Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times

Advertisements

Proposed Legislation Would Allow Arizona To Ignore Federal Laws : The Two-Way : NPR

I believe the above proposal was prompted (at least in part) by the assault weapons controversy. If such a ban ever was enacted into law, it would probably be ignored by a significant percentage of assault rifle owners in Arizona - for better or worse. Similar laws are being considered in other states as well.

I think the firearms issue has solidly polarized a good portion of the country. It's unfortunate to see this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,239 times
When it does happen it usually results in the federal government cutting off some federal funds to the state that doesn't follow the feds directive.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
The legalization of marijuana is another example.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
What a state can do has nothing to do with the federal government.
'Technically' states cannot go against federal law, but they do.
As mentioned, marijuana is a prime example.
I think some laws are good for all and should be followed, such as minimum wage.
But each state has it's own dynamics, culture and needs. Therefor there should be some give and take between the states and the FG.

As for the gun issue. I just want to pull my hair out. The pro-gunners feel like their constitutional right is being infringed upon, and the anti-gunners have no clue about life outside a major city.
I side with people who live in remote locations and their desire to own a high powered firearm. While I lived only 1 mile from a freeway, my closest neighbors were all a 5 minute drive and I have had bears and mountain lions in my yard. The mountain lion came right up to my bedroom window. In situations like this, such a gun could be a useful tool. But I really see no reason why the average person needs an automatic weapon. What are they going to use it for? What ever protection a person needs can be had with a more simple firearm.

Another big issue I have is that the only time that there is ever a big push for gun law reform when ever a white person goes on a slaughtering spree.
No one says anything when an Asian flips out, no one pays any attention to the violence between the black and Mexican gangs.

And if we outlaw them, people who want them will find a way to get them.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,350 times
They can, State nullification.

You too have the power to nullify any law you deem unreasonable. It comes from the right to a trial by jury, jury nullification.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
I find it interesting that Arizona wants the original 1789 meaning the constitution without any consideration of all case law and precedent that came after.

Arizona was admitted into the Union in 1912. Maybe we should erase all American history form 1789 to 1912...

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I find it interesting that Arizona wants the original 1789 meaning the constitution without any consideration of all case law and precedent that came after.

Arizona was admitted into the Union in 1912. Maybe we should erase all American history form 1789 to 1912...
Let's just annex Arizona to New Mexico. That ought to keep them busy for awhile.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Proposed Legislation Would Allow Arizona To Ignore Federal Laws : The Two-Way : NPR

I believe the above proposal was prompted (at least in part) by the assault weapons controversy. If such a ban ever was enacted into law, it would probably be ignored by a significant percentage of assault rifle owners in Arizona - for better or worse. Similar laws are being considered in other states as well.

I think the firearms issue has solidly polarized a good portion of the country. It's unfortunate to see this happen.
Arizona The new Confederate States of America. Or should I say the new Confederate State of America.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
It all depends on the will of the federal government to enforce the federal law no matter what the state law may be. Just think about what happened in Arizona regarding school desegration. Arizona asid, "No way" the government of the USA said you have no choice to obey this law and we will see that you do. In the end they sent in the army to enforce the "Federal" law. The only thing a State can do is challenge the law through the courts. This is often done and the SCOTUS makes the final decision.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Let's just annex Arizona to New Mexico. That ought to keep them busy for awhile.
Better yet give Arizona back to Mexico or even better yet the Apaches and other Indians. Yeah, those anti Federal Arizonans sure cried for the Federal government when the Indians owned the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates