Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 12:28 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times

Advertisements

The solution is simple. Cops should stop enforcing abusive and unconstitutional gun laws that persecute peaceful gun owners and guarantee that thugs, the unhinged and thugs with badges have guns. If the good guys were armed then they would have a means to defend themselves in attempted mass shooting incidents. Nearly all mass shootings have occurred in gun free zones, military bases, cities or states.

Second, end the police state. Instead of cops harassing, abusing, assaulting, murdering, raping and stalking people who don't wear a seat belt, sell big sodas, exercise free speech, have whatever pills or plants they have, or check the wrong box on a government form, cops should be standing guard against real crime (rape, murder, assault, vandalism, criminal trespassing, theft). Instead of breaking down doors because someone has a pill or plant, they should be on every street corner deterring real crime and able to respond to them quicker in a calm deescalating manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Someone sent me a rep saying that my statement about convicted felons being able to legally access guns was false. It's not false. There are many ways for a convicted felon to legally obtain guns depending on the state in which they reside.

If you think any of these people should have the right to a gun, YOU probably shouldn't own a gun.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/11/14...?referer=&_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-to-get-a-gun/

Here is how the NRA is working to arm criminals.

VPC - Guns for Felons—How the NRA Works to Rearm Criminals

Private sellers are the biggest problem! A few states require the seller to go to a dealer and run a check, but most don't. If I wanted to, I could go on Craigslist right now, type in "gun" and have one by the end of the day, no questions asked. There are also some states, like Texas, that don't require even dealers to do a background check. All you need is a state ID and some money.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

I find it interesting that so many gun advocates are unfamiliar with these laws in which they claim to support . That is probably by design.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
From its inception in 1993 until it was abolished in 2012, Canada's long gun registry did not help to solve a single crime. It did however, waste $2 billion in government funds that could have been used to pay for any number or methods to effectively reduce crime - like hiring more police officers, for example.
The long gun registry was introduced in 1995. Your take that it does't solve crimes is a limited view on why a registry was wanted, and how it was used.

This article gives another viewpoint, from a law enforcement viewpoint.

How police use the gun registry - Macleans.ca

Old 12-05-2015, 02:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Here is how the NRA makes money and why they fight to prevent any type of gun legislation (hint, because they make too much money).

This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - Business Insider

They are a huge part of the problem.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
My take.

Gun control laws, as far as Canada goes, and I'm assuming other countries, are national. No patchwork of different laws when a state with stricter gun laws is at the mercy of a state next door with lax ones. No one checks you as you leave Texas for California for example. ( they do a produce check at the California border )

The notion that the second amendment is something sacred that can't be touched. Reality is that it has been, gun control laws wouldn't exist if it were. If people didn't keep reinterpreting and adjusting what " arms " actually are, you would only be allowed to carry muskets in a militia.

Criminals get guns. True, but it's more difficult for them in other countries. Pointing to the horrible events in Paris, doesn't mean gun control laws don't work. No truly free society can prevent things like this from happening. The difference is that in these other countries, the amount of gun violence is much less, gun deaths much less and accidental shootings much less.
A criminal robbing someone in Canada, UK etc, is most likely not going to have a gun, or expect the person robbed of having one.
They are not going to find when robbing a home, a handgun in the home in which to steal.
Simple math says the less guns there are, the less gun deaths. The numbers prove this.

Is it too late for the US?

Even the biggest turn around in gun laws in the US it is too late. At least for the next couple of generations. It will take years before this problem can be solved.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Let's assumed all firearms are banned, that the entire country is a gun free zone. There are an estimated 270 million firearms in circulation right now. How do the gun control advocates propose to take the guns away from criminals or other bad people who would not be inclined to turn them in voluntarily?

Old 12-05-2015, 04:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
If I wanted to, I could go on Craigslist right now, type in "gun" and have one by the end of the day, no questions asked.
I don't know your specific area but looking over the Phoenix listings I've found one vintage Daisy BB gun, a few airsoft guns and some paintball guns in the first 100 listings.

The no gun policy is Craiglist's and that is policed by an automatic filtering system and other people using the site. They are under no legal obligation to do that. This is not something you can stop, CL a few years back stopped allowing prostitutes from posting. Another site popped up to fill that niche. If you were to make it illegal a site will simply move to overseas server further outside of the reach of US law enforcement. That's just reality.

Here is another modern technological reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-05-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 04:39 PM

79 posts, read 111,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Is it too late for the US?

Even the biggest turn around in gun laws in the US it is too late. At least for the next couple of generations. It will take years before this problem can be solved.
And if the Liberals do manage to "fix" all of their perceived problems Los Angeles will look like downtown Kabul.

I live in CA and own numerous guns, shoot regularly and Im not a criminal. I think it is absolutely outrageous that i cannot legally carry a pistol to protect myself mostly due to the County i live in. They need to nationally recognize the concealed carry laws to allow any non criminal with the proper training to carry a weapon of their choice.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Didn't San Bernadino already allow CCW?? But also, how many CCW heroes would've been able to stop two fanatics with AK-47s? (or similar type weapons) It took quite a few fully trained LEO to do it, who knows how many CCW Jason Bourne wannabees it would've taken. Maybe the real issue should be how the couple was able to get their assault rifles as easily as they did.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM

79 posts, read 111,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Didn't San Bernadino already allow CCW?? But also, how many CCW heroes would've been able to stop two fanatics with AK-47s? (or similar type weapons) It took quite a few fully trained LEO to do it, who knows how many CCW Jason Bourne wannabees it would've taken. Maybe the real issue should be how the couple was able to get their assault rifles as easily as they did.
I would guess that a fair number of ccw holders could have possible served this country in some capacity and could arguably be better trained than LEOs. But maybe you're right and most are just Jason Bourne wannabees

If A few people were armed and aware, the DEFENSELESS people gunned down would have at least had a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates