Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If that is true and I don't think it is, it will come out in the suit if it goes to trial. We do not know what was said between the person in charge and the father. I don't think any father would ever be more concerned about anything more than the health of his child.
...except for the racist that felt the need to ask that NO Black nurses attend to the health needs of his child.

The supervising nurse on staff who actually agreed to the father's request needs to be terminated. She actually placed the arbitruary (and inappropriate) request of a patient's father over the needs of the patient. Ridiculous decision making such as this is to the detriment of all patients who were under her supervisory care.

So if there was an emergency (ie infant went into cardiac arrest) in the NICU and the non-Black nurse was not immediately available to attend to the child, was the Black nurse supposed to simply stand by and wait for a non-Black nurse to hopefully reach the patient in time to provide care?

Was the father of this child offering to pay for a private duty, non-Black nurse if one wasn't already on staff to cover all 24 hour shifts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,507,273 times
Quote:
I think that is over the top unless the person lost her job or income because of this decision.
So we should accept racism and discrimination unless we lose our jobs or income? Maybe we should accept separate bathrooms for blacks and whites since everyone can still use the bathroom? Or ban Jews from some restaurants since they can just go to other restaurants. No real harm, right? Heck, maybe black nurses should accept just changing bed pans since they don't lose out on any income and still get to keep their jobs. That should also be acceptable, right?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
...except for the racist that felt the need to ask that NO Black nurses attend to the health needs of his child.

The supervising nurse on staff who actually agreed to the father's request needs to be terminated. She actually placed the arbitruary (and inappropriate) request of a patient's father over the needs of the patient. Ridiculous decision making such as this is to the detriment of all patients who were under her supervisory care.

So if there was an emergency (ie infant went into cardiac arrest) in the NICU and the non-Black nurse was not immediately available to attend to the child, was the Black nurse supposed to simply stand by and wait for a non-Black nurse to hopefully reach the patient in time to provide care?

Was the father of this child offering to pay for a private duty, non-Black nurse if one wasn't already on staff to cover all 24 hour shifts?
His child would die and that would be his own fault. Of course, he'd probably sue the hospital anyway, but he'd still have killed his own child due to his actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
So we should accept racism and discrimination unless we lose our jobs or income? Maybe we should accept separate bathrooms for blacks and whites since everyone can still use the bathroom? Or ban Jews from some restaurants since they can just go to other restaurants.
Nope. We should only tolerate it in health care settings. Problem solved. No slippery slope nonsense.

Last edited by Violett; 02-20-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If the father was simply concerned about the health of his baby he wouldn't have made the demand that black nurses not be allowed to care for his child.

A parent who isn't racist wouldn't even think about the race of the nurse.
I think, as innocent as it is, you guys are missing the point. IN medicine, we are taught NOT TO PASS JUDGEMENT OR ACT SURPRISED BY ANYTHING OUR PATIENTS NEED!!!

I have seens some STRANGE stuff in my day, but you are to keep a straight face (no matter how hard), not look shocked or even frightened (altho I HAVE been by some of the stuff I have seen/heard) and render care to the best of your ability for the good of the patient....have I seen folks of a "different persuasion" than me get sexual toys with batteries included stuck in their anus....YES. Do people with certain "desires/needs" make you wonder WTH???? on a regular basis...YES! But your JOB, as a health care professional is to say, "treat the patient as best you can to meet their needs making them as comfortable as possible" and do your JOB. Now, if the lady had lost wages, job or position, no issues. But in this day and age, if someone stupid enough (and yes, passing judgement because I am NOT rendering health care) to have a antisemetic tatoo on their body asks me to take a black or jewish care giver off the case), I would do so in a NY second to protect both the caregivers from any and all false accusations AND to render the care that was requested based on their belief/thoughts...regardless of how "warped" I personally find them.

People ARE crazy....and the thought of a situation being created that can be avoided in a health care facility should be the #1 priority...keep EVERYONE safe.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

What if, in an emergency situation, the father called 9-1-1 and the ambulance showed up at his house with two black medics?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I think, as innocent as it is, you guys are missing the point. IN medicine, we are taught NOT TO PASS JUDGEMENT OR ACT SURPRISED BY ANYTHING OUR PATIENTS NEED!!!

I have seens some STRANGE stuff in my day, but you are to keep a straight face (no matter how hard), not look shocked or even frightened (altho I HAVE been by some of the stuff I have seen/heard) and render care to the best of your ability for the good of the patient....have I seen folks of a "different persuasion" than me get sexual toys with batteries included stuck in their anus....YES. Do people with certain "desires/needs" make you wonder WTH???? on a regular basis...YES! But your JOB, as a health care professional is to say, "treat the patient as best you can to meet their needs making them as comfortable as possible" and do your JOB. Now, if the lady had lost wages, job or position, no issues. But in this day and age, if someone stupid enough (and yes, passing judgement because I am NOT rendering health care) to have a antisemetic tatoo on their body asks me to take a black or jewish care giver off the case), I would do so in a NY second to protect both the caregivers from any and all false accusations AND to render the care that was requested based on their belief/thoughts...regardless of how "warped" I personally find them.

People ARE crazy....and the thought of a situation being created that can be avoided in a health care facility should be the #1 priority...keep EVERYONE safe.
I have seen patients get extremely angry when asked to pay their co-pay for an office visit, or fly into a rage at the hospital when ER charges were being discussed.

If avoiding situations is the #1 priority I guess we should stop asking patients to pay for services rendered.

People cause situations all the time over all different situations. Once in a pediatric office where I worked a mom became enraged when she turned the waiting room tv from a Disney cartoon to Jerry Springer, and the office manager told her she couldn't watch Springer when there was a roomful of children. Should we remove tvs in waiting rooms to avoid situations?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:

Thank you for an educated answer. People that have not worked for the public for years have no understanding of the tightrope walking public servants do on a daily basis. Yes, there were many time when I could have said "poor little me" and sued but out of respect for the place you work, you do not do it IF YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL. You work together with the rest of the staff to make a team and comfort each other in the back room. It was already established early in the thread that this hospital was not a racist environment. Amazing how people want to twist things for their own agenda. Sounds to me like the situation was handled in a very professional manner for the betterment of everybody involved. And no I do not think the supervisor should be fired. People with good judgment are hard to find and she had very good judgment about the situation.

This lawsuit is nothing beside of the suit they could have had if the baby had died after the parents request had been denied. The employee was protected from a law suit and the patient was reassured.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
This is false.

Patients are allowed to make crazy requests to a limit and most places allow gender requests in very limited circumstances.

Racial requests are never granted.

I've not seen it once in almost 14 years.

Requests? A lot.
Requests being granted? Never.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is false.

Patients are allowed to make crazy requests to a limit and most places allow gender requests in very limited circumstances.

Racial requests are never granted.

I've not seen it once in almost 14 years.

Requests? A lot.
Requests being granted? Never.
Are you saying that it's not uncommon for patients to request that caregivers be a particular race?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:

Patients are not allowed to dictate their entire medical treatment and you know that. A hospital patient can't demand a six pack of beer every day during his hospitalization or the right to smoke in his room.

The medical profession should--within reason--attempt to make patients comfortable. The whole point that you and a couple of others don't seem to get is that a request to have healthcare provided only by people of a particular race is not a reasonable request. It doesn't pertain to safety. It doesn't pertain to skill. Unlike a woman's request to be seen by a woman doctor it has nothing to do with modesty either. (I find that request questionable, but I don't put it in the same category as one that is based purely on race)

Do you think the hospital ought to simply ignore Title VII of the Civil Rights Act?

What would you think if hospitals got away with this sort of thing, if supervisors slowly stopped hiring black nurses and staff because they didn't want to be in this position again?

What other requests by patients do you think ought to be granted? I've mentioned the ones involving drinking beer and smoking cigarettes? How about continuing their illegal drug habits? After all, you seem to think we should ignore Civil Rights laws so that we can make a patient more comfortable.

I think you are confusing the notion of acting within reason to make a patient feel more at ease with the notion of giving them everything they want. I know there are some supervisors in the work world who try to do that sort of thing. They are mistaken.

I'm starting to understand just why its been so hard for blacks and other minorities to achieve something close to equality of rights in this country. Attitudes like this continue to hold some of them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates