Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:16 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,669,806 times

Advertisements

WWIII will only happen when one of the major powers has or think it has a weapon that can take out another's military infrastructure in one fell swoop. There is always a lot of talk about how Russia or China will attack the US leading to WWIII. This won't happen because none of these countries have any reason to believe they can win a war against each other. The best they can hope for is a lot of destruction and potential stalemate. For WWII, Hitler believed he could realistically conquer Europe and Japan was convinced they could take out the US by attacking Pearl Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
There are two major things in place today that make another global conflict less likely.

1. The entire globe today is very connected and economically interdependent. That wasn't the case during the first half of the 20th century.

2. Nuclear weapons. The existence of nuclear weapons have, in their own way, prevented WWIII.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I'm not very concerned with ISIS, but I'm very concerned with Russia and Putin. If Putin were try to attack one of the NATO country's that once were part of the USSR this could trigger WWIII. Obama is much like Chamberlain weak and a knee jerk liberal. When Putin started causing problems with Ukraine right away Obama said were not sending any troops. Again with ISIS were not sending troops he is so concerned with liberals he quickly shows his hand. He should never say that he isn't sending ground troops even if he never intended to you want the enemy to think you might send troops.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The USA has been mired in Middle Eastern wars for years, even decades if you go back to Desert Storm. Israel is in a state of perpetual conflict with its neighbors for decades as well. Despite all this, Islamofascism and extremism just continue to grow and spread. Per the NYTimes today ISIS has established links with central African group(s) well outside of the middle east. Nato and the western European states are being increasingly drawn into the maelstrom as well.

50 years from now it's obvious to me that we will regard the present as the early stages of WWIII much like the geopolitical events of 1930's leaing directly into WWII.

Is there anybody that seriously doubts this interpretation? If so, why? Others may see some kind of WWIII as inevitable. What do you see as the outcomes or geopolitical realignments in 50 years (or a time period of your choosing)?
It would seem to me we've been fighting WW3 for quite some time. "World War" is a hot button word... kinda like "Depression" that is scary as hell to hear but doesn't have an officially agreed upon definition so it's easy to simply not use the word, even though it's an apt descriptor for current events.

Sure it's mostly a new and unconventional way of doing it, but I can't be the only one who thinks it's not a coincidence that Middle Eastern regimes (Taliban Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Egypt (almost) Syria not friendly to Western "guidance" have been dropping like flies since 2001, that it's been "open season" on Iranian nuclear scientists, leaders and anyone who yells "Allah Akbar!" in public, that Ukraine's democratic government was toppled under suspicious circumstances, that Russia directly took over part of Ukraine, that oil prices and the Ruble crashed almost overnight when Russia didn't back off, that all major world players have vastly increased military spending and that virtually all these events can be traced back to and/or Western (specifically American) manipulations.

That's a whole lot of countries... if that isn't a "world war" I'll eat my hat. What else do you need? A declaration of "total war?" A draft? the issue of ration cards? A huge war bonds campaign? Hollywood singers writing catchy songs about it?

No, we're already there and the "main event" (the wholesale slaughter and ultimate destruction of Middle Eastern Civilization and seizing of it's resources before Russia/China can get them) is already in-progress. Get ready for the Apocalyptic finale...

Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It would seem to me we've been fighting WW3 for quite some time. "World War" is a hot button word... kinda like "Depression" that is scary as hell to hear but doesn't have an officially agreed upon definition so it's easy to simply not use the word, even though it's an apt descriptor for current events.

Sure it's mostly a new and unconventional way of doing it, but I can't be the only one who thinks it's not a coincidence that Middle Eastern regimes (Taliban Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Egypt (almost) Syria not friendly to Western "guidance" have been dropping like flies since 2001, that it's been "open season" on Iranian nuclear scientists, leaders and anyone who yells "Allah Akbar!" in public, that Ukraine's democratic government was toppled under suspicious circumstances, that Russia directly took over part of Ukraine, that oil prices and the Ruble crashed almost overnight when Russia didn't back off, that all major world players have vastly increased military spending and that virtually all these events can be traced back to and/or Western (specifically American) manipulations.

That's a whole lot of countries... if that isn't a "world war" I'll eat my hat. What else do you need? A declaration of "total war?" A draft? the issue of ration cards? A huge war bonds campaign? Hollywood singers writing catchy songs about it?

No, we're already there and the "main event" (the wholesale slaughter and ultimate destruction of Middle Eastern Civilization and seizing of it's resources before Russia/China can get them) is already in-progress. Get ready for the Apocalyptic finale...
Exactly, you obviously get what most of the other respondents do not. Many apparently cling to the obsolete view of a "world war" as declared war between alignments of nation states at war with each other. You nicely described the new paradigm, which still entails massive loss of life and destruction arrayed over very large areas, fought by proxies for larger powers. To the doubters: read Orwell's 1984. It's happening now, and history written in 50 years will certainly describe it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates