Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times

Advertisements

They have a "payee". BUT... they also get a weekly $75 allowance, and that allowance is used for their grocery shopping/spending. They have the *right* to spend that money however they want! We can only attempt to guide them, but most of the time, it's useless.

Last edited by springazure; 02-03-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its true,you can't force them to take meds,ever.
You do,and that's assualt and battery,in Nj anyway.

One curious question...I'm a nurse,but is the op a medical professional?
How is it possible for her to give meds with no license(unless she is a med tech)?
We have a Med Tech that drives around to each house multiple times per day, to administer their meds. I, as Staff observe the Med Tech account for their medications, and document that I observed them take their medications, without concern, or REFUSED their medications, or whatever problem they pose that day.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 AM

And thank you to those of you that came forward about the *rights* issue.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
As I stated in my OP... they also have a plethora of ABC diagnosis. Schzophrenia and ODD being the common. (and every single one of them is mild or moderate Mentally *Challenged*)

I don't consider them "group" homes, because the homes are not owned by the Agency.

Every single year I have to take a 8hr class required by the State in reference to their *RIGHTS*! I can be a felon for violating the rights of ID/MI. So I truly resent anybody trying to argue with me, that I don't know what I'm talking about, or that my Agency is abusive.

And I used the term *retarded* but that's the term most people are familiar with. The actual new term is ID..... Intellectual Disability (but the average Joe doesn't know about the name change)
Listen...

No one is trying to argue with you.

We are just pointing out that nothing much is going to change. Ever. Too much money and time is required.

Plus, anyone as upset as you seem to be is clearly burned out.

That level of burnout is a bright red flag when it comes to abuse and whatnot...

Seriously, take a vacation and go work in long term care. There are plenty of little old ladies that could use your help.

And while some may smear feces everywhere, it isn't malicious. Usually anyways...

And you make more money and you actually make a difference in someone's life. And many of them appreciate it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 925 times
I'm NOT a troll, and I'm NOT trolling for trouble. I actually work in this Industry, so I have 1st hand knowledge, of what I speak. I understand all this..... Disabled Adults have *Rights* thingy, but I think we've lost our common sense. There are MR (Mentally Retarded) Adults that truly don't deserve to be part of a community. They ARE a danger to society, but somehow they get shuffled into programs that are geared towards Independent Living Facilities, and these people will NEVER be INDEPENDENT! They will have to be babysat 24/7 for the rest of their lives! (BTW... 80% are court mandated) Now Keep in mind, I'm only referring to the Independent Living Adult clients my Agency keeps sucking in.... With my Agency, we have 2-3 MR Adults sharing a rented apt or house. Their money (taxpayers money) pays the rent, utilities, and they actually get some pretty decent size SS checks. Then there's the Food Stamps and free medical they get. Their income is actually BIGGER THAN MINE and I'm working overtime to babysit them! There's only 2-3 per rental house, because law states you can only have ONE STAFF per THREE CLIENTS! And each address is staffed 24/7. These people have ZERO Alone Time, and there's a high probability they will NEVER earn Alone Time. They came to us, fresh out of prison, or they dodged a prison sentence, or their history proves they are about to end up in prison. There is NO WAY they will ever be able to work at McDonald's. They can't read, write, or sign their own name. Many speak a very slurred speech. Not only are they mild-moderate Mentally Retarded, but they have a plethora of other ABC diagnosis to add. Schzophrenia and ODD being the most common. 90% of them are hyper-sexual, and the guys seem to be the most guilty of rape, child molesting and beastiality. The women keep getting pregnant over and over again. They give birth to MR kids who end up in the system by the 1st month! For starters, this is a fiscal nightmare for the taxpayers. I'm confident that keeping them in an Institution would be wayyyyyyy cheaper! And why aren't they being "fixed", so they can't have any children? If you come from some rich family that can AFFORD to have 24/7 staff for your loved one, for their entire life, then more power to you! But to dump these family members onto the taxpayer system, and EXPECT them to be ENTITLED to the same community *freedoms* as everybody else is absurd! I'm talking about.... *imagine this*.... 23 yr old MR has a longgggggg repeateddddddd history of VIOLENT (attempted) sexual rape against female staff..... Why on earth is this individual *rights* still sooooooo important? 29 yr old MR has repeated history of child molestation and beastility, yet allowed into an Independent Living Facility. Isn't time they spend their life in an Institution? 55 yr old MR that repeated attempts to *bully and intimidate* staff when we insist he take a shower. It's only been 5 days,and he reeks!!!!! He smears feces on the toilet seat, and staff cleans it up. AS A TAXPAYER, WHEN DO TAKE BACK OUR COMMON SENSE, AND PUT A STOP TO THIS???? I'll be the 1st to acknowledge, not ALL MR's are like this, therefore, obviously I'm NOT REFERRING TO THEM! (duh) Care to discuss.... the whole.... they as Disabled Americans have *rights* gets tricky.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 AM

I'm on TAXPAYER BURNOUT!!! The system needs to change, and it can't change if if the Average Citizen is in the dark, about what the heck is happening, outside their line of vision.

I'm dealing with clients that have been kicked out of 5 other Agency's. We are getting the worse of the worst. We need to bring back Institutions for these people. I swear..... it would be wayyyyy cheaper than doing it this current way.

When the *rights* of these particular clients TRUMPS the *rights* of the community.... we have a problem!

Watch the news.... there's non-stop chatter about all the different ways the USA is in trouble. Fiscal irresponsibility of Congress, Entitlement Programs, ObamaCare.... how many States are facing Bankruptcy?

*We the People*.... it always comes down to *we the people*..... the collective WE can't change a damn thing if WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!

I know for a fact, that most Americans are truly naive about a particular subject I just brought to light! The TAXPAYERS need to be educated about how their money is being spent. How else can WE demand change?

This is a Political statement of Fiscal Responsibility. Point. Blank. Period.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Quote:
I'm on TAXPAYER BURNOUT!!! The system needs to change, and it can't change if if the Average Citizen is in the dark, about what the heck is happening, outside their line of vision.

I'm dealing with clients that have been kicked out of 5 other Agency's. We are getting the worse of the worst. We need to bring back Institutions for these people. I swear..... it would be wayyyyy cheaper than doing it this current way.

When the *rights* of these particular clients TRUMPS the *rights* of the community.... we have a problem!

Watch the news.... there's non-stop chatter about all the different ways the USA is in trouble. Fiscal irresponsibility of Congress, Entitlement Programs, ObamaCare.... how many States are facing Bankruptcy?

*We the People*.... it always comes down to *we the people*..... the collective WE can't change a damn thing if WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!

I know for a fact, that most Americans are truly naive about a particular subject I just brought to light! The TAXPAYERS need to be educated about how their money is being spent. How else can WE demand change?

This is America. Individual rights will ALWAYS trump community rights. Seriously... Have you not studied our history or govt?

Don't make political statements if you have no understanding of our political system...

If you want community to be more important than individual you may wish to try North Korea...

SMDH...

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I don't know where you're from but here, there's a set amount you get for disability. I know, because I have friends who get it. It doesn't matter if you have more issues, you get the same amount, unless you've had a work history.

But if you had a work history and made BIG BUCKS.... then you get a bigger check, right? I ask this because I dated (short term) a guy on Disability and he was getting over twice the amount you quoted.

These MR's were born MR. I could be wrong, but I'm rather certain they get to claim their Disability under their PARENTS income.... hence..... some get some pretty hefty checks!

Feel free to correct me....

Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is America. Individual rights will ALWAYS trump community rights. Seriously... Have you not studied our history or govt?

Don't make political statements if you have no understanding of our political system...

If you want community to be more important than individual you may wish to try North Korea...

SMDH...
Then why do we have prisons? Maybe we should just release all the prisoners?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:

Thank you for enlightening us about the situation. It stinks, no doubt about it. I'm just sorry this has fallen on deaf ears for the most part and you have received some judgemental comments where none was warranted.

Unfortunately, when you expose the down side of caring for mentally retarded/mentally ill, you are accused of being burned out, uncaring, etc. Parents who have abdicated thier responsibility for their MR children will fight tooth and nail not to have any changes made to the system. They like it just fine that no money comes out of their pocket, that someone else has to deal with the acting out and inappropriate behavior, and hauling them here and there with no inconvenience to themselves. Any changes proposed will encourage these parents and family members to rush to their congressman with petitions and heartwrenching stories guaranteed to block any useful changes.

I have come to the conclusion that we, as taxpayers, have very little say in how our money is spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates