to see our natural amenities. We live in Utah and have relative easy access to dozens of national and state parks. The mountain west and west coast are absolutely beautiful.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I’m not sure you can say America is bland and boring but you can make an argument for Americans. But thousands of people from all over the world travel here to see our natural amenities. We live in Utah and have relative easy access to dozens of national and state parks. The mountain west and west coast are absolutely beautiful.
The Utah parks are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates