Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM

658 posts, read 847,842 times

Advertisements

Tolerance ihas ALWAYS been a pc term that means you will accept and agree with ideas/beliefs even if you don't truly accept and agree with them. Eventually your tolerance will become acceptance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Tolerance ihas ALWAYS been a pc term that means you will accept and agree with ideas/beliefs even if you don't truly accept and agree with them. Eventually your tolerance will become acceptance.
The problem with your premise is that the word tolerance predates the coining of political correctness as a term, so you may want to revise your analysis.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
The problem with your premise is that the word tolerance predates the coining of political correctness as a term, so you may want to revise your analysis.
True. Just today I was telling people about my Mitchell's Intermediate Geography (Thomas, Cowperthwaite - 1853) which contains line "The Jewish religion is not tolerated" in its description of Norway.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
The problem is when you tolerate something just because its not bothering you today does not mean it wont bother you tomorrow and by that point the momentum may be to great to squelch it.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
It sounds like for some, the definition of "to tolerate" is the same as the definition of "to accept", and for them the definition of "to accept" is "to be forced". Forced into approval or close contact or any number of conditions that don't feel right to them. But I don't think people are really being forced. It's just that sometimes if you want A, then you'll have to comply with B. What's new about that? What's morph about that? That's old. And more to the point, who is forcing anyone to want A? Is anyone inextricably bound to A? (I'm talking about A as social issues that have been used as examples in this thread). There are still options available. There are still plenty of other letters in the alphabet besides A and B. ("At least in the US, for now").
Well, with all due respect to your profundity, words have meaning which are definitive. We don't get to pick and choose what they mean. When the law declares that a business owner must serve/hire homosexuals/minorities/cross-dressers, etc., that is in fact being forced to do something. The alternative is to to give up his business. That isn't a choice, and we both know that.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:10 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
I know what I think tolerance means, and it seems it's applied to one side, and doesn't to the other. Unequal application. And the divide has grown substantially since 2008.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why would you use the N-word? Why would such an intolerant thing ever be OK, especially when we are talking about the evolution of tolerance?

The concept of "tolerance" is the acceptance of other points of view and ways of doing things. That concept has evolved and now can be used as a weapon against political opponents, mostly by the Left but in some cases the Right has "turned the tables" and used "tolerance" against the Left.

You might say we are less tolerant now than we have ever been, or you might say that more people now have a voice with which to express their intolerance than ever before.
Are you suggesting that the n-word is no longer used?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:29 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you suggesting that the n-word is no longer used?
That's a non-sequitur. Nobody suggested that.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I've noticed that opposing viewpoints will cherry pick which commandments they believe have been violated by others and harp on those, rather than focusing on working on not violating any of the commandments.
Outside of #2, though she not create yourself an idol or worship another god, commandments are really nothing more than set of basic moral principles. Nothing wrong with them. Do not murder. Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not give false oath. Hard to call someone on those. Right?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll decide how I define toleration, and I'll decide what I tolerate.
Sorry to tell ya, friend, but the law(society) determines what you'll tolerate. And you'll do so or face the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates