Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
This poster has been on a couple of other message boards I've been on and it is always the same thing about restaurants and ranch dressing. She will never be convinced she is in the wrong.
I am not in the wrong. HOW am I in the wrong when I am trying to not make them have bunches of extra trips, huh?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
WHY? Drink refills at fast food restaurants you can get to take home with you I am pretty sure wherever up north you are talking about, so why a dine-in restaurant should get any differently treated?

Also, if a to-go customer gets to get a coke in a to-go cup, I don't see how there's any difference in that than the customer that dines inside. Also, there's no difference in one styrofoam box for a to-go order vs. a dine-in customer's box.

NO, if the restaurant gives it for free, the customer should be able to have what they want(of course within reason like not 20 or something, but 2 or 3 yes.
If it's not a standard in the area...you just don't do it. It's called having manners and being aware of cultural differences. You are self righteous, self centered and clueless.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
So if the table before you is a party of ten with separate checks, you have no problem waiting for them to be done then?
I don't, because it's not our turn and I can *SEE*what is going on, I am not blind or stupid. If they asked for their 10 checks separately first, then we will just have to wait our turn.

What if that was our table with the separate checks, I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate being delayed for our server to cut in front of our turn, so I am OK even when it's the opposite situation, because that's life sometimes like you can be behind someone at Wendy's that has 4 combo and you only want a coke. I was behind someone at Wendy's a couple of months ago that ordered like 10 sandwiches of this, 5 sandwiches of that, and some other stuff. I had to stand behind them when I only had 1 combo to order. So yeah, sometimes you have to wait longer even if your turn was shorter, that's only fair. The lady that ordered all of those sandwiches, my turn shouldn't have delayed her turn. It's only fair. I waited A LOT LONGER than I usually would have to order. While it sucked, it was fair.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If it's not a standard in the area...you just don't do it. It's called having manners and being aware of cultural differences. You are self righteous, self centered and clueless.
Manners would be to want a good tip to do every little whim for that tip to please the customer, because without customers YOU HAVE NO JOB, YOU MAKE NO TIPS!

You are clueless to not understand you are PAYING for the refill in the tip.

How I am self-centered if I am paying EXTRA for these extra things I want to our servers, huh?

Who cares about cultural differences in the USA? I don't care.

Manners would be to be as nice as you can to the customer so they can be nice to you giving you a nice tip if you were a server.

I don't care where I would go, I'd ask for a refill to-go. You can get a refill at McDonald's after you are finished eating , why not EVERYWHERE ELSE?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always offered to go cups at lunch, as I figure most people are heading back to work or out running errands. For some reason, I always found to go cups after dinner to be slightly tacky.
Who cares if someone feels it's tacky or not? I mean I care about getting the MOST for my money. You care more about what people think of you. I don't get that at all. To me, WHO CARES what they think of me with my to-go cup, seriously?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Few things irritate me more than servers who feel entitled to a tip just for showing up.
A lot of servers out there think it's to stand there and look pretty, 20% automatically. For real, that's how most servers act.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
OP, it sounds like you are one of these people.
NO, because what you have described is LITERALLY ******THEFT***********. I am not stealing. The restaurant is WILLINGLY GIVING THINGS TO ME WITHOUT CHARGING. I am "ORDERING" the items from my server and not being charged on purpose due to that the restaurant managers or owners don't want to charge for that stuff.

That's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE SAME AND YOU KNOW IT as someone TAKING things.

Did I *EVER* say I TOOK something without asking? You don't know how to read, do you?

Quote:
But then here you come asking for food to go, with all the condiments, in little individual cups with tops, inside a styrofoam to-go container, in a plastic bag. Thats at least a couple of dollars worth of containers, plus the extra cost for a styrofoam cup (you already used a glass at the table), a lid, a straw, and the drink to go in it.
The to-go customer gets all of that, so what's your point? Also, if the owners don't want to charge for that, it's their option. Also, I have heard of some restaurants that WILL charge for to-go differently than if you get it inside for the container's cost. A Chinese restaurant we have in our area does just that. They have one "TO-GO" menu that has different pricing than the dine-in menu.

Quote:
No wonder you don't get good service.
I don't get good service at times due to the servers being lazy and uncaring on the job. You know that's the GOD'S TRUTH, just be honest here.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
A lot of servers out there think it's to stand there and look pretty, 20% automatically. For real, that's how most servers act.
BS....I can count on one hand the number of times we've gotten bad service in 30 years...if that's all you get...once again.....it's you. You are a horrible restaurant patron and everything you post backs that up.

You have two options...never go into a restaurant (or store) again (I recommend online ordering)...or get professional help.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
The server acts like they're in a hurry because they are in a hurry. While your rattling off a list of 10 things that you need, food may be sitting in the window getting cold, they may have salads or desserts that need to be prepared, they may have other customers waiting on drinks or a million other things that need to be done.

Serving is like a balancing act and if one table tries to monopolize all of your time it can throw everything off.
At times, we have had servers do this that it wasn't busy and they aren't in a hurry.

Also, if you act like your other tables are only important, then you are not giving good service to that table.

It's so much faster if they would come prepared with their pad and pen in hand READY to write down an abbreviated list of things.

1. BA
2. BO
3. CH
4. TGCO

bag, box, check, and a to-go coke

You wouldn't even have to write the numbers, just those 4 things.

Food may be sitting in the window, but you do realize a lot of restaurants have either food runners or other servers running each other's food, right?

Same thing even with bar drinks. We have had other servers deliver bar drinks to our table before as well if our server was busy.

The one thing I do that saves the server time is if we need more time, we TELL our server we aren't ready to order yet. I don't make my server stand and not order. I may ask a question before I am 100% for sure, but I already know if the answer is not as expected what I want and if I am not sure, I tell them I need more time.

Those customers waiting on drinks, that's why you should be going in order assuming that I didn't call you over of course. If table 4 just asked for 3 refills, why are you at my table if I didn't call you over if you aren't bringing me an item we asked for? You should be getting their refills.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
BS....I can count on one hand the number of times we've gotten bad service in 30 years...if that's all you get...once again.....it's you. You are a horrible restaurant patron and everything you post backs that up.

You have two options...never go into a restaurant (or store) again (I recommend online ordering)...or get professional help.
You probably don't order modified orders and you probably don't count off the things I count off for that's bad service like giving us the check without offering dessert is points off the tip because it rushes us and is controlling our tip money.

If your server forgets an item, you may not care, while *I* DO.

So your opinion is not valid if you aren't counting off for problems. I am counting each thing that goes wrong in most cases. I also count if I don't get an apology how much less tip they will get because they are mean. I also count when they blame the kitchen staff or manager for something that was THEIR FAULT.

I am not a horrible restaurant patron. I am a GOOD PERSON that wants my server to *********WORK*********** for their tip. EARN THEIR PAY like everyone else has to do in this world when they go to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates