Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No such right exists. What would make you think it does?

In fact, I think its a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which contains sections about fair employment practices for the hospital to allow patients to make such a choice.

I see a couple of solutions here:

1. Ask the parents to take the baby to another hospital where they will hear the same thing and than maybe let the message sink through their dumb, thick skulls.

2. Ignore the parents. They want something which is unlawful..
That right does exist... read the patient bill of rights that you get at a medical facility. You the customer have a RIGHT to reasonable services. A patient or family has every right to request whatever medical staff they want to attend to them and their loved ones. If they didn't you would have some serious issues. It isn't unlawful for anyone to request reasonable care. The hospital gave the patient the reasonable care requested.
"The patient has the right to expect that, within its capacity and policies, a hospital will make reasonable response to a patient's request for appropriate and medically indicated care and services"

If the hospital didn't honor the patients request than the patient has a right to sue the hospital.
Discrimination comes in all forms against all people at some point in time. To openly say one case is ok over another is pure hypocrisy in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
That right does exist... read the patient bill of rights that you get at a medical facility. You the customer have a RIGHT to reasonable services. A patient or family has every right to request whatever medical staff they want to attend to them and their loved ones. If they didn't you would have some serious issues. It isn't unlawful for anyone to request reasonable care. The hospital gave the patient the reasonable care requested.
"The patient has the right to expect that, within its capacity and policies, a hospital will make reasonable response to a patient's request for appropriate and medically indicated care and services"

If the hospital didn't honor the patients request than the patient has a right to sue the hospital.
Discrimination comes in all forms against all people at some point in time. To openly say one case is ok over another is pure hypocrisy in our society.
Yeah, but is demanding that a caregiver be a certain race fall under "appropriate and medically indicated care and services"? Because it seems to me that it seriously does not matter what race a caretaker is. If that person is capable of taking care of the needs of the patient, the guardian/parent can go suck eggs with their requests and who gives a hoot.

And is a patient/guardian requesting a caregiver be of a certain race/have or not have certain tattoos/ be or not be male or female, gay or straight, fat or thin, smoker or not....etc: does this person actualluy have the right to make such demands?

How about if they have no insurance? Would the scenario change in your mind if the parties involved were on welfare and the cost of caring for their baby (along with the white-only nurse demands from papa) were all going to be covered by taxpayer dollars?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post

I totally disagree. Yes, patients have a right to "reasonable services." But I can't imagine people free of prejudice assuming that "reasonable" means acquiescing to a demand that only medical personnel with a certain skin tone touch a patient. That's UNreasonable in my book. Speaking of color, is it also reasonable when patients refuse orange jello and demand that the hospital make them lime instead?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You didn't explain the post I questioned, first of all. I'm still confused by what you meant by that.

Race does not have to be a factor at all. My question is along the lines of what is legal in the work-place, and whether there are real grounds for a lawsuit. The race of the parties involved is tangential; it could be gender or smoking preference or weight or sexual preference or whether the nurse wore perfume/aftershave or whether the nurse drives a Toyota or a Chevy.
Race is a factor here because it's a protected class which makes different treatment of an employee due to her race illegal. If the discrimination was due to smoking or what car she drives it would be perfectly legal.

Quote:
The essential question, I guess, is then: did this employer have the right to honor the parent's (frivolous) request at the expense of their employees' integrity?
This has nothing to do with the nurse's integrity, and no, they don't have a right to honor the parents' request if that request is to discriminate against someone due to race, gender, age over 40, national origin, religion or disability. This is not a moral issue at all. It's a legal one since the hospital broke the law.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Race is a factor here because it's a protected class which makes different treatment of an employee due to her race illegal. If the discrimination was due to smoking or what car she drives it would be perfectly legal.

This has nothing to do with the nurse's integrity, and no, they don't have a right to honor the parents' request if that request is to discriminate against someone due to race, gender, age over 40, national origin, religion or disability. This is not a moral issue at all. It's a legal one since the hospital broke the law.
What law did they break?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I wish the hospital had the balls to stand up for their staff

Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Ok,here is my take on it as a nurse.

She has no lawsuit. I'm trying to figure out,how did she know?
Maybe the nurse manager should have kept it quiet. The nurse would have no right to ask why she was moved.
I don't see how the request is unreasonable. It hurts,but you move on.
I have had parents reject me because I'm quiet,overweight,don't speak Spanish,etc.

I still think she has no right to a lawsuit.
Its their child,and even if it is unreasonable,its fair.

How is this different when a nurse managers only puts spanish speaking nurses with spanish speaking pts?
I wonder if I can sue for language discrimination?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ok,here is my take on it as a nurse.

She has no lawsuit. I'm trying to figure out,how did she know?
Maybe the nurse manager should have kept it quiet. The nurse would have no right to ask why she was moved.
I don't see how the request is unreasonable. It hurts,but you move on.
I have had parents reject me because I'm quiet,overweight,don't speak Spanish,etc.

I still think she has no right to a lawsuit.
Its their child,and even if it is unreasonable,its fair.

How is this different when a nurse managers only puts spanish speaking nurses with spanish speaking pts?
I wonder if I can sue for language discrimination?
It was in the patient's chart and a note was placed at the nurses' station stating that per the request of the baby's parents no African American nurses were to touch the child.

The head nurse/nurse supervisor never should have agreed to something so ridiculous. What if there was an emergency and only African American nurses were available to address it. If something happened to the child because the African American nurses could not touch the White baby then the White parents could sue the hospital.

Its sad that you claim to be a nurse and yet can not see the problems with the request. If these parents wanted only White staff to handle their child then they should have given birth at a hospital that is in an area that is predominantly White thereby reduced the possibility of having Black nursing staff.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I feel sorry for the baby. Poor kid has to grow up with bigot parents.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The hospital should have put only African-Americans on duty and let the baby starve to death.

Pretty moronic post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates