Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

the op should take a turn waiting tables for 6 months.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 PM

393 posts, read 306,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the OP came back and ranted on about how a server was spending so much time with customers at another table and all she wanted was an extra fork.
Why would I need an extra fork unless I dropped mine? When something like that is my fault, I just get up to the hostess's stand to get my own, no big deal. I don't bother my server with a problem *I* caused myself.

Let's just say there was a fork that was dirty or missing, still I can just get up to get that, it's not a big deal. If they aren't busy, then I will ask them, but for something like that, it's just faster if I get it myself.

Let's just say for your argument sake I would wait for the fork, I don't mind waiting my turn because what's fair is fair and what isn't, isn't, meaning I know if I was at that other table, I'd be pissed seeing my server getting my fork, so that's why I wouldn't mind if I had a wait, because it's NOT MY TURN YET. I mind when it is my turn and they disrespect it by cutting.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Wow....wow....wow....

OP, do you EVER treat your servers well? Do you talk to them like the human beings they are? Do you ask them how their day is going?

Or do you treat them like your personal servant and slave?

I went to dinner at a local restaurant last night. We asked the hostess how she was and how her night was going so far. When the server came, we recognized him from previous visits, and we remembered a detail about his family that he had told us several month ago. So we asked him how his family was doing. We were polite and showed an interest in him as a human being, not simply as someone bringing us food.

The result? An extra salad. A sampling of a new soup the chef was experimenting with (delicious!). A free dessert to split. All because WE treated him as a HUMAN BEING, not a slave or servant. Will we be back? Heck yes!

You get what you give.

If I was the owner or manager of a restaurant and I witnessed you treating on of my employees like you purport to on this thread, I was politely but firmly ask you to not return. Your few dollars of profit to me would not be worth the mistreatment of my staff.

I am curious....do you often dine out with others who witness your atrocious behavior?

Stay home...cook your own food.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Spring, your check doesn't stay with the server, it has to be read by the chef or someone who expedites orders.
First of all, the actual check is in the computer that can be printed out at ANY TIME.

Second of all, if they "WROTE DOWN MY ORDER", they have a SECOND copy of it, because the other copy is when they put the order into the computer so the kitchen staff has the 1st copy.

I am not sure WHY are you mentioning this? My original post was about request in general like boxes, bags, containers for the condiments, to-go cokes, etc.

Quote:
A kitchen is hectic enough without trying to wade through an exhaustive list of all your wants and desires
Who said the job was easy? Who said it wasn't going to be A LOT OF WORK? WHY would they want a good tip if they aren't willing to do the **WORK*** for it? Do these servers expect a good tip if they aren't willing to do the work for it?

Quote:
Servers, need to tell bartenders what you want now, not what you want later,
No, the servers put in the orders into the computer. The servers do some garnishing at times like when I have sat at some bars in some chain restaurants, the SERVERS put on the limes on the margarita glasses for example.

Quote:
Get a job in a restaurant and you'll get it.
I don't need to, to get it. I am not sure you know I worked in a donut shop/diner back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth altogether. So I have some knowledge of at least SOME stuff that goes on in a kitchen, just on a smaller level.

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
You probably don't order modified orders and you probably don't count off the things I count off for that's bad service like giving us the check without offering dessert is points off the tip because it rushes us and is controlling our tip money.

If your server forgets an item, you may not care, while *I* DO.

So your opinion is not valid if you aren't counting off for problems. I am counting each thing that goes wrong in most cases. I also count if I don't get an apology how much less tip they will get because they are mean. I also count when they blame the kitchen staff or manager for something that was THEIR FAULT.

I am not a horrible restaurant patron. I am a GOOD PERSON that wants my server to *********WORK*********** for their tip. EARN THEIR PAY like everyone else has to do in this world when they go to work.
You are a horrible patron....you could be a saint and are still horrible. I don't care how loud you scream it. You've got issues.

Going out should be fun...I do have high standards...I've been a bartender and server...I know good service....and I always get it.

I don't type out lists of demands (good gods...do your realize that everyone from the manager to the busboy is laughing at that?) and I don't keep a checklist of minutia just to stiff a server. If they aren't offering you dessert it's probably because they want to get you out the door. You excpect things like free pop and sides...and you probably get the most of them time becuase they just are trying to shut you up and get you out the door.

You are your own worst enemy for getting decent service.. ..and all you do is one online to complain and be to
do time and time again it's your own freaking fault.

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Why do you go out to eat?
Why is it your place to ensure that your server "works"?
Are you their actual boss?
Do you sign their payroll checks?
Do you seriously believe they are mind readers?
Do you think what you want and what you think is proper is part of their training?

Seriously, open a restaurant and train servers to do as you think they should do or go and be a server and see how easy it is to have customers that are so needy and demanding.

FYI, those "free" items you get from the owner are not "free", you and everyone else pays for them in some fashion or another, whether you use them or not.

The servers who wait on you and numerous other customers like you throughout their shift do "WORK" and trust me they earn beyond their pay and what little they get in tips from customers like you.

If you consistently have issues like this in all types of restaurants, I would strongly suggest you look in the mirror because the way you have written everything here and how you have responded, you ARE a "horrible" restaurant patron.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
If the OP gets a job in a restaurant, we should all go there and make all the same demands he thinks are so reasonable.
I wouldn't have ANY problem doing them since I am not a lazy worker.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I wouldn't have ANY problem doing them since I am not a lazy worker.
.ol....you couldn't handle a busy section and your coworkers would hate you (do you hold down a job that you deal with other people btw? . You are too ridged, humorless and obviously can't go with the flow. You couldn't make it past training shifts.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You are a horrible patron....you could be a saint and are still horrible. I don't care how loud you scream it. You've got issues.

Going out should be fun...I do have high standards...I've been a bartender and server...I know good service....and I always get it.

I don't type out lists of demands (good gods...do your realize that everyone from the manager to the busboy is laughing at that?) and I don't keep a checklist of minutia just to stiff a server. If they aren't offering you dessert it's probably because they want to get you out the door. You excpect things like free pop and sides...and you probably get the most of them time becuase they just are trying to shut you up and get you out the door.

You are your own worst enemy for getting decent service.. ..and all you do is one online to complain and be to
do time and time again it's your own freaking fault.
ScarletG - Tried to rep you again, but I gotta spread it around.

OP, read and re-read the bolded and underlined.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they saw your typed up list of requests and said, "*^%& that! We'll mess up her order on purpose and hope she never returns."

I am certain the staff cringes when they see you walk through the door. No one wants to serve your table because you are impossible to please.

They are probably all hoping that if they "mess up" enough things with you, that they will never see you again.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm sure if you ever were a server you would know that your method is highly inefficient. The best servers know that each time they go to the kitchen or drink area they should be gathering items for multiple tables--NOT one at a time. Each time they are on the floor they should be delivering items to multiple tables or checking on multiple tables. It's called efficiency. You are not considering the amount of time that would be wasted walking back and forth to get each individual table what it needs.

I am considering it, that's why it takes LONGER for the 1st tables to get what they asked for to do it your way. It ONLY HELPS the LAST TABLE get theirs faster and the 2nd table gets theirs a little quicker so the FIRST TABLE GETS TO BE PUNISHED WITH THEIR TIME THE LONGEST. HOW IS THAT FAIR OR MORALLY RIGHT, HUH? It's not. IT'S CUTTING!

It's not efficient when it's YOUR TABLE that was first. An example, Table 2 asks for 2 refills, as you pass by Table 3 calls you over to get 4 refills. So your method you'd make Table 2 wait for you to fill 4 OTHER EXTRA DRINKS that Table 2 didn't order and if you actually serve Table 3 their drinks first, you just delayed Table 2's drinks EVEN MORE SO.

You don't get it's not more efficient to that first table. It's giving UNFAIR FASTER SERVICE to the 2nd table.

If I were the server, I'd get Table 2's refills and bring them, THEN go back to get table 3's drinks and then deliver them. It's only fair to make people wait their turn and not do CUTTING. My method, Table 2 got their drinks in a REASONABLE amount of time as their turn was supposed to be in. Table 3 had a little extra wait, but only fair since their turn was last.

You aren't a fair person. If I wanted someone to tip me fairly, I'd have to be fair to them, DUH.

Quote:
And "cutting" on tables at a sit down restaurant? I've never heard of such a thing out of the mouth of an adult.

Let's say we have the same server(your table of 4, my table of 2. Your table of 4 is in the middle of ordering like let's say you are the 2nd person to order your food. In the middle of you talking, I go up to OUR SERVER tap them on the shoulder to ask for 2 refills. Instead of our server telling me to "wait my turn", she says to you all "I'll be right back, this lady needs me to get her 2 refills for her table." So our server goes to fix 2 refills for our table and brings it to us, THEN she goes back to finish taking the rest of your orders. DO YOU NOT SEE THIS AS THAT THE SERVER AND I JUST CUT IN FRONT OF YOUR PARTY'S TURN, HUH?

If you don't, tell me why? I mean you were in the middle of giving your order, so how can you not call what is in my example cutting, huh? In this example, I wouldn't and couldn't FATHOM DOING since it's cutting, but this is to make a huge point that WE ALL HAVE TURNS. IT IS CUTTING. THERE ARE CUTS IN RESTAURANTS.

The server cut, because she could have said "I will get your refills after I finish taking their orders"(which honestly, the server should put in the orders too before going to get the refills.)

There's cutting that happens all the time in restaurants. Table 3 you are at, you say you want your check, you see your server visit 3 other tables, which some of them need something items, then you see your server give them some boxes and their checks, but yours is nowhere to be found. Finally after your server serves the other customers, they put YOURS LAST EVEN THOUGH you were first.

YOU CAN'T SEE HOW IT'S CUTTING?

A good example that happened a number of years ago. We asked of our check, which they have 2 computer terminals in each side of the row of the circle booths we were at. There was at least for sure one computer free with no one at it. Our waiter goes to a table far away asks them if they need anything. He actually had the GALL to get them their box BEFORE our check when we asked for what we asked for FIRST. Needless to say his tip was like 7%. He wants to disrespect our turn to PURPOSELY CUT, F' SERVERS LIKE THAT. THEY CAN GO TO HELL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates