Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Because some are easier to replace then others. Hard to replace = more value = $$. Want more money, become more valuable to your employer. 100 million people are looking for work, thousands crossing the border everyday. H1-B looking to take your job, for the same pay, you have now. We are all replaceable, so do what you can to make it harder to pull that trigger.
That's great advice, but frequently easier said than done. It's more complex than just 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps". There are little problems along the way to improving your skills- like money. If it's a single mom wanting to advance herself, do you have any idea what childcare costs? Not all poor people have computers or ready access to one, and it's pretty hard to do distance learning on a smartphone. A large number of the working poor don't have reliable transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Actually that's how capitalism works. Workers vote with their feet. The business has a job for a set amount of pay, If he has no takers for the job, He raises the amount of pay for the job or eliminates the position or closes his doors. That's what happens when you have a vibrant economy and business are fighting over workers. Unlike this pathetic one where we have 100 million able body workers with no jobs.
There is not gonna be no one not taking the job because a job is at least something and will provide some money. The employer has all the power because the employee can either take the job or not take it and risk not being able to find another job.If it does not happen they may have to go live with friend or family or even be homeless.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 08-24-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
The threshold to be a 1%er family is about $360,000 per year, which equates to approx. $180/hour. So let's just raise the minimum up to the $180/hour mark and we'll all be in the top 1%!
Of course, the reality is that we'd all be laid off...

Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's great advice, but frequently easier said than done. It's more complex than just 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps". There are little problems along the way to improving your skills- like money. If it's a single mom wanting to advance herself, do you have any idea what childcare costs? Not all poor people have computers or ready access to one, and it's pretty hard to do distance learning on a smartphone. A large number of the working poor don't have reliable transportation.
It never gets old; lots of people keep trotting out the same old lines about how some people have managed to make more of themselves and get ahead so obviously everyone can do it, right? No. The math just doesn't work; everyone can't be employed to use a high paying skill. There aren't enough jobs in total and a lot of them are unskilled labor. Lets pay people a decent wage to do them. Enough money to feed, clothe and house them and a dependent. Medical care would be nice and so would a little R&R from time to time. And we can afford to be nice. The problem is that too much of the wealth is in the hands of people who don't want to be nice and they are using it to control the government so they don't have to be nice.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Look at the dump McDonald's is taking, do you think people quit eating hamburgers all of a sudden, or could it be that people would rather spend their money at a place like in-n-out that pays and treats it's employees well?
People - including myself - quit eating at McDonald's because the quality of the product and portion sizes went down as the price went up. It has nothing to do with how they treat their employees.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Just like a business owner has an obligation to their families the employees have obligations to their families to make enough to provide for themselves and their families
The employee's obligation to his family does not transfer from himself to the employer.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
People - including myself - quit eating at McDonald's because the quality of the product and portion sizes went down as the price went up. It has nothing to do with how they treat their employees.
well...I'm a "people" too and part of my decision not to eat there, as well as not to shop at Walmart or any one of a number of other low paying retail or food service establishments was based on two things: quality of merchandise and service and what they pay, and how they treat their employees. I vote with my wallet.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The employee's obligation to his family does not transfer from himself to the employer.
Free market ideology goes right down the crapper when the employee's obligation to support his family transfers to the government because they are paid so little they are eligible for welfare. when that occurs, the employer needs to have some skin in the game. They need to pay enough that the employee is not eligible for welfare, or if an employer choose not to do so, they should be required to reimburse the Federal government disbursements to employees. A company that can't do that has a poor business model and doesn't deserve to stay in business.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Free market ideology goes right down the crapper when the employee's obligation to support his family transfers to the government because they are paid so little they are eligible for welfare. when that occurs, the employer needs to have some skin in the game. They need to pay enough that the employee is not eligible for welfare, or if an employer choose not to do so, they should be required to reimburse the Federal government disbursements to employees. A company that can't do that has a poor business model and doesn't deserve to stay in business.
Or the employee can do some career thinking and perhaps put off the "family part" till he can afford a family like most people.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
Quote:
And I have a right to refuse to spend my money at a business that is not socially responsible, and there are more and more people who are doing exactly that. Look at the dump McDonald's is taking, do you think people quit eating hamburgers all of a sudden, or could it be that people would rather spend their money at a place like in-n-out that pays and treats it's employees well?
I actually prefer to spend my money at places with competent employees. If places that pay more money have more competent employees...well, then that is who is getting my money.

I've actually noticed (perhaps in anticipation of the minimum wage hikes), that my local McDonald's has turned over most of the employees. Everything seems to run smoothly.

So that just points out....when fast food workers get $15/hr, the pool of people willing to work fast food increases, fast food places can be more selective with their employees, and the people on the bottom end of abilities no longer get paid $7/hr, they get paid $0/hr because they can't find a job since competition is too stiff.

Quote:
That too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates