Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

They would do well to use the following instead of the old CDC fact sheet.

Cancer risk associated with simian virus 40 contaminated polio vaccine.

Quote:
BACKGROUND:

The presence of SV40 in monkey cell cultures used in the preparation of the polio vaccine from 1955 through 1961 is well documented. Investigations have consistently demonstrated the oncogenic behavior of SV40 in animal models. Early epidemiologic studies were inadequate in demonstrating an increase in cancer incidence associated with contaminated vaccine. Recently, investigators have provided persuasive evidence that SV40 is present in human ependymomas, choroid plexus tumors, bone tumors, and mesotheliomas, however, the etiologic role of the virus in tumorigenesis has not been established.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Using data from SEER, we analyzed the incidence of brain tumors, bone tumors, and mesotheliomas from 1973-1993 and the possible relationship of these tumors with the administration of the SV40 contaminated vaccine.
RESULTS:

Our analysis indicates increased rates of ependymomas (37%), osteogenic sarcomas (26%), other bone tumors (34%) and mesothelioma (90%) among those in the exposed as compared to the unexposed birth cohort.
CONCLUSIONS:

These data suggest that there may be an increased incidence of certain cancers among the 98 million persons exposed to contaminated polio vaccine in the U.S.; further investigations are clearly justified.
Cancer risk associated with simian vi... [Anticancer Res. 1999 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

It's still not an argument to put an end to medical science.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post

Agreed, but that is not what I said. People's perception of the pharmaceutical industry is at an all time high. We have had many recalls due to the perception of medications being unsafe with huge awards. Usually these awards happen because they did not disclose the true probability or representation of known life threatening side effects.

(I personally don't believe many of these meds should have been pulled. Just like vaccinations, the benefit must outweigh the risk). Some of these meds had a very high risk of deadly side effects, however, they may have been the only medication available for certain conditions. I know of two antibiotics that were pulled that were very effective against some highly resistant bacteria, but had the potential for life threatening side effects. These should still be available if a person contracts an infection where these meds are the only antibiotic still effective... but this could be a debate itself)
As an anecdote, I recently had a hard time finding a pharmacy that stocked my son's medication (risperidone); I don't know if it was a fluke, but a half dozen pharmacies in a 5 mile radius all only had none in stock, or just a few pills left. Maybe a day or two later, I got a frantic call from my in-laws how they saw reports of the drug causing massive weight gain and lactation in children, and it was a classic example of headline-driven hysteria. It took a good 30 minutes to help them understand that his dosage is low enough that he is not having such side effects; case in point he's been on it for 3 years and is still a little twig.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
As an anecdote, I recently had a hard time finding a pharmacy that stocked my son's medication (risperidone); I don't know if it was a fluke, but a half dozen pharmacies in a 5 mile radius all only had none in stock, or just a few pills left. Maybe a day or two later, I got a frantic call from my in-laws how they saw reports of the drug causing massive weight gain and lactation in children, and it was a classic example of headline-driven hysteria. It took a good 30 minutes to help them understand that his dosage is low enough that he is not having such side effects; case in point he's been on it for 3 years and is still a little twig.
A little information is often more dangerous than no information.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some vaccines like the flu vaccine and the chicken pox vaccine are not worth it for my kids, in my opinion. Other vaccines warrant much stronger consideration. I firmly believe that the choice to get vaccinated or not should lie with each individual family. I would never support measures to mandate vaccines without any way to opt out. People should always have the freedom to say no to medical interventions that they do not agree with, especially when the medical intervention is injected into their bodies. People own their bodies, not the government.
Please reconsider. If your children get chickenpox, they are at risk for shingles when they are older. The varicella virus goes dormant in the nervous systems and breaks out years later. You may as well tie them to a post and flay the skin off their back. It's a comparable level of pain. I had shingles when I was 40, and the pain was like being stung by wasps 24 hours a day for weeks. A chickenpox vaccine was not available when I was a child, but such agony is no longer required of us. You should consider it absolutely mandatory for any child who has not had chickenpox.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
"The parent who chooses not to vaccinate has not to vaccinate has not performed his duty to protect others". Law 101. You have no duty to protect ANYONE, but youself, unless you are a parent of a young child, LEO, or your profession requires it. Private citizens are under no duty to protect others.

Did you ever consider that those chicken pox parties are with CONSENTING parents? I guess they should all be thrown in jail and the children taken away from them, and vaccinated.

This Moderator cut: against forum guidelines , reminds me of a certain period of history back in the 30s and 40s. Children were taken away from parents to be raised by approved families who towed the goverment line. They were going to create the Perfect, Invincible Race and Society. Children, and the disabled, were experimented on for the "good of society". They were going to eliminate all disease and their brand of humans would rule the world.

Let's take away the unvaccinated children, throw their parents, and all other adults who refuse to "comply", into camps and let them rot and die there. Brand all the unvaccinated with their numbers. Make them wear skull and crossbones arm patches so the perfect people can stay away from them. All those diseased, inferior people. "We" are the PERFECT ones, who will never get sick. "We" will live forever.

Moderator cut: Please read forum guidelines
I think you were probably making a heavy handed attempt at satire, but there is no doubt that the anti-vaccine crowd kills children. In my state, some of those parents have gone to prison to reflect on their crimes.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Me? I choose to not go to doctors at all and haven't in 30 years. Vaccines are only part of it. When it's my time to go, I will die. At 65 years old, it could be tomorrow. I can accept that. I don't want to be "saved". My choice and nobody elses.
There's a good chance your suicide attempt will be successful. Good luck with that. I have no problem with people who refuse medical care for themselves, and if your teeth rot out because you refuse to go to a dentist, that's your choice.

Withholding medical care from children is criminal, and you could go to prison for that. They would probably force you to see a doctor and have medical treatment in the pen, so take care of the children.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:51 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Please reconsider. If your children get chickenpox, they are at risk for shingles when they are older. The varicella virus goes dormant in the nervous systems and breaks out years later. You may as well tie them to a post and flay the skin off their back. It's a comparable level of pain. I had shingles when I was 40, and the pain was like being stung by wasps 24 hours a day for weeks. A chickenpox vaccine was not available when I was a child, but such agony is no longer required of us. You should consider it absolutely mandatory for any child who has not had chickenpox.

Children who get the chicken pox vaccine are also at risk for shingles later on. The chicken pox vaccine offers temporary immunity while catching the actual chicken pox offers lifetime immunity. Both open up the a person up for the possibility of shingles later in life.

Prior to the advent of the chicken pox vaccine, almost everyone got the chicken pox as children, a small percentage got it as adults. 99% of kids who got chicken pox had no complications. Children having chicken pox served an important role in warding off shingles in the community. Post chicken pox, people's natural immunity would get asymptomatically "boosted" by coming into contact with children infected with chicken pox. This "boosting" of natural immunity to chickenpox helped protect people from getting shingles later in life. Now people have to rely on getting multiple vaccines for both chicken pox and shingles.

Chicken pox is becoming rarer and rarer so adults are no longer getting the boost to their immune systems from coming into contact with children recovering from chicken pox. Many speculate that we will see a rise in shingles cases due to this fact. I actually think the chicken pox vaccine has caused more harm then good and I wish people would rethink this.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Children who get the chicken pox vaccine are also at risk for shingles later on. The chicken pox vaccine offers temporary immunity while catching the actual chicken pox offers lifetime immunity. Both open up the a person up for the possibility of shingles later in life.

Prior to the advent of the chicken pox vaccine, almost everyone got the chicken pox as children, a small percentage got it as adults. 99% of kids who got chicken pox had no complications. Children having chicken pox served an important role in warding off shingles in the community. Post chicken pox, people's natural immunity would get asymptomatically "boosted" by coming into contact with children infected with chicken pox. This "boosting" of natural immunity to chickenpox helped protect people from getting shingles later in life. Now people have to rely on getting multiple vaccines for both chicken pox and shingles.

Chicken pox is becoming rarer and rarer so adults are no longer getting the boost to their immune systems from coming into contact with children recovering from chicken pox. Many speculate that we will see a rise in shingles cases due to this fact. I actually think the chicken pox vaccine has caused more harm then good and I wish people would rethink this.
The risk of getting shingles after vaccination is much lower than it is after having chickenpox disease. CDC - Varicella Vaccine - Vaccine Safety

Also, research has shown the vaccine is not responsible for an increase in shingles.
Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says

And while most kids with chickenpox have no complications, chickenpox is not complicaiton-free.
Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus) | University of Maryland Medical Center

Remember, "only" about 1%-2% of polio cases become paralytic. That can be a lot of people in a big epidemic.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The risk of getting shingles after vaccination is much lower than it is after having chickenpox disease. CDC - Varicella Vaccine - Vaccine Safety

Also, research has shown the vaccine is not responsible for an increase in shingles.
Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says
The study, which is nothing more then a review of the numbers of cases of shingles from 1992 to 2010 shows an 39% increase of shingles cases. The authors of this review says that the data "suggests" that the rise in incidence is unrelated to the chicken pox vaccine. They also say that they have no idea what is causing the rise. This is not definitive and there are still many questions that have gone unanswered.

There was a documented case of a 5 year old girl getting shingles as a result of the varicella vaccine: [Herpes zoster after varicella-zoster vaccination]. [Hautarzt. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Clearly more information is needed before anyone can say with any certainty that the varicella vaccine has nothing to do with he rise in shingles cases.

Quote:
And while most kids with chickenpox have no complications, chickenpox is not complicaiton-free.
Shingles and chickenpox (Varicella-zoster virus) | University of Maryland Medical Center

Remember, "only" about 1%-2% of polio cases become paralytic. That can be a lot of people in a big epidemic.
Complications from chicken pox are rare. I never said they did not exist. Just as complications from the varicella vaccine are rare, but not unheard of.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
The study, which is nothing more then a review of the numbers of cases of shingles from 1992 to 2010 shows an 39% increase of shingles cases. The authors of this review says that the data "suggests" that the rise in incidence is unrelated to the chicken pox vaccine. They also say that they have no idea what is causing the rise. This is not definitive and there are still many questions that have gone unanswered.
But they also note that the increase in shingles began before the vaccine program began, and there was no variation in rates of shingles in states with higher vaccine coverage levels.

[URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870667/"]An analysis in Alberta, CA[/URL] had the same findings, and [URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24099868"]another Alberta study[/URL] found that during their vaccination program, there was a decrease in rates of shingles in children under 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates