Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
So I gather that this is a theme with you, but I'll play along for a second, with a suggestion:

When your server comes by to check on you, say "Yes, actually I have a few things I'll be needing, and sometimes you busy servers tend to leave before I've finished with my list. So to make it easier on you I'm going to tell you everything I need now, and please just hear me out. You might want to write this down!" - followed with a pleasant smile.

You can probably find a much abbreviated way of saying all this, but you get the gist. In a friendly way, let them know that you will have a few needs you'll be listing. They'll appreciate not being "run", and you'll be happier as a customer. I know you feel that you shouldn't have to communicate this, but in a busy restaurant situation, sometimes just a little more clarity goes a long way. So just give them a heads up that you're about to give them 4-5 requests so that they can do it all in one trip.
Did you read the OP? I don't think this person could find an abbreviated way to say anything.
That's why servers tend to leave mid-sentence...

Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Restaurant Servers: When some servers come to the table, the customer is telling the server a list of things, for some weird reason they are ready to close their book and/or walk away BEFORE you have A CHANCE to say every single thing that you want to ask for.

I do this to get better service to ask for lots of things at once so I am not waiting a long time for every single thing. To not run my server so that way it's in one trip.

Also, most servers for some reason will not write down boxes, bags, check, to-go condiment containers, to-go soft drinks, etc. Then I have the server forgetting something usually, because they were too lazy to write things down.

The thing that bothers me the most is the not letting me FINISH my turn asking for all the items I want. I just had a waitress a few months ago, in the MIDDLE of me ordering close her book TWICE and then not write down the condiments only to forget 1 of them and not even apologize for it.

While I understand completely you servers have other customers, we should still get OUR TURN in 100% FULLNESS and it hurts you as well by having to make more trips.

I see all the time servers complain on the internet about "They ran me", NO, we aren't running you, you aren't staying put so we can tell you the entire list at ONCE so you can make ONE TRIP. For example, that waitress I talked about could have made one trip, but decided to make us(me and my husband) wait several minutes after having the box, bag, container for my ranch, bag, and to-go soft drink to bring the check. She could have brought that in her apron pocket made ONE trip.

So my question is WHY walk away so I can't say everything I need? I am STILL going to ask for the items NO MATTER WHAT, so it's not going to help you to walk away quickly.

I understand servers have other customers, but HOW is it going to help you to walk away if I am going to need all of these items REGARDLESS? This is just really an annoying thing in restaurants it's like they want the tip, but don't want to actual WORK for it. It's a job you servers out there that do this. I should have a right to ask for a box, a container for my condiments, a bag, the check all at ONCE without you running away. You also should be writing those things down. I have had a NUMBER of servers over the years that just can't handle even just 3 or 4 things to remember and have to ask for it again.

I am doing this for me mostly to get faster service, but I am also trying as well not to run my server. I wouldn't want to see my server be ran. That's not a nice thing to do to someone, no matter what.

So my question is, WHY be in such a rush to leave when it's actually quicker if you stay an extra few seconds literally to see I am going to say "a bag, etc.?" I think it has to do with they don't want to write all of those things down, nor do they want to do all of those things.

A few months ago, I had to say "I'm not finished yet" to the server when I was ordering my food. The server should be repeating the order and asking "Is that all" to the customer to ensure correctness. I really think it honestly has to do with not wanting to do ANY WORK for the money. You can't be pissed a customer ran you if you don't give them a CHANCE to say everything they needed.To servers, do you see how you all are making your tip not be higher by aggravating the customer like this by being rude and making the customer wait A LOT LONGER for their items? I think some of these servers think "I was right, this person wasn't going to tip well", but they don't quite understand if they would have stayed put, they would have had a much higher tip. I am not going to tip someone well that is making me wait a lot longer, because they are too lazy to get their pad and pen to write my request down and that they don't care about wasting my time by wanting my request to take longer so I wait longer.

To servers, I am not sure when I am saying something, they are like already walking away? I am not being mean about it or anything. I am ask nicely about what I want, they just are like rushy and at times it's like it's not even busy and have had servers do this.

An example, they will offer "You need a box", then I will say "A box, a bag", then walk away BEFORE I can say "containers for my condiments, the check, and a coke to-go." That's a prime example of what happens or they will just go with "yes" for the bag question and leave.

Another example would be they come to the table I say "I would like a box, containers for the condiments", then leave when I had other things to ask for.

It's like are servers just too lazy to write down requests? WHY do you servers want to make 2 trips, because I am not going to let up and not ask? Why would you want to make more trips? Why rush off so quickly I can't ask for everything?

Another example, I may say "I would like a box and a bag", then the server gets that and the check when we wanted to order a dessert but had like NO CHANCE to even say that they just assumed we were full, not that we wanted dessert.

When ordering I may say I would like such-n-such with fries with no seasoning, then they close the book BEFORE I have a chance to say "I would like a side of ranch for the fries as well."

IT'S SO IRRITATING it's like they want the money, but DON'T WANT TO DO ALL THE WORK IT TAKES TO GET THE TIP. I don't understand? I am going to make the server make another trip or more than 2 trips if necessary, because I will get what the items I want for the tip we give. I have a right to be satisfied with the money we are paying just as anyone else.
Like I said to your last angry post: get some anger management therapy, and take a Xanax.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
This poster has been on a couple of other message boards I've been on and it is always the same thing about restaurants and ranch dressing. She will never be convinced she is in the wrong.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM

601 posts, read 459,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
?

Getting items for multiple tables makes things NOT faster, it's actually CUTTING for that 1st table that now waits A LOT LONGER for the items they asked for. That's not fair you CUTTER!

That's not fair to serve in that manner, because it's cutting in front of the 1st table's turn.

Then that means my turn takes LONGER. Do you not have any common sense?

NO, because I go by TURNS to be fair and I wouldn't make the 1st table wait longer for their items because I wanted to be too lazy to write down a list of items and do each table one at time. It's faster for the 1st table to get all of their items in one trip. That's common sense.
So if the table before you is a party of ten with separate checks, you have no problem waiting for them to be done then?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:14 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I was a waitress for quite a few years. Absolutely hated the customers who have a laundry list of requests, but in the OP's defense, at least she is willing to state them all at one time. Nothing worse than coming back with ketchup, and being asked for something else, then coming back with that, and there's another thing the patron needs. Ugh.

As far as being in a rush, multi-tasking doesn't even begin to describe a servers duties. The food for one table may be sitting under lights getting cold, while she is taking orders from you, delivering menus to another table, and dropping off beverages to another. In the meantime, one or two pain in the tails are requesting everything under the sun. Boxes for condiments...bags...WHY?

OP needs to walk a mile in a server's shoes to get a little empathy for the worker, and maybe it will stop her from being a demanding arse.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I never did until I moved to NC either...it really was the oddest thing when tbe server would just bring a to go cup filled with what ever we had been drinking. It was sort of nice to take back to the office after lunch though.
I always offered to go cups at lunch, as I figure most people are heading back to work or out running errands. For some reason, I always found to go cups after dinner to be slightly tacky.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always offered to go cups at lunch, as I figure most people are heading back to work or out running errands. For some reason, I always found to go cups after dinner to be slightly tacky.
What is the difference between lunch and dinner?

The only problem at dinner is that unless one is in New Orleans...the can't give you a to go cup of the adult beverage I am more likely to be drinking at dinner!!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
A server's tip is conditional on the service. If it's prompt, at least reasonably friendly, and the food is right, then it's good. If the food's messed up on account of the cook, then if the server fixes it, fine.

If the service sucks, and it's not the result of the server being overworked, such as they're just standing around, etc... I have little sympathy.

Few things irritate me more than servers who feel entitled to a tip just for showing up.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
A server's tip is conditional on the service. If it's prompt, at least reasonably friendly, and the food is right, then it's good. If the food's messed up on account of the cook, then if the server fixes it, fine.

If the service sucks, and it's not the result of the server being overworked, such as they're just standing around, etc... I have little sympathy.

Few things irritate me more than servers who feel entitled to a tip just for showing up.
There is nothing that says this server....or ANY of the many servers that ALWAYS give this poster bad service actually have done anything wrong.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is rude, lol! I once saw a lady ask for a to go bag at a buffet, she was angry when they said no...no common sense.
Some people have no shame about trying to get free stuff out of restaurants. We sat down at our favorite table in our favorite Mexican place once, and there was no salt shaker on the table. The waiter said people steal them all the time. Ditto for flatware. That's why some restaurants don't put sweetener packs on the tables....people pocket all of them. Once all the managers in our department took our secretaries out for Administrative Professionals Day to a nice buffet in a major downtown Atlanta hotel. I noticed my secretary doing something down in her purse, which was sitting on the floor between us...she had a gallon size zip loc bag in her purse, and was filling it up with ribs from the buffet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP, it sounds like you are one of these people. Maybe no one ever explained this to you...the prices on the menu are for the meal as served in the restaurant, which includes the price of buying the food, cooking it, washing all the dishes it is served on, paying the person who cooks it and the one who serves it. The price also includes the cost of operating the building including AC, lights, and a clean restroom stocked with free soap and TP. They even build in a little cost for people who want a take out container.

But then here you come asking for food to go, with all the condiments, in little individual cups with tops, inside a styrofoam to-go container, in a plastic bag. Thats at least a couple of dollars worth of containers, plus the extra cost for a styrofoam cup (you already used a glass at the table), a lid, a straw, and the drink to go in it.

No wonder you don't get good service. They would be saving money to ban you from the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates