Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In the last couple of years there have been state laws passed which have put more burden on doctors who preform abortion, and in some states the requirements are so high that clinics have closed down. Some states make the woman see an ultrasound of the fetus. Do you support Abortion being legal or not and why.
Yes, abortion should remain legal. Why? Because:

1. Causing someone to exist isn't a harm. Indeed, I likewise oppose forcing parents to pay child support for this very same reason.

2. An non-sentient embryo/fetus is no more of a person right now than I myself am a corpse right now. Indeed, potential certainly doesn't equal actuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, I do not support abortion being illegal. Why? Because women are going to have them whether they're legal or not, and it's better that they are safe, legal and affordable. Because if you don't believe in abortion and you believe it is murder, that's your right. No one is forcing you to have one, but your religious beliefs should not be forced on others. Because every child should be a child who is wanted. Because my mother nearly died from an illegal abortion in 1934, and if she hadn't survived it I wouldn't be here.
Do you shed any tears for the aspiring eunuchs who have seriously injured themselves in "back-alley" surgical castration attempts?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Every country that outlawed abortion has seen the illegal abortion rates skyrocket. And this means killed fetuses + dead / disabled mothers unless the woman is rich enough to travel to where the abortion is legal.

And there's absolutely no connection between forced pregnancy and respect for life. A woman who does not want a baby but is forced to bear it to term will not have any more respect for other people, and neither will her baby when he/she grows up.

I agree that late term abortions should be made illegal unless there's health concern, but this again will likely only be window dressing of a bigger problem.
Not all women who want to get abortions will actually get abortions if abortion will be made illegal, though.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Abortions have been around since the beginning of time. Whether it is legal or not, abortions WILL be preformed. Prior to Roe v. Wade, women would go to butchers in back alleys to get one done. If I had a daughter who wanted to have one, I would rather her go to a qualified doctor who knows what he/she is doing than some idiot trying to make a buck because she can't get an abortion any place else.

I know many people say that a fetus is a human life. At the time when abortions are preformed, a fetus is basically a parasite. It can not live without the mother-and therefore, not really a human being at that point. I know many people will argue with me on that-and that is your right to believe it or not.

I also love how many people (not all) who oppose abortions also oppose big government (read the Republican Party). They want to keep government small enough so it fits in a woman's uterus. I also love these representatives who will deny access to abortions for other women but wanted their mistresses to have one (Rep. Scott DesJarlais a Republican from Tennessee).

Another thing about many (again not all) pro-lifers, is once a baby is born, they could care less about it. A mother has to struggle to provide health care, food, shelter, etc. They only seem to care about children when they are in the womb and that is it.

This is about a woman's choice. I don't want anyone in Washington tell me what I can do or can't do with my own body. The decision should be between the woman, her family, & her doctor-no one else. No one else has the right to dictate what a woman can & can't do.

If you don't like abortion, then DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!

Cat
Do you shed any tears for the aspiring eunuchs who have seriously injured themselves in "back-alley" surgical castration attempts?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Yes, let's make abortion illegal or let's force women to jump through hoops designed to string them along til the pregnancy is too far advanced to abort. And then we can go back to quacks with coat hangers and herbs. Because the sanctity of life is restricted to the fetus and if the evil **** who couldn't keep her legs closed dies, well, that'll teach her!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Yes, because women, especially poor women go around begging men to impregnate them .

Maybe if those baby daddies stuck around, they wouldn't need to "take money from your pocket." The men say they'll be there, but a lot of them end up leaving, so now the woman is stuck alone with a child to feed. Maybe we should just let them all starve!
Why exactly should men be forced to pay child support to children whom they never wanted, though?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There was a thread about that on C-D a while back. A fair amount of people said that would not have chosen to be born.
Link or it didn't happen.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
1. Would you yourself consider adopting one? Or two or three? Or leave it all up to theoretical saviors?
Well, what about you? Would you yourself consider adoption one or two or three babies?

Quote:
2. There are ALREADY thousands of unwanted babies and children waiting to get adopted... and there seems to not be enough adoptive parents to go around
So, why not legalize painless elective infanticide? After all, if human infants are no more intelligent than adult pigs are, why exactly should human infants have more rights than adult pigs have?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
<-- This
It always was, is and will be done. The question is - how.
When women had no access to doctors, or abortions were banned, it was done with all kinds of horrid ways, oftentimes resulting in death of the mother, who likely had other children who are now left orphans and their own lives/well being is likely in jeopardy.

It also most definitely leads to more abandoned unwanted babies, higher rates of infanticide...
And, if you were to ask me (as a theoretical baby), I would much rather prefer to be aborted as a tiny few-celled embrio, than killed as a full-term baby/toddler or (worse - for me) to be abandoned and live in some horried situation. But that's just me.

Exactly!
By that logic, though, why not legalize painless elective infanticide? After all, couldn't legalizing this result in less older children being abused and killed?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I'm old enough to remember life before Roe v. Wade.

No one wants a wire coat hanger in their uterus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates